Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
even s bronze you will have seats next to you blocked, just that your blocks will be freed up before blocks next to silvers are removed, so on fights that are not full, and not status heavy, you are slightly more likely to have the seat free.

nobody is guaranteed a seat blocked. On full flights even golds end up with someone next to them
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
I was duly notified of a changed seat due to an aircraft change this morning by email. I checked straightaway and noted the following oddity:

Some rows are blocked but have one or two seats occupied already (according to Expertflyer). On my MMB, I cannot select those however (BA Gold). See screenshots. Anyone with an idea of whats going on here? Is it worth to call up and ask for 10A, could the Gold Line help here?

Also, I can’t remember when I’ve last seen an A321 on the DUS route.

(The flight is more than 72hrs away so I guess that TS in FLY isn’t at work here)

Thanks
Which date is that for? I fly DUS pretty much every week and have quite a few A321 bookings coming up after years of pretty much exclusively A319s and the odd A320. Must be BA sending the smaller planes off for refurbs?

I can't see row 10 blocked on any of these bookings though - maybe it's for balancing reasons because they're expecting a very empty plane?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by xenole
I'm stuck back in 67F, an aisle seat in the middle block of WT+ on the 269 LHR-LAX flight tomorrow, after losing my slightly better seat due a cancellation.
Expert Flyer is showing 67E as an X at present, so if that is being blocked and things remain as they are, at least that's something.
Added: Well, the cabin is now showing as every seat being taken since yesterday evening. About 11 seats with an X in CW (and 4 unoccupied) so whether that means anyone but me might be getting upgraded, I've no idea. The Y cabin has availability in various fare buckets and empty space but that's probably as most people will check-in at the airport.
Can't tell if someone has been allocated the seat next to me or if someone upgraded.

EF shows:

F3 A3 J1 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H8 K6 M3 L2 V2 S2 N2 Q1 O0 G9

Last edited by xenole; Dec 8, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
A fair comment However, more seriously, is it actually unreasonable, to ask for a benefit offered to GCH's to be honoured ?
I'm not aware it is a benefit, just some 'best endeavours' type thing.

To be honest I have also been on the other side here. I rarely carry more than a small laptop bag so board as late as possible.

Normally a polite "good morning, may I move to another empty seat" will get a yes from the crew who are a) busy and b) generally don't care about TS (or other airline equivalents). At which stage feel free to bag any emergency or bulkhead seat. Job done.

The only exception has been on EasyJet.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xenole
Can't tell if someone has been allocated the seat next to me or if someone upgraded.

EF shows:

F3 A3 J1 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H8 K6 M3 L2 V2 S2 N2 Q1 O0 G9
It's overbooked in WTP and nearly full in CW. They don't need to upgrade from WT as things stand, that's still got availability. The reason this showed up when it did is that at OLCI someone without seating privileges got the spare seats at OLCI. That or someone in WT accepted a POUG at OLCI, though I doubt BA would have offered that in this case. Still, they have some space in First, I suspect 2 to 5 passengers CW will get upgraded to First, 8-13 passengers will be upgraded from WTP to CW, maybe even more,

Given the cancellation of the 787 (and the risk it is only picked up today) and any irrops today, this could change further.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
No upgrade showing yet
I'm resigned to sitting in the cabin I paid for whilst some blues or bronzes move up! .Would have preferred the 787 though.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by just_starting
Which date is that for? I fly DUS pretty much every week and have quite a few A321 bookings coming up after years of pretty much exclusively A319s and the odd A320. Must be BA sending the smaller planes off for refurbs?

I can't see row 10 blocked on any of these bookings though - maybe it's for balancing reasons because they're expecting a very empty plane?
It's Friday 21/12. I've just checked and LHR-DUS has 3x A321 and 2x A320 on this date. Quite strange because the A319 seem to be rarely at capacity. Maybe a sign for an upcoming frequency reduction with bigger planes!? The one for which I have posted the seat map seems to be a A321neo as well (although I'm still stuck in row 13).
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
It's Friday 21/12. I've just checked and LHR-DUS has 3x A321 and 2x A320 on this date. Quite strange because the A319 seem to be rarely at capacity. Maybe a sign for an upcoming frequency reduction with bigger planes!? The one for which I have posted the seat map seems to be a A321neo as well (although I'm still stuck in row 13).
Last Friday before Christmas - expecting higher traffic between UK and Germany of people going home for Christmas?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by londonbus
Last Friday before Christmas - expecting higher traffic between UK and Germany of people going home for Christmas?
That's what I thought but surely the same would apply to many (A321-) routes?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Sure - but maybe this route is higher up the list for better yields?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:20 am

Yay! Worked on my lhr-osl flight this morning ha 762
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:14 am

As a newly-minted Bronze, (first time status on BA) flying WT on the 23rd, today (T-72) TS kicked in. I had an aisle seat C on my B789 flight, A and B were empty now I see them blocked on EF and not available on MMB. Is that normal for a Bronze to have adjacent seats blocked? If I read this thread I get the impression its a benefit only for Silver and Gold...
If all things go well and nobody takes those seats, that means they will remain empty, I assume? (yay!)
Any other strategic considerations to be aware of to maximize the chances of those seats staying empty?
Many thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:43 am

I was hoping that 1A would free up on the 297 to ORD on 29/12. I was continually refreshing around T-72 and 1a/k didn't become available (I'm Blue - don't judge me) but at T-72 2 e/f became unavailable.

I dont have EF to check on 1A and whether blocked still to me or occupied.

But that I saw 2 e/f both become unavailable live in MMB at T-72 interested me. Could of course just be 2 people doing what I was doing and chose their seats and nothing to do with TS however.

​​​​​
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
My son and I are booked to fly LCA-LHR in CE in March. Mine's a paid booking and I've selected seat 1A. My son (who is an adult) has an Avios booking from my account, and, as he is BAEC Blue, cannot select a seat at this stage without paying. He has no intention of paying, as he cannot secure a seat in row 1 to sit next to me, so what's the point?

So, my question is, is there any possibility of him securing seat 1B at T-24 (if it's unoccupied), or do we just sit apart? I'm sure he won't mind.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Grace B
So, my question is, is there any possibility of him securing seat 1B at T-24 (if it's unoccupied), or do we just sit apart? I'm sure he won't mind.
If the flight is not full then he won't be able to choose 1C (I presume) since it will be blocked, but obviously on board you would be able to move. If it is a full flight then he may be able to select the seat at OLCI, so long as no-one else gets it first and in that circumstance a Silver would have access before OLCI. There may be an argument for you to move to 1C now, since on a couple rich route such as LCA 1A would be unattractive if 1C was taken, there again if the flight fills up then you may end up stuck in 1C. If you are Gold or Emerald you can call up and ask for TCP and then seat selection for the other booking, or jamend your booking to add him as a revenue passenger / cancel the RFS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.