Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Permanent Reduction of LCY-JFK from 31 Oct 2016 : BA3&4 cancelled.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Permanent Reduction of LCY-JFK from 31 Oct 2016 : BA3&4 cancelled.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:53 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
Didn't BA launch this route because of City grumblings about a lack of Concorde?
Well, maybe those City grumblers should get off their lazy asses and open their wallets a bit wider to make the route profitable if they want it to stay!

Seems an odd comparison to make. Other than the ego boosting flight number, I can't really see any relevant comparison to Concorde here:

LHR-JFK: Scheduled Duration 7hr 45min
LCY-JFK: Scheduled Duration 9hr 25min

I know JFK immigration can sometimes see long queues, but not usually long enough to justify the extra time for the pre-clearance stop on BA1. So it all comes down to individual proximity to LCY. Just because LCY is close to Canary Wharf doesn't necessarily make BA1 appealing even if you work there, since its departure time means many people will be going straight from home to the airport.

I've always thought it was a service that was doomed to ultimately fail. Should we run a sweepstake as to when it will be cut?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gms
LHR-JFK: Scheduled Duration 7hr 45min
LCY-JFK: Scheduled Duration 9hr 25min
7h45+1h minimum check in time = 8h45
9h25+20 minutes check in time = 9h45

You then add immigration, and time differences in driving there, etc.

That said, I personally think that BA started CWLCY because AF had been open about their plan to start that route and they wanted to cut the grass under their feet. At the time, AF through Cityjet, were by far the main operator at LCY. After AF sold WX last year and effectively gave up hope to threaten BA in the London market through LCY, whilst I think that CWLCY is safe for now, I don't think it has a near-permanent future any more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.