Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can we ban the 'C' word from BAEC FT?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
I don't think the OP needs to worry, as compensation will end up being enhanced; post Brexit, EU261 will no longer apply to UK departures which are approximately 50% of BA flights.
That depends on whether a way is found to opt in or enact similar legislation.

I'd be surprised if there were no consumer protections as popularity is a big thing for politicians and most MPs will know airlines will leave ordinary constituents in the lurch without legislation to enforce things.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
That depends on whether a way is found to opt in or enact similar legislation.

I'd be surprised if there were no consumer protections as popularity is a big thing for politicians and most MPs will know airlines will leave ordinary constituents in the lurch without legislation to enforce things.
I suspect the priority of the government will be to provide a low tax, low regulation, business-friendly economy especially as the EU has give us a handy leg up in the global market with the Irish tax fiasco. We may see the BA part of IAG re-domilciled in the UK to take advantage of this.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
I've been flying BA for 12 years maybe 6/7 times per year leisure (plus double that flying family around) and have never sought compo (despite some diabolical incidents).

But I would definitely say the c word is absolutely appropriate when describing the current mob dictating the passenger onslaught.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:43 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
OT: (sorry)

kanderson1965: it's no wonder they lost their screwdriver...Squirrels are neutral (at least German ones ) and they tend to use screw pullers rather than screw turners...

Re: Mein Eichhörnchen hat seinen Schraubendreher verloren

Back to compensation...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
This is the Zeitgeist.

It has become apparent to many who are actually flying that BA's willingness to respond to service deficiencies has become seriously impeded, and the communication has been clear that this is a directive from on high.

It seems to me that a client base that is captive, either by reason of corporate policy or by reason of a significant investment in accumulation miles/status should be free to discuss how to respond to a significant change in corporate culture.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by BotB
OT: (sorry)

kanderson1965: it's no wonder they lost their screwdriver...Squirrels are neutral (at least German ones ) and they tend to use screw pullers rather than screw turners...

Re: Mein Eichhörnchen hat seinen Schraubendreher verloren

Back to compensation...
Busted
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I think the 'C' word (customer) should be banned and we return to using the old term passenger.
passengers? What are they? We are self loading cargo
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:54 pm

I suspect the priority of the government will be to provide a low tax, low regulation, business-friendly economy especially as the EU has give us a handy leg up in the global market with the Irish tax fiasco. We may see the BA part of IAG re-domilciled in the UK to take advantage of this.
Can't you run a low tax, low regulation economy whilst continuing to prove consumer protection?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:56 am

Can't you run a low tax, low regulation economy whilst continuing to prove consumer protection?
It depends where you want to draw the line on regulation, what is more important to you, business profitability or consumer protection?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:00 am

It depends where you want to draw the line on regulation, what is more important to you, business profitability or consumer protection?
That is only a valid set-off for poorly run (or exploitative) businesses. Any business that is being run effectively has little to fear from consumer protection.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:13 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by PETER01
Just my own little 2c worth and I can see where you might be coming from and sometimes it may seem that way but I'd respectfully disagree that it's in nearly every thread although there have been lots of sometimes justifiable moans recently.

I just had a look at the first 50 odd thread titles and there really isn't that many I think in the big scale of things. It also depends on how and what is written in the thread types you refer to.

If it's "Britair are rubbish, CX, VS etc are better, I spend xy amount each year, DTKWIA (They!) then I switch off as some are pure rants.
Honey, I love the way that you qualify the "sometimes justifiable" moans. The trouble is that the others that are exaggerated out of all proportion tend to detract from the genuine. What I deplore equally is people hiding behind the anonymity of the internet to make claims and accusations to which they would never have the nerve to say in person. How many threads have we had where shoddy cabin service is accepted at the time and then complained about here. Are people such shrinking violets that they won't say anything but have more than their say here? Are people that afraid of confronting some silly person who out of laziness or ignorance can't or wn't deiver proper service? I have to wonder sometimes if the BA that I know is in a parallel universe to the about which I read.

No - the C word should never be banned but it should not be the first priority either. Again, I can but conclude that some people use BA because they have no other choice or say. It was loss of revenue that stopped Mr Nasty from Ryanair in his tracks. Loads here say that they're leaving, but they never do. Strange that.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:19 am

I don't see why they aren't compatible. To make profits you don't need to treat your customers badly. To the contrary I would have thought looking after customers well would be a good way of generating repeat business and profits.

There are plenty of good businesses around that treat customers well and make money. Really its a sad indictment of the airline industry that in this case it requires the backing of regulation to ensure travellers are not shafted.

For that reason I would expect some form of substitute legislation if Brexit eventually happens.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:29 am

I don't see why they aren't compatible. To make profits you don't need to treat your customers badly. To the contrary I would have thought looking after customers well would be a good way of generating repeat business and profits.

There are plenty of good businesses around that treat customers well and make money. Really its a sad indictment of the airline industry that in this case it requires the backing of regulation to ensure travellers are not shafted.

For that reason I would expect some form of substitute legislation if Brexit eventually happens.
I think the airlines would argue that it should be down to them and commercial considerations what compensation is due, not regulations. They are clealy not happy with the present regulations and will make strong representation for them to be scrapped or at least severely watered down.

Much as we would like a fair system, the interests of big business will always come first.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:38 am

I think the airlines would argue that it should be down to them and commercial considerations what compensation is due, not regulations. They are clealy not happy with the present regulations and will make strong representation for them to be scrapped or at least severely watered down.

Much as we would like a fair system, the interests of big business will always come first.
Which is of course their right.

However, even with the current regulations it is clear that the market is not working in the UK as can be seen by the large savings to be made on ex-EU flights.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:07 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold

The problem with that was that back in the day, it *was* down to the airlines and commercial considerations took priority over passengers, with the result that passengers got shafted. Hence a need for regulation was seen and it was consequently done.

Clearly airlines don't like them - it costs them money and forces them to behave in a way that considers their customers properly in the general scheme of things, but it would be a brave government that capitulates to the airlines on this and doesn't retain some form of regulation. The notion of compensation when things go wrong is now well-rooted in the minds of customers who may remember what it used to be like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.