Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck [BA participation]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The pressure will need to come from BA's large corporate customers not from one-off tickets such as yours.

The same companies which will gladly pay for GE for their employees will also push BA to make the Pre-Check links work. WN does not interline with any other carrier and has its own closed system. But, it manages Pre-Check. If WN can handle a given IT task, anyone can handle that task.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, let's say I need a biz class ticket from the USA to London. BA's refusal to give me a free advance biz class seat assignment and refusal to participate in precheck puts me on another carrier (assuming everything else is roughly equal). I'm sure I wouldn't be alone. That's got to be real money to them. No?
Not if the other carrier is AA.
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
The pressure will need to come from BA's large corporate customers not from one-off tickets such as yours.

The same companies which will gladly pay for GE for their employees will also push BA to make the Pre-Check links work. WN does not interline with any other carrier and has its own closed system. But, it manages Pre-Check. If WN can handle a given IT task, anyone can handle that task.
For the uninitiated, WN is Southwest.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:54 am

Adding KTN to BA booked AA flight without aa.com

I have a BA-ticketed AA operated flight coming up. Just logged onto aa.com to enter KTNs for the party and had a surprise that my son's (infant) details show when i click on my wife's name.

AA phone agent assures me that all is well in the back end (infant appears linked to mother but mothers details are correct behind the scenes), but will not add KTN for me as this is a BA controlled ticket and they have a "no modify" policy. BA do not seem to recognise KTN as a field and therefore they can't add.

Once the flight dates are reached, do AA get more control over the ticket?
Obviously precheck doesn't matter for the outbound ex-LON, but would it be possible at that point for a checkin or lounge agent to add the KTN in the hope of making through the systems in time for the return flight?

I do know I should have booked direct, but I needed the extra BA coded flights to maintain status otherwise all those nice tier points would have gone to waste
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by londonsmiler
Once the flight dates are reached, do AA get more control over the ticket?
Obviously precheck doesn't matter for the outbound ex-LON, but would it be possible at that point for a checkin or lounge agent to add the KTN in the hope of making through the systems in time for the return flight?
Yes, AA can modify when in the final hours before the first flight, so it shouldn't be a problem. Worst case scenario is to give the KTNs at the AA check-in desk for the return flight and get them to reprint; however if you have a few spare minutes on the outbound then the Admirals Club reception in LHR T3 will be able to do it for you.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:05 am

Thankyou for the speedy and informative reply (as always).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1

The vast, vast majority of WN flights are within the US and they would lose market share if they didn't participate in Pre.

Whilst the US is an important market for BA the number of flights and passengers affected is relatively small in toto.

EI and IB don't participate either so maybe it's an IAG decision?

For the vast majority of BA passengers doing the IT work needed for pre would come way down on the priority list of IT issues for BA to solve.
dougzz likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Just how much IT work is needed? There are foreign airlines that fly into/out of the US with one flight a day into some airports and they still have PreCheck. BA just doesn't care. Anyone who wants PreCheck should just fly AA. If there was no JV and people flying AA instead would have hurt BA revenue, they would probably wise up.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by techie
BA just doesn't care. Anyone who wants PreCheck should just fly AA.
Or Virgin Atlantic, which is the alternative carrier for me from SFO->LHR
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
TSA announced five more airlines, to include Cathay, joining Pre-Check bringing the total to 42. Too bad regarding BA.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I do wish BA would add precheck. I am considering flying VS instead of BA so that I can get precheck.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:22 pm

I heard yesterday that BA will be joining TSA pre-check ‘early next year’. Hence expect an announcement soon.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Delete.

Last edited by Rubecula; Nov 3, 2017 at 2:33 pm Reason: Misread the post.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by StingWest
Or Virgin Atlantic, which is the alternative carrier for me from SFO->LHR
I suspect that those who have strong loyalty to BA to push for them to have PreCheck are also those who are less likely to stray from the same alliance unless the cost different is significantly attractive.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by jameslon
I heard yesterday that BA will be joining TSA pre-check ‘early next year’. Hence expect an announcement soon.
Excellent news if they are, but it's a year later than it should've been IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.