Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tinkicker
gah poor typing I mean 60s not 50s. Been a long 2 days!
so 61 jk are blocked

In which case, fingers crossed for that op-up!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well I asked the lovely lady at check in and she called the seating controller who says they need to stay blocked for now but to ask again on boarding. So alas so far no op-up and no bulkhead but plenty of time for martinis. Thanks for the replies.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tinkicker
Well I asked the lovely lady at check in and she called the seating controller who says they need to stay blocked for now but to ask again on boarding. So alas so far no op-up and no bulkhead but plenty of time for martinis. Thanks for the replies.
The double beep on boarding gave me some hope but the op-up didn’t materialise but on the plus side I have ended up with 60F.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Being in my last 2 months being a Gold member with very few trips on BA during past 8 months I was recently booked in ET on a LCY bound Embraer and found in the seating map that aisle seat 6C was assigned to me with 6D (window) and 5C in front apparently occupied. Not sure why BA would put me between occupied seats I changed to 6A as I also prefer a window.
I’m just curious if these were blocked seats or if these would genuinely be occupied (still are blocked by the way, will find out in a couple of days) and why 6C would have been assigned to me beforehand.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
you can check if seats are blocked or occupied on the free version of expert flyer
Great_circle likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
you can check if seats are blocked or occupied on the free version of expert flyer
Just tried it and those adjacent seats were actually occupied. Strange that, with all those empty rows, BA initially puts me between occupied seats. I know I haven’t been travelling an awfull lot lately :-) but still..
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Currently at T-15hrs. GGL sat in 10A, Gold sat in 10C, 10B has been showing as blocked, with 10D free, 10E blocked and 10F occupied. A few hours after online check-in opens, 10B becomes occupied, 10D gets blocked - so 10F gets 2 blocked seats and we lose the blocked middle seat. Struggling to see any logic in this...
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Sat on BA2773 row 10F a319 exit row. Having checked Expert Flyer looking forward to 2 blocked seats next to me.

On walk 2 pax who look like they’re either very drunk or have been taking substances and sit right next to me in D and E. I check Expertflyer and seats still blocked.

What would you do?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Sat on BA2773 row 10F a319 exit row. Having checked Expert Flyer looking forward to 2 blocked seats next to me.

On walk 2 pax who look like they’re either very drunk or have been taking substances and sit right next to me in D and E. I check Expertflyer and seats still blocked.

What would you do?
exit row seats have special requirements, if you honestly believe these people are incapacitated then you should enquire an assessment by a crew member, ideally out of their hearing.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by mmogdan

What would you do?
Rather than what would I do.... what I would have done is sat in D, knowing E was blocked and F was your seat! People are less likely to slink in if you're on the end, although it's not always sure-fire. Maybe they had seats reallocated at the gate?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have previously moaned that TS never works for me. This is a typical example BA12 on Sunday evening. Lo and behold someone is placed next to me. I cannot believe someone has paid to select a lovely Y middle seat!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:37 pm

I suppose that the flight might be oversold in Y so TS is disabled?

Is this something I should raise with BAEC as it has happened so often with flights with very light loads?

Could I have been missed off the list of GCH's that TS applies to? I understand it was an expensive piece of software so it seems a shame if it doesn't work properly.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:01 am

I thought i'd check my return flight. Hope TS sorts this one out! It wont though, it never does....
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Those seat maps look like the seat next to you is blocked as expected. I will double check on EF later
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:15 am

Thanks! I understood that I would see it as open whereas silvers and below would see it as blocked. You've given me hope though......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.