Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've replied in that thread now, I suspect the Sapphire card number didn't make it over to the BA PNR, given it was an AA booking. Should be easily resolved. But yes, this thread is essentially about the final 72 hours, the existing allocation of seats on the UD to fee payers, corporates, Sapphire and above (before that time) isn't affected, as far as I can tell.
I reposted the member's question here in case it was a known bug of the FLY seating system.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: BA, SQ
I "think" as a lowly bronze but Mrs active silver a seat on our next two CWs (Sep and Nov) appears to have been blocked out. We're sitting 10A/B on 777s and 11B is blocked out on all segments. All flights appear empty as of now apart from our seats, 11B and the cot positions, so this leads me to think it's FLY doing it's thing otherwise why would somebody co-incidently on all four sectors in an empty cabin elect to chose a seat where they'll be guaranteed to have somebody stepping over them?
Maybe I've got a mystery stalker
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
It has occurred to me that another benefit of spreading people.throughout the plane is that trim issues should take care of themselves. With some.people.forced to the back of the plane the days of a gold who is booked in the first few rows being shifted to the rear have hopefully gone. If so this is actually a good enhancement by BA!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
I "think" as a lowly bronze but Mrs active silver a seat on our next two CWs (Sep and Nov) appears to have been blocked out. We're sitting 10A/B on 777s and 11B is blocked out on all segments. All flights appear empty as of now apart from our seats, 11B and the cot positions, so this leads me to think it's FLY doing it's thing otherwise why would somebody co-incidently on all four sectors in an empty cabin elect to chose a seat where they'll be guaranteed to have somebody stepping over them?
Maybe I've got a mystery stalker
Fly has nothing to do with that as it comes into play 72 hours before departure. What are you flights and dates - it is possible to check whether the seat is blocked or whether there is someone in it.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M SEN, EK Gold
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
It has occurred to me that another benefit of spreading people.throughout the plane is that trim issues should take care of themselves. With some.people.forced to the back of the plane the days of a gold who is booked in the first few rows being shifted to the rear have hopefully gone. If so this is actually a good enhancement by BA!
Didn't help on last nights LCY to IOM. 2 of us, not travelling together, were moved from 1D and 1F to row 17 for trim purposes, and both of us were gold. Happened after we were seated too - the TRM was surprised it hadn't happened at the gate.

Cheers

Manx Flyer
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Manx Flyer
Didn't help on last nights LCY to IOM. 2 of us, not travelling together, were moved from 1D and 1F to row 17 for trim purposes, and both of us were gold. Happened after we were seated too - the TRM was surprised it hadn't happened at the gate.

Cheers

Manx Flyer
Sorry to hear that you were shifted in this way. Bang goes my theory that this change might have led to something even more positive than it seemed.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Thought I was getting a benefit out of this on Monday night AMS-LHR...

10C on an A319, empty seat next to me, silver (with bag tags) at the window.

Scheduled time for boarding passes, still have the empty seat. 10 minutes later .... two late boarders walk on and continue past me. Still have an empty seat next to me.

About to push back from the gate... "Oi, scuse me mate, that's my seat" (begins pushing past me). Person comes from the back of the plane somewhere to occupy 10B. His boarding pass did have 10B on it, so he was in the right - I just have no idea where he came from, and with theoretical seating I was really getting my hopes up.

Serves me right for being inwardly DYKWIA.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Skywards
Domestics & LH travel class

Thanks c-w-s for this excellent info.

Do you know if travel class has an impact on seat availability for connecting domestics?

E.g. as a lowly Bronze connecting to First, might I be to be able to access front-of-cabin seats on my MAN-LHR flight at T-7 days or T-72 hrs?

Currently in 6A, and the app wants to charge me for exit row seats.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tyddynonn
E.g. as a lowly Bronze connecting to First, might I be to be able to access front-of-cabin seats on my MAN-LHR flight at T-7 days or T-72 hrs?
I suspect it gives you the usual Bronze domestic seating options (ie no row 1 access unless there is no option due to heavy non status sales). Speculation on my part, however.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:19 am

This may be a frivolous question, but does anyone have any idea if a blocked seat between two golds is likely to last longer than a blocked seat next to one gold and a non-gold?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
This makes a significant difference on long-haul flights in Y.

Pretty sure this accounts for an empty 30J (exit row) on my 787-9 back from SJC-LHR the other night - it was blocked when I looked on Expertflyer before the flight, which was otherwise pretty full. Plenty of elbow-room, decent sleep in 30K.

This makes me more inclined to switch back to BA Y, rather than look for AA flights where I can use MCE
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy

Even on weekends where the check in staff have advised that there were only a handful of economy seats free, seat 80B on the A380 to HKG or SIN has remained empty – and presumably blocked given that, in my view, it’s in the best row of economy seats on the BA fleet. It even seems that these new arrangements have made their way down to the crew; last week an interloper sat down next to me and was quickly moved on by a member of the cabin crew with the embarrassing remark that the seat was “not available because this passenger is an important customer of the airline”.

Quite frankly, I’d happily sacrifice 10 tuck boxes, 20 packets of pretzels, and 30 pieces of cheddar to get the consistently unlimited elbow room I’ve enjoyed over the last few weeks. That's not something you can pick up in Boots on the way to the gate.
Totally agree with you crazyanglaisy. I got this in row 70 a few weeks back too. OT but not sat in row 80 yet only done 70. Any reason why you prefer? Got a few HKG'S coming up and might try 80 out. Thanks
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Strategy question. I'm flying LHR to GCM (Grand Cayman) in Nov with Mrs Ned1968. I'm GGL/CCR and she's Gold. We are flying.....economy (the horror!). ba.com is currently returning an error so I can't post the seat map, but it's a 772 with 2 seats (instead of three) in the first row of economy - row 15 (bulkhead). One of this pair is currently blocked (bassinet?). There are three free seats behind in Row 16 (the aisle seat has no seat in front so great legroom) so I could book 16A and 16C (great legroom) and hope that Fly keeps 16B free in between two golds?

Do I take 15A now and hope that I can grab 15B at T-72?

Or select 16A and 16C and hope Fly is kind?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Do you have ExpertFlyer?

I might be inclined to go for row 16. If Fly isn't kind, you can be kind to the poor soul who was expecting a middle seat and might now get a window.

If the flight fills up, you can always keep an eye out in ExpertFlyer and switch before seats start getting too popular - into the middle if necessary - or to another safe option.

If the flight is really full, you're likely to be upgraded.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
good example of (followed through) theoretical seating yesterday. partner and I (GGL/CCR and GCH soon to be GGL/CCR) travelling F. We were in 1A and K on the 777. Total of 12/14 in F but 1E and F were blocked. Someone trying to move there was refused, told seat had to remain empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.