Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
bronze will also block, but those blocks will typically be removed before silver which will be removed before gold
And also for blue if you pay for a seat, in my experience.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
bronze will also block, but those blocks will typically be removed before silver which will be removed before gold
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
And also for blue if you pay for a seat, in my experience.
Thanks for the explanation - I hadn't realised this was the case based on the early posts in the thread.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
A bit of a strategy needed here.... . I'm travelling on 14/3 (788) and 24/3 (744) in Y, myself (Gold) and Mrs CKBA (Silver). We have a window and centre seat booked - in a vain hope that the aisle will remain free - however, so far everytime we've shuffled around within a few hours the aisle seat is then taken! I suspect we'll have to wait until the magic T-72 to nail anything down (correct?)

Last edited by CKBA; Mar 8, 2019 at 6:41 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by CKBA
A bit of a strategy needed here.... . I'm travelling on 14/3 (788) and 24/3 (744) in Y, myself (Gold) and Mrs CKBA (Silver). We have a window and centre seat booked - in a vain hope that the aisle will remain free - however, so far everytime we've shuffled around within a few hours the aisle seat is then taken! I suspect we'll have to wait until the magic T-72 to nail anything down (correct?)
Correct, TS doesn't kick in till then. In the meantime you could try sit aisle and window hoping no one opts for the middle and then when T-72 kicks in move to window and centre, hoping it blocks the aisle and no other status passenger wants it. I would put yourself in the middle too as better chance of a block for a gold than a silver.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Flew back from ARN to LHR on the 779 10/3 and had chosen exit row seats 12A and 12C (A320) on a flight that appeared up until the day as not being that busy. Online checkin allowed us to confirm this at midnight the night before. The next morning we'd been kicked back to 22E/F on the app. I'm Gold and partner Bronze. Blocked seat had been shown between us previously (and many other rows).
Turned out the Club curtain have been extended from rows 9 to 12. The irony was that noone occupied rows 11 or 12. It was quite a novelty sitting in 22F, even if I am 6'4" tall. Thank goodness it wasn't a Neo!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
I'm flying in WT+ on the B789 on 14/3. At the time of booking I chose 21 A/B without realising that this row is missing a window and is right by the lavs. There were no other window pairs available at the time and none have appeared since. All the middle seats are currently available on MMB although blocked on EF where availability is W9 E5 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0 O0 G9 so I don't think the WT+ cabin will go out full.

Should I stick with the windowless two seats or move to a three and trust that TS does it's thing?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
How does TS work on multi-sector flights like BA15/16 (LHR-SIN-SYD). Does it have a preference to keep LON-SYD passengers in the same seats? Im in CW on the 15th and I can see that TS has blocked quite a few of the centre seats next to previously assigned seats. We're both Blue and haven't paid to assign seats, I guess OLCI/counter check-in will over-ride blocks next to paid/bronze/silver/gold seats (in that order?). Does TS assign seats to passengers who haven't selected their seats, to try to optimise blocks next to the highest status passengers? Sort of like the opposite to FR which does its best to split people up.

Its not imperative that we sit together - if we were that bothered we could have paid the £78 each.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Its not imperative that we sit together - if we were that bothered we could have paid the £78 each.
No, it's the opposite to the FR system, TS should keep you together if you are on one booking, unless the cabin is really full of single passengers with status. I'm sure you are are aware of (a) the importance of OLCI at the earliest opportunity and (b) don't print / app boarding passes (etc) until you are happy with the seats, such that you can change the seats. If it's not good at T-24, within a few hours various other options should pop up.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it's not good at T-24, within a few hours various other options should pop up.
Check-In opens in a few hours, so we'll see. From the Availability BA15 doesn't look rammed full. I don't think people will be rolled forward with F1, J8, W5, Y9. I suspect we will end up in a middle, rear facing pair, which is our preference. I don't think there is a stand-out seat on the 77W in any case, the bassinet pair are probably the best.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I'm flying GRU-LHR in Y and at the moment I've got myself an aisle seat. If I understand correctly, at T-72 hours, given I'm silver, providing there is availability, the seat next to me will be blocked?

I'm not really holding out hope given:

Code:
F4 A3 J3 C2 D2 R1 I0 W2 E0 T0 Y2 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Nothing to do with availability. At T-72 if nobody has taken the seat it will be blocked. As people check in and more seats are required then blocked seats will start to be unblocked. If there are no golds on the flight the block bedlside you will be one if the last to go if it is needed.

if there are lots of golds on the flight your block will be one of the first to go if it is needed
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And to add to scottishpoet'ssreply, if the selling buckets are looking like that, there will be very few if any empty seats on that aircraft, that is indicative of an overbooked, in fact oversold flight.
c1223 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:08 pm

Well I won't take my chances and will keep an aisle seat. Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:35 pm

Could anyone help decipher this seating chart from EF? T-32hrs.

Thanks

Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Just trying to understand this better in ‘real time’

I am on BA106 31/3 and presently EF shows
BA 1060DXB
03/31/19 2:25 AMLHR
03/31/19 7:25 AM744
Daily
93% / 9mF4 Z0 J1 C0 D0 R0 I0 U0 W1 E0 T0 Y4B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 G0
If? I read this correctly, it’s looking full to potentially oversold? I am in WTP and the seat map shows blocked next to me albeit a bassinet.
I have done the online check in and followed the advice here not to get/ print boarding passes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.