Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck [BA participation]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:37 am

What's the current state of affairs at ORD T5? I understand there's no PreCheck at T5 and that it may be possible to use the PreCheck at T3, but I'm not particularly interested in going to T5 to check bags and get a BP, taking the landside shuttle bus to T3, going through security, and then taking the airside shuttle bus back to T5.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The value of PreCheck is also the speed with which the line moves. It is estimated that PreCheck processes 6-7 passengers for every passenger processed by a standard line. That may be a combination of the use of magnetometers rather than slower machines as well as the relative sophistication of the passengers and the fact that they are hauling less out of their bags.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The value of PreCheck is also the speed with which the line moves. It is estimated that PreCheck processes 6-7 passengers for every passenger processed by a standard line. That may be a combination of the use of magnetometers rather than slower machines as well as the relative sophistication of the passengers and the fact that they are hauling less out of their bags.
For me the value is absolutely in not having to remove my shoes or belt, not having to remove computers from my carry-on, being able to send small toothpaste tubes without scrutiny, (when I used it and assuming I need to use it again in the future) not having my CPAP machine removed and swabbed, etc. It also means my wife can send breast milk through the X-ray machine without causing an international incident (they do still need to test it).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
What's the current state of affairs at ORD T5? I understand there's no PreCheck at T5 and that it may be possible to use the PreCheck at T3, but I'm not particularly interested in going to T5 to check bags and get a BP, taking the landside shuttle bus to T3, going through security, and then taking the airside shuttle bus back to T5.
At some times there is a Pre-Lite line. Normally I am leaving out of T5 later on in the day (after 7:00 or 7:30 PM) and T5 security is really busy and there is no Pre line but you can get Pre Lite once you get past the document checker.

The biggest issue with going to T3 after you check in and drop your baggage is the ATS is shut down Monday-Friday and there have been issues with the shuttle busses serving as its replacement (wait times for a bus > 1 hour). So you may want to just deal with T5 security.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by skippythelizard

I'll take a look tonight...but hopefully @vinnyc will beat me to it.
First one to post then 😉I’m flying out at 8:15pm FYI
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by vinnyc
We're all sitting on the edge of our seats, waiting to see who is the winner!

rb211.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
The biggest issue with going to T3 after you check in and drop your baggage is the ATS is shut down Monday-Friday and there have been issues with the shuttle busses serving as its replacement (wait times for a bus > 1 hour). So you may want to just deal with T5 security.
That's why I have zero interest in backtracking to T3 - it'd be a simple enough trip if the ATS was running. Or, more accurately, will be running when we take our trip in May. Plus we'll have a 10-month-old with us, and we'll probably check his stroller at the ticket counter.

I'm going to choose to be optimistic about them opening a Pre lane at T5 in the next 6 months or so.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:57 pm

TSA PRE in ORD T5

I detest flying out of ORD T5. There is no specific TSA Pre line so, once you go through the document check, you join the general melee (similar to a rugby scrum). If the person supervising the scanning is feeling magnanimous, you get to keep your shoes on. All other security screening applies. It is nothing like US airports where there is a dedicated TSA-Pre security line. Disappointment continues if you have lounge access. The lounge is tired and seating inadequate for the numbers using it. Worse still is the mens toilet (note the use of singular). There is only one single cubicle and, when the lounge is busy, the state of the place can only be described as squalid.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Definitas
There is only one single cubicle and, when the lounge is busy, the state of the place can only be described as squalid.
How does that rate against "The Worst Toilet in Scotland?"

rb211.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vinnyc
Still TSA PRE Lite, but a very short queue, as I’m on the 23:15 flight.

I didn’t chance it with the mobile BP as they were still manually stamping BPs to allow you to go through the metal detector. The TSA Agent checking BPs was keeping a manual written log, I assume to count PRE BPs....just recorded my flight number on list.

Now in CCR....but quietly wishing I was at ORD to personally witness the squalor.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
For me the value is absolutely in not having to remove my shoes or belt, not having to remove computers from my carry-on, being able to send small toothpaste tubes without scrutiny, (when I used it and assuming I need to use it again in the future) not having my CPAP machine removed and swabbed, etc. It also means my wife can send breast milk through the X-ray machine without causing an international incident (they do still need to test it).
As a note if you have two laptops and 3 tablets in one bag as I sometimes do for work, it doesn’t often make it through without taking some items out of the bag. But most people look at you like you’re crazy if you take stuff out of your bag as you’re slowing down the queue, so I generally just let TSA decide if they want to do a secondary scan.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by skippythelizard

Still TSA PRE Lite, but a very short queue, as I’m on the 23:15 flight.

I didn’t chance it with the mobile BP as they were still manually stamping BPs to allow you to go through the metal detector. The TSA Agent checking BPs was keeping a manual written log, I assume to count PRE BPs....just recorded my flight number on list.

Now in CCR....but quietly wishing I was at ORD to personally witness the squalor.
So there's no precheck lane on the right? Sorry for the incorrect information!

When I went through fast track last week no one was being told what to do if you did have precheck, so everyone just did the usual stuff.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chistery
So there's no precheck lane on the right? Sorry for the incorrect information!

When I went through fast track last week no one was being told what to do if you did have precheck, so everyone just did the usual stuff.
It was late (after 20:00), so it is possible it was open earlier.

All in all PRE Light was fine. I was through in 2 or 3 minutes...kept shoes on and was sent through metal detector.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than speculating, just use the TSA scheduler on its website. It provides the opening times for full Pre-Check lines by airport, terminal (if applicable) and time slot. Note that it does not include variations from full PreCheck as almost all checkpoints, even at very small stations without PreCheck advertised, do provide some form of Lite.

Also useful because there are constant changes to schedules, so best to check the calendar rather than asking someone to look at what is open today.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule

Last edited by Often1; Nov 30, 2018 at 3:13 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Mobile boarding pass working

Confirming vinnyc's report - flew back from Las Vegas yesterday and got a mobile boarding pass with TSA Pre. The (Android) app did still has a warning that it wasn't available, but then it delivered it anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.