Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I thought you were referring to Cruz
Me too!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Not a problem for me if people want to create threads on it. No-one makes me read them, some are interesting, some aren't. That's t'interweb for you.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I'd rather keep discussions about this sort of thing alive. One day it will happen to me and I will be grateful for the advice that I will be able to find here. Meantime, I read about other people's experiences. Maybe it could be focused into one or two threads about that subject.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I suspect that as BA has accelerated its penny-pinching through service cuts, then some passengers have (perhaps subconsciously) increased their own attempts get full value out of their pennies.
This. BA's cutbacks have eroded goodwill that might have otherwise been higher among some travelers, so it's no wonder that people want to feel they've had full utility from the features/services remaining.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
In any realtionship, when the parties are broadly equal in power and treat each other with respect, trust goes both ways and most issues can be dealt with fairly and amicably.

This is how I feel about me and BA 25 years ago.

When the parties are unequal, and the powerful one abuses its position, the weaker one will feel its trust betrayed and will seek to defend itself by all means possible.

This is how I feel about me and BA today.

I simply don't trust them to treat me with respect. So when things go wrong, it's straight to the contract...

Claiming compensation is an outcome of BA's unreasonable behaviour, not some moral failure by the wronged party !
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by strichener
As many have said on here - BA don't care for you as an individual, they are a business. Since air travel has been one of the few areas that has managed to escape consumer protection, unfair contract etc. laws, we have seen BA take advantage of this with a one-sided contract where the balance of risk is very skewed towards the customer. A business where services are offered at a cost and not provided and the customer then has to go to the hassle of claiming a refund of the purchase price with no other recourse. I cannot say that I am at all surprised.
So agree with you. We have been let down by the regulating agencies. We, as consumers, have to fully pay and then be bound by a labyrinthine contract of carriage, which gives largely the airlines an "out" no matter what their failings...with a few exceptions...thank you for EU Rule 261!! Recently having to wait over two months for a simple refund on a fare that even BA couldn't figure out, even though it's their fare, pointed up to me again how ridiculous this system is. Someone needs to hold the airlines' feet to the fire. If it is not going to be the regulators, then the internet will serve as an imperfect way of doing that for the time being.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IcHot
The wussies are the one that take it lying down!

A few years back we had horrible service on some trains in the north of England. I followed the advice of a train company employee and wrote a letter of complaint to each train company.

They responded with some return of payment or vouchers. I thought more of them afterward and felt better about standing up and being heard.

By contacting the company, we empower the people that want to have a good company. By suffering Hiddy style, we allow those in the company who impose poor service to say "No one is complaining!" and abetting the rot.
I agree, the customer should always be compensated when the service provider hasn't delivered what they were contracted to do.
However....my comment was aimed at the chisellers.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by rossmacd
What are the collective thoughts?
Speaking for myself, the internet sometimes feels to me like the only way of highlighting poor customer service. Some companies are great at resolving issues, but some are very very bad. I've rarely had bad service from BA, and have sometimes had excellent service. But I'm aware that it's very hard to communicate with BA; there are long waits to talk to a real person on the phone, and they haven't introduced any other real alternatives (unlike most other companies). They're making vast profits but it seems, from reading here, that when BA fail to live up to reasonable expectations they try very hard to wriggle out of their obligations.

If I spend thousands of pounds on flights that, to me, are an important part of my travel experience, I expect to end up feeling satisfied. I expect any problems to be rectified as quickly and graciously as possible.

I appreciate that these days many companies have decided to go along the route of "if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere", and BA appear to be heading that way too. But most of us would like them to be an excellent airline. How do you propose we get our message across to companies that we dearly want to remain loyal to, when they start making it harder for us to want to use them? Compensation doesn't cost them much, compared to the profits they're making, but increased demands might make them stop and think.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Each time there is a service failure BA lose the opportunity to cement their relationship with the customer. It's quite worrying that in a lot of instances they could provide a decent service recovery without incurring much, if any cost.
An anecdotal example; I had booked a tour at a US attraction recently, but when I turned up the tour had left and I found they had mistakenly booked me for the following day and had given me incorrect advice on when to be there.
They acknowledged all of this, came back and offered me a slightly different tour, a touch more expensive, along with a meal voucher and a snack voucher. I didn't ask for any of that, but they sorted it all out and I came away thrilled and ready to sing their praises.
Can anyone honestly say given a recent contact with BA CS they have had the same outcome? I'm not including CC in this, who to me are BA's greatest asset, and who BA seem to be in a hurry to 'enhance' along with the onboard service.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Can we ban the 'C' word from BAEC FT?

