Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
Close (and impressive!) - but it's actually LHR to HKG on Saturday. Could you please check the loads for that one as well?
Thanks!
HKG-LHR was a random guess. But LHR-HKG is F6 A5 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y8 B5 H2 K2 M2 L2 V2 S1 N1 Q1 O0 G0
and my hunch WTP is overbooked, probably oversold. WT seems to be full, but not overbooked yet given that some people are being moved into WTP, but that route does get quite a bit of late purchases, so that also needs to be added to the mix. CW is about OK but I guess a few will end up in First. It would probably be worth another look at this on Friday morning.
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
For my sins I sometimes have the misfortune to fly BA Y SIN-LHR . My preferred fight is BA11/BA12 and my preferred seat is 25D but I find it annoying that even as a GCH and if the flight is lightly loaded there is always a solo traveller in 25E. I seem to have been excluded from TS. Only once seem to have had TS work for me and that was in CE LHR-SOF.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats
For my sins I sometimes have the misfortune to fly BA Y SIN-LHR . My preferred fight is BA11/BA12 and my preferred seat is 25D but I find it annoying that even as a GCH and if the flight is lightly loaded there is always a solo traveller in 25E. I seem to have been excluded from TS. Only once seem to have had TS work for me and that was in CE LHR-SOF.
Is it occupied by someone who already selected the seat before Theoretical Seating kicked in at t-72?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:13 am

No, always unoccupied when I check in. Maybe they know I only fly redemptions on BA and do all my flying on QR/MH/QF etc except for 2 returns to BRU!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Just checked in for GLA-LHR later today. Me as Gold in exit seat window and Mrs Nivsy as Silver in exit seat aisle. Noticed that while flight is showing as pretty busy on the BA seat map there are 3 rows of 3 free it yet taken up. Someone has popped themselves between us in that emergency seat so I guess blocking does not work in that scenario. Cant confess to bring up to speed on seat blocking but in all of my time as Gold can't say ever had that privilege. I guess I just fly full flights! Up to yesterday the seat was free between us.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:19 am

As I understand it, anyone, even without status, can pay for an exit row seat so blocked seats are less common on exit rows. I might be wrong though...
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nivsy
Someone has popped themselves between us in that emergency seat so I guess blocking does not work in that scenario..
No, as mentioned upthread, booking window and aisle is counterproductive, you best book (e.g.) window and middle, with the higher status passenger in middle. However exit route seats are particularly sought by some passengers that the chance of a block working there isn't high, with the possible exception of the rear exit row area on A321s. If the flight is fairly full your best bet on getting an empty seat as a couple is to get two seats together but towards the back.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
All very interesting..thanks. Ironically got the bleep at Gate 19 at GLA and I was upgraded to CE. Mrs Nivsy still in Row 10. Unashamed I took the upgrade leaving Mrs Nivsy with the leg room..😋 as I settled into row 3 but crew were lovely and ensured Mrs Nivsy also got some champagne..😁
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:07 am

So I just had two flights where I was in an exit row (window out, aisle in). On both of these flights no-one was seated in the middle seat, but the rest of the airplane looked fairly full. Is this theoretical seating at work, or is it just that they tend not to use all three seats in the exit rows?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RG1X
So I just had two flights where I was in an exit row (window out, aisle in). On both of these flights no-one was seated in the middle seat, but the rest of the airplane looked fairly full. Is this theoretical seating at work, or is it just that they tend not to use all three seats in the exit rows?
Possibly to both questions. It depends on your status.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’m booked on the BA32 hkg Lhr, A380 in a few hours in WTP, hand bags only and BA gold.

Checked in last night without really thinking where I was sitting and I’m half way down the cabin in an aisle seat and as I recall there wasn’t much choice. just looked on expert flyer and 50j/k are blocked (bulkhead) and I’d rather have 50K with the window... Is is it worth hanging on the 40 mins or so for the check in desk to open and ask to be moved there or should I just go and drink espresso martinis and forget it.

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tinkicker
Checked in last night without really thinking where I was sitting and I’m half way down the cabin in an aisle seat and as I recall there wasn’t much choice. just looked on expert flyer and 50j/k are blocked (bulkhead) and I’d rather have 50K with the window... Is is it worth hanging on the 40 mins or so for the check in desk to open and ask to be moved there or should I just go and drink espresso martinis and forget it.
Personally I would ask to move, though it's a reason (if landside) to not print your boarding pass until the last moment. It may be, however, that the agent cannot get you into these seats since they are earmarked for some couple in WT to get an upgrade, which is one reason - of many - why they are blocked now. WTP ex HKG normally goes out full.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:47 am

Yes I think I may as well hang on landside for a bit and ask when the desk opens. Of course with fingers crossed for an opup :-)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tinkicker
Of course with fingers crossed for an opup :-)
50JK are in CW. Are you sure you haven't already been op-upped? I'm not quite sure why you were being shown 50JK, even though I know you could see that they're blocked.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
50JK are in CW. Are you sure you haven't already been op-upped? I'm not quite sure why you were being shown 50JK, even though I know you could see that they're blocked.
gah poor typing I mean 60s not 50s. Been a long 2 days!
so 61 jk are blocked

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.