Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
This may have been answered in the previous 27 pages, but .....

I have booked, cancelled within 24 hours and then rebooked an ET flight. On both booking occasions, although I am Gold and only a handful of seats had yet been allocated, I was put in 16F, when 16D and E were already occupied (as shown on both ba.com and Expertflyer). Why would theoretical seating put me in that seat, not once but twice when there were 100 0ther seats to choose from ?
Not sure what the rest of the seat map looks like, but from my experience, I quite often get put in the furthest forward available seat. If say row 8 is the first row of ET, and 8A & 8C are taken, then it puts me in 8B. The system runs row by row, left to right, rather than sticking you in say row 10 that could be completely empty.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by xenole
Not sure what the rest of the seat map looks like, but from my experience, I quite often get put in the furthest forward available seat. If say row 8 is the first row of ET, and 8A & 8C are taken, then it puts me in 8B. The system runs row by row, left to right, rather than sticking you in say row 10 that could be completely empty.

I think that could be what happened (can't remember precisely what the map looked like), but how on earth does that fit with the objectives of theoretical seating. It is pretty much and quite randomly giving one the worst seat available rather than the best !
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think that could be what happened (can't remember precisely what the map looked like), but how on earth does that fit with the objectives of theoretical seating. It is pretty much and quite randomly giving one the worst seat available rather than the best !
Can you clarify whether you are within 72 hours of departure? There are 2 separate systems here, and TS is the one for under 72 hours.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
This may have been answered in the previous 27 pages, but .....

... Why would theoretical seating put me in that seat, not once but twice when there were 100 0ther seats to choose from ?
Was this within about 3 days before departure, or earlier than that?

If earlier than that, then the constant advice here is that this has nothing to do with Theoretical Seating, which doesn't kick in until (IIRC) T-72h.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Was this within about 3 days before departure, or earlier than that.

If earlier than that, then the constant advice here is that this has nothing to do with Theoretical Seating, which doesn't kick in until (IIRC) T-72h.
My bad: I keep forgetting that ....
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
My bad: I keep forgetting that ....
But at least it gives me a chance to proffer my pet theory: the other system puts you into the worst available seat, because those who care will move themselves, and those who don't care will be content with having the worst available seat which leaves better seats for those who do care.

And just before someone replies to this post on the basis that I mean all of that ...
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
By some miracle, a flight I booked about 4hrs ago, and is around 3/4 full, has left me in a row all to myself. Near the front of the A320 as well.

Putting this more down to blind luck rather than any algorthims etc.

Added: got the exit row to myself on an A321 as well.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 10, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
As a OneWorld Emerald, on my last three flights on BA in CW, the seat adjacent to mine was blocked in two cases at T-72 and in the third case at T-12. Now if they only released bassinet seats earlier than T-24.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was wondering if TS still existed in reality - nothing to note for my 50+ flights this year except for a spare in WT+ on one flight (and assuming that the empty seat on AY wasn't TS). In fact, plenty of flights had empty seats, just not next to me.

(Thankfully on my last flight there were 5-6 mis-connect pax, so after a bit of musical seats after doors had closed, I ended up with an empty seat next to me).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CKBA
I was wondering if TS still existed in reality ...
Very much so as far as I have seen. Often look at the seating on EF map on the day and there is a nice cross next to me. TS has been an excellent improvement as far as I am concerned.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thorofare
As a OneWorld Emerald, on my last three flights on BA in CW, the seat adjacent to mine was blocked in two cases at T-72 and in the third case at T-12. Now if they only released bassinet seats earlier than T-24.
CW not blocked to another OWE passenger, only blocked to those of lesser status.

And even OWE can be bumped from bassinet if needed for a baby, so I tend to not go for bassinet's even if released at t-24
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I suspect a lot depends upon i) if you're travelling alone, and ii) seating layout. For example, travelling often with Mrs CKBA we occupy 2 out of a 3-seater on a 787, so either the aisle or window is then available, and tends to be nabbed before any middle seats - if travelling alone the allure of a middle seat (next to a gold/silver) is less appealing!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Very much so as far as I have seen. Often look at the seating on EF map on the day and there is a nice cross next to me. TS has been an excellent improvement as far as I am concerned.
Fully agree - I've said elsewhere, it is probably the best improvement (in my opinion) that BA have made in recent years. It makes for this BA Y exit row only shorthaul flyer very happy to have a better overall value proposition than CE (again, my opinion). I am running about 80% success rate for TS to work, but then I typically avoid the peak services since my schedule is flexible to allow this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
Am I seeing the benefits from TS or is this just pure luck? On all of my recent SH flights (GVA, FRA etc...) I've had a seat in the exit row. I usually take the window seat because I prefer it. For every sector, there hasn't been someone sitting next to me in the middle seat. (FWIW I always take the RH side of the plane). Is it just luck, or something to do with TS?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
In truth it is a bit of both. Nobody had taken the seat by T-72 when TS kicked in and the flight loads meant it could be kept blocked

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.