Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The real (only?) premium experience is the one given by cabin crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The real (only?) premium experience is the one given by cabin crew

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by henkybaby
How long have you been in the UK now?
15 years. Still not touching their watery ales, give me Belgian beer any day

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I really like KLM's crews. More because they are familiar than anything else I can name.
I personally think KLM isn't what it used to be and I really can't remember any time in recent years that I was excited by them (although admittedly I fly them much less than BA). Familiarity is certainly part of things, although it's perhaps also cultural: even if you're not familiar with BA, the "Britishness" of it plays no doubt a role.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've since got over the excitement of being a newbie travelling in premium cabins and now get on with the business of getting from A-B as quickly as possible. I have found Iberia crew to be very professional but they aren't exactly thrill givers....which suits me just fine.
That's fair enough ^ - but I do love travelling (both the travel itself as well as being in interesting places) and like it to be more than just getting me from A to B.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
On any given flight, I can be just as upset by shoddy or badly-maintained hard product/facilities as by poor service standards.

However ....... my own perspective on this topic is ultimately defined by the fact that the most memorable flights from years past are those where I felt the CC were truly special. Such flights have, in all honesty, been relatively few & far between, and involve a very small number of carriers from a broad spectrum totalling 84, to date (a figure which I know is almost certainly dwarfed by many FT members).

Like any airline anorak, I will gladly spend hours debating the best row/seat on various airlines and equipment types, along with the choice of cognac, or the merits of providing onboard showers & lounge bars versus possible extra personal space within F suites. And I recognise that for many folk, the quality of IFE could well be the most important aspect, whereas to me me it's never been that big a deal.

But when all said & done, I do believe that a top crew (on long sectors, that is) have always had more potential to make a journey enjoyable than some new bit of hardware gizmo.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
A good crew can enhance a good product but they cannot make a poor product anymore then average.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
A good crew can enhance a good product but they cannot make a poor product anymore then average.
I'm more with subject2load on this:

Originally Posted by subject2load
However ....... my own perspective on this topic is ultimately defined by the fact that the most memorable flights from years past are those where I felt the CC were truly special.
I tend to never forget the flights where you get really amazing crews, whereas the rest tends to fade out over time.

But obviously, we all have our own preferences and perspectives!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: BA
Just out of interest. What day did you fly?

I was on BA216 on the 31st.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MNManInKen
I personally think KLM isn't what it used to be and I really can't remember any time in recent years that I was excited by them (although admittedly I fly them much less than BA). Familiarity is certainly part of things, although it's perhaps also cultural: even if you're not familiar with BA, the "Britishness" of it plays no doubt a role.
What made KL unexciting was the hard product (meh lounges, slippery slope seats although the bulk of the fleet has been refitted to the new seats now and they are fine). KL crews, though, are at least as friendly and attentive as BA ones, IME, albeit in a somewhat more, umm, 'direct' style at times. Beyond that, yes, it becomes a cultural matter.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BABenchley
Just out of interest. What day did you fly?

I was on BA216 on the 31st.
So was I
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GGL

Now, I've just returned from IAD (in F) and while my negative opinion on how the premium product is being senselessly undermined stands, it was one of those occasions where I had an absolutely brilliant crew. The CSD (Graham) and crew member (Paul) who looked after me were amazing. Warm, truly engaged service, great communication, working hard throughout the flight to give us the best possible, attentive, competent service.
I had a similarly excellent experience on the way back from JFK earlier this week. The CC (none CSD) Mark, Robert and a lady whose name has sadly completely slipped my mind were absolutely fabulous in all respects. I honestly do not know how they do it. They can take away my loo flowers and amuse bouche, but they can never take away the wonderful people. When they do, that's the end.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Indeed, very well put.

You can't polish a t**d as they would say in some parts.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:34 am

I have to say I was on the upper deck, forward cabin and I had a really grumpy lady serving my aisle. She just threw the tray down and didn't speak.

The one thing about BA is their crew are really really inconsistent.

On the bright side, the other guy serving my aisle was super nice and it was a brand new A380.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BABenchley
I have to say I was on the upper deck, forward cabin and I had a really grumpy lady serving my aisle. She just threw the tray down and didn't speak.

The one thing about BA is their crew are really really inconsistent.

On the bright side, the other guy serving my aisle was super nice and it was a brand new A380.
I was in F, in 2A, so would have been a different crew. I presume the CSD came to say hello? He was great with me and I am only a lowly Silver!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:07 am

I think they were worldwide crew but wasn't sure.

The CSD didn't come to say hello but that's normal for a night flight.
The flight was heavy with status passengers, saw lots of baggage tags.

I assume the CSD did meet you as that's normal procedures for FIRST service delivery.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
On a late night flight I would speak to customers in First and to those who I was serving.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That's fair enough ^ - but I do love travelling (both the travel itself as well as being in interesting places) and like it to be more than just getting me from A to B.
Good for you. ^

Maybe I need to try it without the wife in tow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.