TSA Precheck [BA participation]

Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Calchas
"Fast track" at JFK T8 is often over an hour
Can you use a different terminal to enter at JFK and then connect airside? If not, and Fast Track is really that bad then you should make your feelings known to BA, TSA and airport authorities. It may not be a lot of good on its own, but if people don't complain...
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by techie
Can you use a different terminal to enter at JFK and then connect airside? If not, and Fast Track is really that bad then you should make your feelings known to BA, TSA and airport authorities. It may not be a lot of good on its own, but if people don't complain...
No, and fast track at T8 really is that bad. I doubt BA would care since BA operate exclusively from T7. T8 is predominately AA.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is tremendous confusion, perhaps generated by too many snappy acronyms.

1. "Fast Track" and other terms used by air carriers are simply air carrier premium lines which offer faster access to standard security lines. That is all. It is only expedited because there are fewer people in the line to reach the TSA podium. But, the expedited processing is not available.

2. "Global Entry" is CBP's expedited processing for inbound passengers to the US. It is not directly related to outbound security processing. If you are at a Pre-Clearance station, it may have Global Entry (most now do).

3. "Pre-Check" is TSA's expedited security feature. It is available as part of GE or separately. As of 2/1, TSA has advised that it has been terminated for those who have not paid for it through one of the Trusted Traveler programs (which could include joint Canadian programs). Pre-Check means not removing shoes or jackets, laptops or small liquids and not using MMW technology. On average, Pre-Check processes passengers at 7-8x the speed of the standard lines, whether "fast track" or not. It is not a perk which a carrier may provide to its favored passengers.

The growth of Pre-Check has led to the slow demise of Fast Track lanes. Put simply, most US-based frequent fliers have figured out that it is the reduced security and speed of processing which makes it worth it. Thus, it is off to Pre-Check and not Fast Track for them.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks for that exposition, Often1 ... now I have to consider whether we go for GE

The older we get, the less we want to stand in line for ages.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by T8191
Thanks for that exposition, Often1 ... now I have to consider whether we go for GE
I'd say a single visit to JFK T7 landing after one of the CX flights, or a single trip to LAX customs is justification enough for GE. It also makes MIA connections possible in case you're looking at any non-BA Caribbean or Mexican destinations.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it tends to be the 'creative routing' sectors within the US (having departed from DUB) that leads my thinking. With friends in both PHX and ANC, and the everlasting temptations of Hawaii, this tends to lead us to DUB-CLT/PHL-LAX etc. We would energeticallly avoid anything to do with JFK, but I take your point on that. Never had a problem at LAX, I must admit, but perhaps we've been lucky!

I might make an appointment at PHX when we're there fir a couple of weeks in Mar/Apr, if I can find the parking lot in the maze of that airport!! It will, equally, be interesting to see what we get on our BPs for PHL-PHX when they're printed at DUB.

Last edited by T8191; Feb 5, 2017 at 8:50 am
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al

The older we get, the less we want to stand in line for ages.
A solution might be on the horizon

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/screening...s-75-and-older
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There should be no impediment to using an electronic BP for domestic segments once you have entered the US. But, in any event, if for some reason a paper BP issued outside the US does not contain the Pre-Check logo, try reprinting it after you are through CBP on arrival in the US (or after domestic arrival if on a Pre-Clearance flight). Most carriers, and AA in particular, have kiosks scattered around which will operate based on your PNR (make certain to use your AA PNR), ticket #, or CC matching ticketed name.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Close, but not close enough. Why is a 72-yo more dangerous?

Originally Posted by Often1
There should be no impediment to using an electronic BP for domestic segments once you have entered the US. But, in any event, if for some reason a paper BP issued outside the US does not contain the Pre-Check logo, try reprinting it after you are through CBP on arrival in the US (or after domestic arrival if on a Pre-Clearance flight). Most carriers, and AA in particular, have kiosks scattered around which will operate based on your PNR (make certain to use your AA PNR), ticket #, or CC matching ticketed name.
Interesting ... I don't do the electronic fandango, but a re-print is an interesting idea. Thanks for that.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:58 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Close, but not close enough. Why is a 72-yo more dangerous?

Interesting ... I don't do the electronic fandango, but a re-print is an interesting idea. Thanks for that.
I usually find that you can get an electronic boarding pass too, with the Pre logo on, before leaving the UK. Sometimes, if you cannot log in on the AA app, you can download the boarding pass after check-in at the airport.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Markie
I usually find that you can get an electronic boarding pass too, with the Pre logo on, before leaving the UK. Sometimes, if you cannot log in on the AA app, you can download the boarding pass after check-in at the airport.
I assume I have to wave my iPad, then? OK, I'll give that a try!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
it tends to be the 'creative routing' sectors within the US (having departed from DUB) that leads my thinking. With friends in both PHX and ANC, and the everlasting temptations of Hawaii, this tends to lead us to DUB-CLT/PHL-LAX etc. We would energeticallly avoid anything to do with JFK, but I take your point on that. Never had a problem at LAX, I must admit, but perhaps we've been lucky!

I might make an appointment at PHX when we're there fir a couple of weeks in Mar/Apr, if I can find the parking lot in the maze of that airport!! It will, equally, be interesting to see what we get on our BPs for PHL-PHX when they're printed at DUB.
The CBP office is near the baggage claim area in T4. Short term parking is on either end of T4, with the turnoff at the start of the departures level on either side. There are a pair of cylindrical structures on either end of the building which are the ramps to/from the parking levels. Feel free to message me if you have any questions, it's pretty straightforward, and definitely an easy location for an interview. Also, even if you cannot get an appointment, just make one for the future and then try to drop in while you're there.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, dylanks ... and I hope we can meet for a beer or two (but no more!) while we're in AZ
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:00 pm
chp

Programs: BAEC Silver
Apologies for creating some confusion. All our flights ex-DUB have generated TSAPre✓ on our subsequent sectors within the USA. As KARFA notes above, TSAPre✓ does not exist at DUB [or anywhere outside the USA].

At DUB itself, the only benefit is Priority Security when flying J and, of course, US Pre-Clearance. As we don't have GE, I have no idea what that implies at DUB. We go through the normal Immigration process, using the e-passport booths [when they work] and the friendly Border Agent.

I know someone who has just got TSAPre on their boarding pass for DUB-PHL. As, has been said, there is no TSAPre in Dublin is this essentially useless?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:19 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by chp

I know someone who has just got TSAPre on their boarding pass for DUB-PHL. As, has been said, there is no TSAPre in Dublin is this essentially useless?
Yes, totally and utterly useless! It's a pretty unhelpful feature of AA's version of Sabre, and it appears whatever your departure airport and on pre-print, electronic, and airport printed BPs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.