Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’m looking at my flight back from LAS today (BA274) and wondering whether/how long the block next to my WTP seat (12A) will stay in place. Looking at EF I’m going to take a punt that this is going to be a pretty full flight:

F2 A2 J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W7 E0 T0 Y4 B3 H2 K2 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G1

From this I’m going to assume it’ll be a surprise if the block is still there by the time I board.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Silver status
flying back to LHR from Budapest at the beginning of July in CE on a reward flight
currently in seat 3C

on MMB seat selection, I can see the whole CE section with no blocked seats even in row one

there is a single seat in row one. which has been booked (presume a passenger with gold status)

when I try to move forward I can select one of the three available seats, but when I click to confirm, it just returns an error on the next page, advised me if this persists to contact help desk

in the past, due to my status, I can only usually see any of these seats in row one at T-72

if that was the case, it wouldnt bother me, id just wait till T72....but because I can see the empty seating.....

is this a glitch or something that I am missing?

is it worth calling the help desk....or will they likely send me away?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by JimEddie
From this I’m going to assume it’ll be a surprise if the block is still there by the time I board.
Very unlikley. Looks more like some people will be moved forward
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JimEddie
I would also be surprised, it's overbooked in WTP.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Silver status
flying back to LHR from Budapest at the beginning of July in CE on a reward flight
currently in seat 3C

on MMB seat selection, I can see the whole CE section with no blocked seats even in row one

there is a single seat in row one. which has been booked (presume a passenger with gold status)

when I try to move forward I can select one of the three available seats, but when I click to confirm, it just returns an error on the next page, advised me if this persists to contact help desk

in the past, due to my status, I can only usually see any of these seats in row one at T-72

if that was the case, it wouldnt bother me, id just wait till T72....but because I can see the empty seating.....

as the flight is more than 72 hours away this is not theoretical seating.

Sounds like a glitch, gold blocks should be in place till t-72 as usual
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Thanks for the clarification and apologies for posting in the incorrect thread

cheers
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fatdickie

I think it's probably a glitch.

I saw a similar issue recently, when trying to select seats for a passenger with no status travelling alone. The first row of CE appeared to be open and I was able to select a seat in that row but got an error when I clicked to confirm. When I phoned BA (as suggested) the agent I spoke to had exactly the same issue - she could select the seat but couldn't make it stick. I was finally able to select a seat in the first row at T-72, as expected.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
The blocked seat next to me has just been taken by a passenger from further back, with permission from the crew (the guy was asking why he hadn’t been able to select it when it was empty!). Whilst I realise the seat blocking for golds is an unpublished benefit and I’m probably being selfish, should crew allow this when the system’s been set up to keep the seat empty?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by volar
should crew allow this when the system’s been set up to keep the seat empty?
Yes. They have no visibility on this, and can't tell the difference between a TS blocked seat and one that's simply available anyway. Better luck next time.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes. They have no visibility on this, and can't tell the difference between a TS blocked seat and one that's simply available anyway. Better luck next time.
Thanks CWS, good to know - I appreciate it’s a game of luck. As it turned out, my new companion was very pleasant, crew gave a nice service and I’m now in warmer climes with a couple of days off work, so all good.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:16 pm

I have an upcoming flight on the A380. I am BA Gold and have a booking for me and the 3 children. I also have a separate booking for my wife in the same cabin. I have linked my booking with hers and I see that she gets Group 1 also as we do. But the question is, I see in Expertflyer that the seat next to my wife is blocked. She has an aisle seat. I t could of course be that there is a Gold member in the window seat, but does the seat block privilegies also extend to linked bookings? My wife is only blue member in BA
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:26 pm

Seat blocking apies to all status, not just Gold. Its just that as seats are required lower status loses the block before higher status.

i believe even if you purchased a seat but have no status you get a block, but as you have no status the blick is one if the first to go.

No idea what effect complete my party has.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. But are you sure about this? I thought TS only applied to Gold and Silver status members? My wife is only Blue, and I would not imagine BA blocking seats for Blue members...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:36 pm

Pretty sure, cws can correct me. the flight is really quiet blues and bronze get the seat beside them empty,

At t-72 i suspect thecsee the blicks but at t-24 they will disappear quite quickly unless the flight is very very status light
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
On the day of the flight, I watched the TS block come and go on the B seat beside my paid A seat in CE on a 767 route.
No status, just blue.

Although the block disappeared, the seat was still empty at boarding complete. Was worth the seat fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.