Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Greetings gvert, welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. Below is what the seating plan on EF looks like. Looking at the G9 fare bucket, and given this is in February, this flight isn't looking full to my mind, though I may proven wrong. Now I'm not sure what sort of seat would suit you, but my feeling is that you should OLCI at the first opportunity but do not get your Boarding Pass or download it. Just check in and then after an hour so you may well see a completely different pattern including seats nearer row 47. Good luck, have a good flight and I hope you will tell us how it went for you.
Just wanted to let you guys know how it went.
So at OLCI there didn't came up much more options. Only at the airport and at transfer desk at Heathrow there have been a very few other options left. The Eco only had 5 empty seats in the end.

Just a quick question, how are the EF seat map and the fare buckets looking for Saturday's (24th) BA282 LAX-LHR?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Hi All,

I would like to share my experiences and also ask a quick question to the experts here:

Having been a Silver card holder for the past 8 months, I seem to have been very lucky with free adjacent seats. Even on busy routes, my success rate was probably 80% or higher in ET and WTP. Travelling in ET with my partner (Bronze) and selecting A+C or D+F has resulted in a free middle seat in 100% of the cases, which was brilliant!

Also, in CE, with the duly reminders at T-72, my row 1 success rate was very close to 100%.

Having very recently achieved Gold, my first action point was to move myself into row 1 for all my upcoming CE trips, which worked fine.

For my upcoming ET trips, I noticed no change to the seat maps on MMB. The first 2 to 4 rows of the ET cabin are not available to me (and appear "blocked" on the EF seat maps). Is this a case of having to wait for T-72? (I had hoped that the necessity for those reminders were a thing of the past after reaching Gold?).

In the meantime I'm looking forward to my first First Wing experience at LHR this week!

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
For my upcoming ET trips, I noticed no change to the seat maps on MMB. The first 2 to 4 rows of the ET cabin are not available to me (and appear "blocked" on the EF seat maps).
This is a long-standing feature of ET seating. It's designed to act as a buffer in case the dividing line between CE and ET has to be moved. If there's nobody sitting in the first few rows of ET, this means that there's less chance that people in ET will have to be moved if the divider is moved aft.
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Congrats on making Gold, the First Wing and dedicated security is very good, especially when Heathrow is having a busy day.

Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
For my upcoming ET trips, I noticed no change to the seat maps on MMB. The first 2 to 4 rows of the ET cabin are not available to me (and appear "blocked" on the EF seat maps). Is this a case of having to wait for T-72? (I had hoped that the necessity for those reminders were a thing of the past after reaching Gold?).
I suspect this is happening to allow the CE cabin to expand and the curtain to move back without displacing more folks, and those seats would normally open up nearer the time (e.g. at T-72) when BA are more certain of the required CE cabin size for that rotation.

I don't think that's anything particularly new, I recall seeing this on flights back when I was Gold - a common one I recall was the front cabin of the 767 would initially be unavailable when booking some weeks out, then the curtain would slowly creep forward, and the seats become unblocked.
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Thanks - those explanations make a lot of sense! I'll keep checking in that case

Decent exit row seats are available but, especially on the very short European flights, I value a seat further up front with the ability to keep a small bag with me in the seat area more than the little extra leg room.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Expert flyer isn't showing blocked seats on an upcoming flight (we're in 24J/K - but no blocking in 24H). Last week on the same flight it worked perfectly...

Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by CKBA
Expert flyer isn't showing blocked seats on an upcoming flight (we're in 24J/K - but no blocking in 24H).
How far away from the flight are you? Have you reached the T-72h point yet?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:24 pm

At T72 blocked seats are opened up, silly question is it from midnight or the time of your flight that T72 kicks in. Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by bubbah
At T72 blocked seats are opened up, silly question is it from midnight or the time of your flight that T72 kicks in. Thanks
Just to clarify, there are a couple of separate issues here:

At T-72 theoretical seating kicks in and starts blocking off seats for certain customers.

At T-72 seats which are blocked for other reasons (e.g. Row 1 to Gold only) become available to other passengers.

You seem to be asking about the second case, but in both cases, it is the time of the flight that matters. So 72 hours from scheduled departure. (And once I realised this, I would set a reminder on my phone and had a near 100% hit rate snagging row 1 as a Silver)
FeedbirdNiner and EDDLEGLL like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
How far away from the flight are you? Have you reached the T-72h point yet?
Yeap... seemed to be a temporary glitch...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Just to clarify, there are a couple of separate issues here:

At T-72 theoretical seating kicks in and starts blocking off seats for certain customers.

At T-72 seats which are blocked for other reasons (e.g. Row 1 to Gold only) become available to other passengers.

You seem to be asking about the second case, but in both cases, it is the time of the flight that matters. So 72 hours from scheduled departure. (And once I realised this, I would set a reminder on my phone and had a near 100% hit rate snagging row 1 as a Silver)
Thank you yes will set an alarm for the morning, will live in hope!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:14 am

The blocked seats opened up half an hour before the T72 but had never seen the configuration before, our flight is LGW to Dubrovnik A320 and in club 1A/C are stuck out on there own! would 2E/F be better. thanks
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by bubbah
The blocked seats opened up half an hour before the T72 but had never seen the configuration before, our flight is LGW to Dubrovnik A320 and in club 1A/C are stuck out on there own! would 2E/F be better. thanks
Yes, 2D/F are better, 1A/C face crew as there is no cupboard or bulkhead
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:25 am

Is there good leg room in 2e/f
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:33 am

Sorry I meant 2 D/F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.