Great BA customer service.

Old Aug 27, 16, 7:39 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
Service like this really does buy a ot of customer goodwill and its great to see
Agreed and it's worked out really well on an individual basis for the OP.

However, the same favour certainly wouldn't have been extended to the great majority of other travellers in similar circumstances, who would certainly find themselves classed as no-shows with their ticket cancelled and needing to buy a new one at walk-up prices in order to reach their destination.
Old Aug 27, 16, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
For example:

Originally Posted by MickV View Post
The ticket agent at the BA desk made two Chinese girls behind me buy new tickets to Shanghai.
Originally Posted by V10 View Post
However, the same favour certainly wouldn't have been extended to the great majority of other travellers in similar circumstances, who would certainly find themselves classed as no-shows with their ticket cancelled and needing to buy a new one at walk-up prices in order to reach their destination.
Old Aug 27, 16, 12:26 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Nice to hear MickV. I hope you changed into a clean shirt after all that sweating!

Well done that agent.
Old Aug 27, 16, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA*G, A3*G
Had a similar incident outside my control - I was on the 12.20 LHR-ZRH, and there was a problem on the Tube that meant I ended up in an Uber from Ealing Common station at 11am. With traffic everywhere, it looked impossible to hit T5 by the published 1 hour before departure to drop my bag, and I even wondered about making the 35 minute cut off to make the flight.

I called BA Gold line and they assured me it would be fine at 45 mins for the bag, and they would be expecting me at F check-in. Thanks in part to some insane freewheeling from my Uber cabbie, who earned his 30% tip, I arrived sprinting across T5 at 11.33am - 2 minutes to spare and quite flustered - and indeed was greeted cheerily with bag tag and boarding card by the charming Phil at the F front desk (not even as far as check-in).

He said "I'll drop these off for you so you can grab a quick glass of something in the lounge". When BA get it right and do just the little things to help, it's a pleasure to fly with them.
Old Aug 27, 16, 1:26 pm

Pity about the two Chinese girls having to pay for their flights again. Hope you helped them.
Old Aug 30, 16, 9:22 am

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
For context, in the past I've always found BA staff really hospitable, very accommodating both in the air and on the ground. Sadly, I had the complete opposite experience a few weeks back. I was heading to Dublin to see the family for a day before heading to the US on in club. Not a fare dodging run, but simply a lot of travel taking place at the moment and trying to grasp time together as a family. Last 50 J-class flights have been point-to-point prior so no history of trying to do points runs etc.

I had 7 BA flights that week between myself and my wife and misread the flight time. Turned up 50 minutes late. I had made a mistake and at no point tried to present it as anything but that.

The ticket desk basically, were pretty abrupt and gave me two options; stay in London and pay an extra £4k to fly from London to Boston the next day or pay £520 to pay for a (50 minute) flight to Dublin on the last flight of the day which took off in an hour. Basically forced to opt for the latter. Empty seats throughout the plane. To rub salt into the wound my bag never made it onboard and I had to wait until 11am on the Saturday for it to arrive!

It left a real bitter taste in the mouth as there was obviously minimal incremental cost to BA to put me on the flight. You wouldn't mind paying a token admin fee, but £520 seemed overzealous given the amount of flights I take with BA.

In the last year I've had:

- BA cancel 7.40am flight at 10pm the night before and reallocate.
- 4x lost baggage (sometimes on 1 day trips).
- Fight to JNB cancelled and delayed a day due to safety (understandable, and actively given standard EU compensation).
- Don't know how many delays.

We all know that mistakes do happen and yet, when BA make them I'm asked to "understand" and they're "very sorry" and yet on this occasion I feel that I got gauged when it was my mistake.

I need to book 12 long-haul business flights for 4Q, and I'm thinking of just getting one of the other carriers to status match me if I don't already have status and then book with them. Really underwhelmed with the customer service on this one, when there were alternative options that as other's have mentioned here really reinforced the relationship.

Disappointing all round.