upgrading wt+

Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:51 am
Original Poster

upgrading wt+

looking to book LHR-LAX. Cash fare is around 800, but using upgrade with avios it pushes it up to 1400 + 60k avois per person. called BA and they advised that the published wt+ fare is a mistake and that I should book it straight away. It has been around this price for many weeks now Any idea what is going on?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by mkdoc
looking to book LHR-LAX. Cash fare is around 800, but using upgrade with avios it pushes it up to 1400 + 60k avois per person. called BA and they advised that the published wt+ fare is a mistake and that I should book it straight away. It has been around this price for many weeks now Any idea what is going on?
Do you mean the cash J fare is 800 versus 1400 for a W fare, plus 60k Avios to upgrade to J?
If so follow the advice of the BA agent!!!! And after you have booked, please share details of the fare on this forum
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Do you mean the cash J fare is 800 versus 1400 for a W fare, plus 60k Avios to upgrade to J?
If so follow the advice of the BA agent!!!! And after you have booked, please share details of the fare on this forum
WT+ fare - 800
WT+ with avios upgrade both sectors - 1400 + 60k avios per person
Surely taxes and fees are not 600!!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I assume the cash fare referred to is for the WTP return.

In which case your WTP->CW + UuA cost would be your cash W price (800), plus the extra carrier surcharge (~80 each way for this route), plus the avios.

If BA.com is giving an incorrect figure when you price up the WTP+UuA your options are either book the WTP online and call to UuA, or call and do it all with the agent.

The agent you spoke to was talking out of their behind btw.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mkdoc
Surely taxes and fees are not 600!!
No, something else is going on here. My strong suspicion is that it's something to do with the subject of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...le-ba-com.html
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:17 am

Ah yes. So for those special WTP fares the "cash" UuA cost is more since you are now paying the carrier surcharge difference from WT to CW rather than WTP to CW. This should not run to 600 though. For LHR-LAX-LHR I would imagine the carrier surcharge payable would be 200 at most covering outbound and inbound. For reference I UuA'ed one of these a month ago and for LHR-BOS the cash cost was ~150 for out and back.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is what I think is happening.

The price that ba.com is giving for a UuA is based on a standard WT+ fare of about 1,300.

For example, outbound on Tue 8 Nov + inbound Tue 15 Nov is priced at 870.00 base fare plus 444.15 TFC = 1,314.15.

However, if you UuA to CW, you have to pay the CW level of TFC. On the same dates, those are 524.15, ie 80.00 more.

So if you base a UuA on that WT+ fare, you pay 870.00 base fare + 524.15 TFC (for CW) + 60,000 Avios (which sounds right but I haven't checked). In other words, it's 1,394.15 + 60,000 Avios, which is tolerably close to the number that you gave.

However, that thread shows that there are WT+ fares for sale on ba.com which are priced differently.

For the same dates, the lowest base fare that I can see is 486.00. Adding 444.15 TFC to that gives 930.15. And that is the fare that ba.com will quote me for those dates.

Thus the agent isn't altogether correct. The WT+ fare you can see on ba.com is not a mistake. However, what I am not sure about is whether it can be UuAd. What I think I would do, in your shoes, is to book the WT+ fare on ba.com. Then phone up straight away to try to UuA it. If you can, then do so - it should only cost 80.00 plus the Avios. If you are told that it can't be UuAd, then cancel it under the 24 hour cooling off period. (Remember, you must do the cooling-off cancel by phone, not on ba.com.)
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
So for those special WTP fares the "cash" UuA cost is more since you are now paying the carrier surcharge difference from WT to CW rather than WTP to CW.
No, I don't think so. The final cost on ba.com (the 930.15 in my example) already includes TFC at WT+ levels, so the additional cost to UuA to CW should be the same as doing so from a non-DIF WT+ fare.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
No, I don't think so. The final cost on ba.com (the 930.15 in my example) already includes TFC at WT+ levels, so the additional cost to UuA to CW should be the same as doing so from a non-DIF WT+ fare.
Yes, was just having a look on ba.com and what I wrote doesn't seem to be the case here. I am sure it made sense in my own experience in that it was one of these WTP special fares, did seem the fare included YQ at the WT level, and the UuA cost was CW(YQ)-WT(YQ). I have since binned my notes so can't re-check.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:33 am

I'm seeing the same thing. I've been looking at taking a round trip SEA-LHR in February, and when I pick the "book and upgrade" method (to book WT+ and upgrade to CW) I get quoted a fare approximately double what I get when simply booking WT+. The upgrade availability is there, but I'm worried: if I book the WT+ and then rely on calling the upgrade in, will I find out they've changed the rules? In other words, it seems to me that one possible explanation for the pricing is that they've now decided that all fare classes in WT+ should not be upgradeable.

I know that for basic Economy there are a few fare classes that aren't upgradeable. It used to be, however, that all WT+ fare classes were upgradeable with miles. Is that still the case? Am I taking a risk if I book WT+ of getting stuck actually flying it?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by KurtBJC
I'm seeing the same thing. I've been looking at taking a round trip SEA-LHR in February, and when I pick the "book and upgrade" method (to book WT+ and upgrade to CW) I get quoted a fare approximately double what I get when simply booking WT+. The upgrade availability is there, but I'm worried: if I book the WT+ and then rely on calling the upgrade in, will I find out they've changed the rules? In other words, it seems to me that one possible explanation for the pricing is that they've now decided that all fare classes in WT+ should not be upgradeable.

I know that for basic Economy there are a few fare classes that aren't upgradeable. It used to be, however, that all WT+ fare classes were upgradeable with miles. Is that still the case? Am I taking a risk if I book WT+ of getting stuck actually flying it?
All fare classes are still upgradable (W, E, and T). What is causing the problem is that these WTP fares are not like the old ones, and instead are special promotion fares which (I think) are a fixed price above the WT fare.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KurtBJC
The upgrade availability is there, but I'm worried: if I book the WT+ and then rely on calling the upgrade in, will I find out they've changed the rules? ...

... Am I taking a risk if I book WT+ of getting stuck actually flying it?
Unfortunately, the OP hasn't returned to say whether or not it worked - nor whether it is OK to book the special fare online, phone to try to UuA, and then use the cooling-off period to cancel if it turns out that it can't be UuAd.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Unfortunately, the OP hasn't returned to say whether or not it worked - nor whether it is OK to book the special fare online, phone to try to UuA, and then use the cooling-off period to cancel if it turns out that it can't be UuAd.
Am still waiting for my avios transfer from SPG- will update when am able to attempt to upgrade. WT+ fare has gone up to 905 now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.