Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Originally Posted by zeitgeist
No. But OLCI is open.

I used to be able to get row one at T-72 but doesn't seem to let me anymore.
It still works well for me as Silver; close to 100% success rate - it's strictly T-72 though, not 'around-midday'
zeitgeist likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Amex Platinum
Last time I got row 1 (as silver) was in November last year. It was also the last time I tried to get seats in row 1 at T-72. On all my flights in between then and now expert flyer showed them as occupied.

I did also try calling (as that has also worked for me in the past when inside 72 hours) and the message I got from the call centre this time was those seats are "restricted" and I don't think they even tried to move me.

Anyway, that flight is done and onwards to the next. (I will likely never make Gold so can only try and get row 1 at T-72 if it is still unoccupied).
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have a last minute avios flight to Las Vegas this Wednesday on BA275. I have spent the last two years at home with my family so have dropped from GGL/CCR to silver. My outbound flight is in PE as there were no club redemptions available, for the seat choice it is only showing 2 middle seats as available. If I make a new dummy booking it will happily let me book 9 additional PE seats. So is PE really full, or are they just blocking all of the seats bar 2 middle ones?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by ANAmateur
I have a last minute avios flight to Las Vegas this Wednesday on BA275. I have spent the last two years at home with my family so have dropped from GGL/CCR to silver. My outbound flight is in PE as there were no club redemptions available, for the seat choice it is only showing 2 middle seats as available. If I make a new dummy booking it will happily let me book 9 additional PE seats. So is PE really full, or are they just blocking all of the seats bar 2 middle ones?
The cabin is pretty full and as follows

All seats are occupied and I can only see 11J, 12G, 13F and 15 F, the latter which must be the 2 middle ones you are seeing, as free for selection.

11J and 12G are only available to Golds as TS kicks in/about to kick in.

Understandably 12F and 11K are blocked as bassinets.

Here are the flight loads FYI.

F5 A4 J9 C2 D1 R0 I0 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9
H9 K9 M7 L4 V1 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G9
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks, surely W9 means the cabin isn't that full? I'm now in 11J and any ideas of being bumped up to club pushed from my mind. P.s. You may remember that I guested you into the CCR once, back when such things weren't frowned upon.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ANAmateur
Thanks, surely W9 means the cabin isn't that full?
Cabins are not hermetically sealed from each other in the booking systems. W9 tells you very little about how many reservations have been taken for the WT+ cabin (or, strictly speaking, in WT+ booking classes) nor where the airline is planning to seat everyone. In theory, WT+ could already be well overbooked even though BA is currently prepared to take another 9 reservations in any booking class in that cabin.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Globaliser
In theory, WT+ could already be well overbooked even though BA is currently prepared to take another 9 reservations in any booking class in that cabin.
Unlikely though, I might suggest.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Grace B
If Club W and F are not very full then BA will be willing to sell W+ and then upgrade people

If Club W and F start selling then the W+ availability will go down.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Grace B
Only the expert insiders will know exactly how BA runs this so far as WT+ is concerned. But I think that one can confidently say that there will be flights that are overbooked in economy by many tens - perhaps even a three-digit number - yet are still showing Y9, and plenty of flights showing J9 that are significantly overbooked in CW. The bigger question of how the physical space on the aircraft will be used, and how different the selling configuration is from the physical configuration of the aircraft that is planned to operate the flight.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Thanks for the insight guys.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Hi folks,

First time I've really looked at the TS - Appreciate views on how this is working/looking?

I am 24A and up til a couple hrs ago 24B (approx T-17hrs) was shown blocked on EF. Now I can see it as open on EF and on BA (T-15hrs) in the change / view your seat, which I assume, I think, is because of my Gold status?

Also would I be right in assuming the open space at the front is likely to fill up on this flight, given the possible loads?

BA 108 tomorrow booked WT+ the current load on EF shows
F4 A3 J6 C0 D0 R0 I0 W2 E1 T1 Y4 B0H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

The EF seat map shows :-
Old May 2, 2018, 8:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
BA 108 tomorrow booked WT+ the current load on EF shows
F4 A3 J6 C0 D0 R0 I0 W2 E1 T1 Y4 B0H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
The TS block vanishing close to departure is quite common on fuller flights, which yours look to be, in some cases you get away with it, since the last passengers may end up elsewhere. But my reading of this is (a) it is quite possible you will lose your empty seat (it's a prime one if the alternative is the middle seats) but there again DXB is a couples and family route so that makes it extra tricky (b) if you are a single traveller you're well placed to go further forward. I would guess about 4 or so WTP passengers will need to go to CW, and a similar number from there to First - this is assuming everyone turns up and DXB does get rather a lot of no-shows for some reason. If that guess is right WTP will end up full or nearly full.

In this case I would OLCI and get boarding pass at the first opportunity, there isn't a better seat in WTP. Cancel any special meal and see if the App More Flight Details does a seat change in the hours before departure.....
Old May 2, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In this case I would OLCI and get boarding pass at the first opportunity, there isn't a better seat in WTP. Cancel any special meal and see if the App More Flight Details does a seat change in the hours before departure.....
​​​​​
Thx CWS, just the advice I was looking for, informative and helpful. Will do OLCI now. Cheers T
Old May 3, 2018, 3:33 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
The age-old question is "how do I get that coveted Empty Seat next to meeee?".

For the most part, it involves choosing a seat which is adjacent to the LEAST desirable seat (so that the seat next to yours will be the LAST one chosen).

Imagine a seating chart where only two seats are available, and both are crummy. Which seat is the MOST crummy? You need to choose your seat adjacent to that Most Crummy seat.

A seat is crummy when:
- It's middle instead of aisle or window
- It's toward the back of the cabin
- It's on the right side of the airplane (requiring a crossover to board and to deplane).

So ... the best seat to ensure an empty adjecent seat is:
- Middle section
- Last Row
- On the right side

I have just one question. Why do I always end up with someone seated next to me, despite following the brilliant strategy above?
Old May 3, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
The age-old question is "how do I get that coveted Empty Seat next to meeee?".

For the most part, it involves choosing a seat which is adjacent to the LEAST desirable seat (so that the seat next to yours will be the LAST one chosen).

Imagine a seating chart where only two seats are available, and both are crummy. Which seat is the MOST crummy? You need to choose your seat adjacent to that Most Crummy seat.

A seat is crummy when:
- It's middle instead of aisle or window
- It's toward the back of the cabin
- It's on the right side of the airplane (requiring a crossover to board and to deplane).

So ... the best seat to ensure an empty adjecent seat is:
- Middle section
- Last Row
- On the right side

I have just one question. Why do I always end up with someone seated next to me, despite following the brilliant strategy above?
Probably because of the 'Last Row': quite a few people seem to go for the last row because they might assume it's quieter, people might move forward, etc. On shorthaul, some might also be Ryanair-trained and (wrongly) assume that they might be able to exit at the back! I usually opt for 2-3 rows ahead of the very last row...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.