Just my own little 2c worth and I can see where you might be coming from and sometimes it may seem that way but I'd respectfully disagree that it's in nearly every thread although there have been lots of sometimes justifiable moans recently.

I just had a look at the first 50 odd thread titles and there really isn't that many I think in the big scale of things. It also depends on how and what is written in the thread types you refer to.

If it's "Britair are rubbish, CX, VS etc are better, I spend xy amount each year, DTKWIA (They!) then I switch off as some are pure rants.

I also don't think we should ban the C word, just my own personal view. Why?

Many a time posters come on here and if they don't know how things work they can be given a plethora of advice and the likes of the wonderful EU 261 thread by corporate-wage-slave can answer many questions or they can be given guidance etc.

As for service failure compensations they do seem to vary but it seems that BA are most definitely cutting back on Avios Compensation recently. Compensation settlements can also give readers of this board what to perhaps expect but each case/complaint sometimes has it's own unique set of circumstances so I'd rather keep the topic alive.

Last edited by PETER01; Aug 31, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
No. BA's marketing is heading off into the stratosphere whilst the actual product is cut to the bone, meaning expectations versus reality are on an ever diverging path. Of course, BA doesn't dare market cleanliness, as that should be a given, but on both that and the hyperbolically-advertised product I will continue to use complaints and compensation requests as the only formal way to register my protest.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Why is the 'C' word mentioned in almost every thread these days?

For those who haven't yet clicked yet, I am referring to the word 'compensation'....nothing else!

I hope that I am not alone in noticing the worrying trend with the number threads and posts on the BA board regarding compensation - "how much can I claim, what am I entitled to for x, how many Avios will BA give me?"

It is beginning to get a bit tedious in my opinion, and many posters view any service failure (flight delays, baggage delays, dirty seats etc) as an opportunity to claim 'compensation'.

There are situations where quite rightly there is compensation available, under EC261/2004. But everything else is just getting a bit tiresome on here.

Granted, if BA were to improve (significantly) the whole ground and air product/service, then there would be fewer complaints, but why is compensation sought in so many cases? I am certainly no BA apologist, but I can see why BA are tightening up on how many Avios BA are dishing out as service recovery, as it seems every service failure results in a request for compensation.

What are the collective thoughts?
Don't read the threads that bother you, and understand that in an Internet community even if the threads you don't like appeal or are helpful to 10 percent or 20 percent or 5 percent of that community, and fall within the TOS of that community, then there is no reason to try and stifle or ban the thoughts of others.

If the threads you refer to get 0 replies, they eventually will go away or lessen, because the OPs won't have received any engagement or feedback.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Ban the 'cloud' word? Never!

On a serious note, plenty of threads with compensation in them which I generally just don't look at, however, occasionally there is a really good question and bit of advice that does come along that provides some useful new (to me at least) info for future IRROPS situations we may all find ourselves in so I'm in favour of just letting them be and moving on to things that do interest you. These things go in swings and roundabouts anyway and we'll soon have a new flavour of the month anyway with the background level of such queries that are always here (rightfully so as a source of info and help where warranted IMO).

I believe that we can collectively change what is talked about by being more active and simply posting about those topics that interest us personally and which hopefully provide more bandwidth and diverse aspects of the BAEC / BA world...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I don't think the OP needs to worry, as compensation will end up being enhanced; post Brexit, EU261 will no longer apply to UK departures which are approximately 50% of BA flights.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by strichener
... and the response from BA is basically "we are sorry that we let you down on this occasion, now p*ss off" (obviously I have added the last three words myself) rather than offer some type of service recovery for a service failure then it is no wonder that people want to extract the maximum possible.
To be even more annoying they actually write something on the lines of "we hope you will be daft enough to continue flying with us."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.