Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by B_Leicester
Hi Everyone.
I have read this thread, and can't say how I know this, but wanted to let anyone who is thinking of 'Maxing Out' the card with refundable purchases before it closes, with subsequent refunds, know that MBNA & BA are well aware of people intending to do this: and it may lead to an audit of your Exec account to reinstate the balance, and potentially further actions/scrutiny if you have a history of this.
Best,
B.

Interesting first post from a new joiner
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Interesting free correction from Paralytic too
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
It wouldn't have been too hard for MBNA to avoid the purchase/refund problem if they'd given it a tiny bit of thought beforehand. If only they'd had several years from the purchase of BMI to work out what they'd do....
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
Bye Bye DC

i'll miss you.

There doesn't appear to be an easy solution other than take out a BA/Amex credit card AND another MC/Visa with (say) tescos for the moments when Amex isn't accepted. I don't yet know how easy it is to xfer clubcard points into avios as yet.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond,
I just went to make some domestic flight bookings through the Diamondclub discount link and things have changed since researching some fares last night. There has never been any choice of BA Basic or Plus choice with the MBNA link. The discounts on domestic fares has been erratic but have been booking as Plus fares providing the standard Plus benefits.

Today the fares are booking as non-refundable with a £60 change fee and a re-price, allocated seating and a checked bag. There is not the on the day free change of flight you would get with a Plus booking.

Pricing wise the fare is more midway between a Basic fare and Plus. Unless you want allocated seating or checked baggage you are better off not using the discount link. I phoned BA who looked at the fare and it is being costed with a 10% discount and they agree the ticket type is midway between a Basic and Plus as far as the fare rules. They also said their system shows a £70 change fee and advised me to keep evidence of the £60 fee.

As I don't travel with checked luggage and I don't need flexibility to change on the day I have cancelled and re-booked as a Basic fare.

Keep an eye out when you book especially if you are used to the flights through MBNA booking as Plus tickets.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:32 pm

Does anyone know if you can use the BA Amex credit card with Android Pay? I called them and the guy I spoke to didn't have a clue.

Another question if I were to take the MBNA AA advantage card are the AA points interchangeable with Avios/BA?

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by ayrshiredude
Does anyone know if you can use the BA Amex credit card with Android Pay? I called them and the guy I spoke to didn't have a clue.

Another question if I were to take the MBNA AA advantage card are the AA points interchangeable with Avios/BA?

Thanks
On the 2nd point, no. You can use them for Oneworld redemptions but you can't convert them to Avios.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat

Thanks
They are much more valuable then BA Pesos. Stick with AA miles only.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold

Thanks
Visa yes, but not AMEX
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by onlysuites
They are much more valuable then BA Pesos. Stick with AA miles only.
But you need a whole lot more of them in situations where it's not possible to use Avios. I maintain decent balances in both and will use Avios where possible and AA miles as an - expensive - last resort.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by golfmad
AA miles as an - expensive - last resort.
As they say in Good Ol' England "You having a laugh mate"
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's with much regret this news came through. I can't see anything even close to 2.5 per £ Amex and 1.25 per £ on the VISA. I have a Supercard linked to the VISA which means for every pound I spend everywhere is getting me 1.25 Avios.

Even if you had a BA Amex for the 241 and the Avios boost for BA spend you'd be better off with the DC card for the rest of your spending.

Everyone in my family has a DC card, some the free one and others the Plus card. With the BA and surcharges the 241 feels limited use and there's £200 for the privilege and the reduced earnings from the word go. Not to mention no non-Amex option.

Whats the alternative to VISA spending? There's still loads of places I travel to that don't accept Amex and if they do, I don't calculate that Avios are worth the 3% fee. I hear some chatter about the SPG card. Is that any good?

Thanks Brussels for more unwarranted interference and affecting the UK far more than other MS when it comes to credit cards.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by hugolover
Thanks Brussels for more unwarranted interference and affecting the UK far more than other MS when it comes to credit cards.
Just so we're clear, if the current class action against MasterCard for excessive interchange fees succeeds (and it should as the EU has already found them guilty and the only discussion is over the level of penalty) will you be accepting the £200 or so due to you or not?

I assume not, given your statement, as you do not seem to agree on interchange fee caps.

In terms of alternatives - Virgin Black, Emirates Elite, HSBC World Elite still give 1 mile per £1 on a MC or Visa. IHG Premium Visa is roughly 1p per £1 as well in rewards. None of these are free of course.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Just so we're clear, if the current class action against MasterCard for excessive interchange fees succeeds (and it should as the EU has already found them guilty and the only discussion is over the level of penalty) will you be accepting the £200 or so due to you or not?

I assume not, given your statement, as you do not seem to agree on interchange fee caps.

In terms of alternatives - Virgin Black, Emirates Elite, HSBC World Elite still give 1 mile per £1 on a MC or Visa. IHG Premium Visa is roughly 1p per £1 as well in rewards. None of these are free of course.
£200 or keeping my DC Amex? What do you think? 😜

I will take the politicians option. Protest and yet take the money anyway and my charity cheque gets lost in the post. But to be clear I would much rather keep the cards I have, the extra Avios is far more valuable than a measly £200. Presently I earn a minimum of 1.25 per £ anywhere in the world without any fees bar the annual card fee for the Plus card.

Do you need to have a MC to get this payout? The only one I have is the Supercard. A family member has the rather awful Llloyds Avios Amex/MC however.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Could someone please summarize options for both free and paid card options to replace DC mbna accounts ?

I'm guessing for free I could go virgin and move my credit limit from DC to this card and then paid IhG. ?

cs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.