Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Disgusting harassment behaviour by seatmate in WTP to SEA. What can be done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgusting harassment behaviour by seatmate in WTP to SEA. What can be done?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I didn't think about it before either. But now that this blog post has got me thinking, I would've told my spouse to "film my space" before confronting the guy. And to make it very obvious to the guy behind she's doing it.

We've our equivalents of Daily Telegraph and The Sun who're very happy to take such videos - see "Gate Auntie" for instance.

I don't think any critique of Everywhereist is necessary. She didn't provoke or hit back.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Bronze
The BA crew handled it well enough. I had a very similar incident happen to me on AA. I was told in no uncertain terms by their crew that I was not to recline my seat at all - despite the lady in front being fully reclined (including during the meal service).
Sad to say it was a man too. I had to tell my husband not to intervene - it wouldn't have ended well and we would have definitely been in the wrong.
The end result was a very uncomfortable few days post flight with me ending up in hospital.
The AA crew were completely intimidated by the man and really couldn't have cared less about my discomfort.
I haven't flown them internationally since then, but I am giving them another go next week, time will tell if that is a good decision.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Absolutely unacceptable behaviour that is inexcusable.

However, I cannot help but think that the "Weak woman bullied by Alpha Male" angle only confuses the issue and that somehow, the blogger is turning the story into another issue that has nothing to do with aircraft. I know plenty of women who would have knocked the aggressive passenger into next week, and plenty of men who would have shied away from confrontation rather than meet it. I agree that nobody should have to feel like that, especially on an aircraft, but do not think the sex of the blogger has anything relevant to the story.

This story is about reclining a seat into a space which the person behind understands to be "theirs". Whilever airlines put reclining seats on their aircraft, this problem will always be there in some form. From people who mutter under their breath, to those like this idiot who feel it is within their rights to prevent it, there will be issues for the crew to deal with. Remove the ability to recline, end of issues. And BA save weight which is better for the fuel burn, hence environment, which is important for them according to their latest enhancements.

In this situation, I am surprised that the Captain was not made aware and that if they were, that they did not come to assess the situation. Maybe one of the crew on FT can advise, but is it possible that arrangements had been made for the idiot to be met at Seattle and detained for a while? In other words, is it possible that action is being taken and the blogger is not aware? Privacy act and all that may come into play?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I wish the man had been banned from BA - regardless of the writer's interpretation or presentation of the situation, it seems to me that the man behaved very badly, and he'd do it again to someone.

I don't really get the sexism angle to this - a nasty idiot would be a nasty idiot to everyone and it sounds like he's one of those.

He'd better not do that to me, or I'd be making sure that the police would be called.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by pacenotes
Her super hero jumping in to save the day. If I did that to my wife she would feel belittled and like she doesnt need a man to save her.
I think that's very particular take on it. The poster speaks of what amounts to physical abuse. I have intervened when this has happened to my partner just in the same way as she has intervened when I was on the receiving end of what she equally saw as intolerable behaviour. It has nothing to do with man and woman or superheroes and saviours, it has to do with the fact that if you see your partner suffering the level of abuse that she interpreted this as being you just intervene because despite what others say, calm intervention by a third person often calms situations down between two people when it is uncontrollably escalating.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
...Remove the ability to recline, end of issues...
Either that, or publish a clear set of rules for the use of the recline, both for the recliner and the reclinee.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:20 am

Remove the ability to recline, end of issues.
CX tried it, and promptly divided their customer base http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post23443000

We in the CX forum decided having recline was worth the space downside at least for long haul. Less downside for us cos I think our average height is shorter than FTers over at this forum.

The behaviour of this guy tho is to impose a Knee Defender by bullying Everywhereist and Rand. Don't think he deserves much sympathy for using such aggressive means.

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 23, 2016 at 7:20 pm
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I didn't think about it before either. But now that this blog post has got me thinking, I would've told my spouse to "film my space" before confronting the guy. And to make it very obvious to the guy behind she's doing it.
Sadly in the heat of the moment, when it is happening, we don't always have the choice to rationalise and determine such a course of action.

This story is about reclining a seat into a space which the person behind understands to be "theirs". Whilever airlines put reclining seats on their aircraft, this problem will always be there in some form. From people who mutter under their breath, to those like this idiot who feel it is within their rights to prevent it, there will be issues for the crew to deal with. Remove the ability to recline, end of issues.
That will never happen on long haul flights. A massive over-reaction which will needlessly impact the 99.9% of journeys (or whatever) when there is no issue. I can honestly say in 26 years of regular travel if I have not witnessed such an episode.

Doesn't the safety briefing say "the crew are here primarily for your comfort and safety"? In which case let them do their job, and deal with the miscreants. Endangering in flight safety gets you a criminal record and would rapidly curtail future US trips.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
CX tried it, and promptly divided their customer base http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post23443000

We in the CX forum decided having recline was worth the space downside at least for long haul.
Absolutely. Thinking of the recline as the problem is to turn things upside down IMHO.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Sadly in the heat of the moment, when it is happening, we don't always have the choice to rationalise and determine such a course of action.
Sometimes I find Flyertalk is contingency training for passengers akin to simulator training is contingency training for pilots.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
I read it and found her language a little hyperbolic to put it mildly, although I don't doubt it was an extremely unpleasant experience.

The man in question, and the way he acted - I did wonder if it was possible that there may have been some kind of mental health issue that was kicking in? Not in any way trying to excuse him, but the language used (if true) did seem a bit bizarre, and I just wonder if he wasn't completely in control of himself?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: BA silver.
Sometimes I find Flyertalk is contingency training for passengers akin to simulator training is contingency training for pilots.
Oh yes. I now have at least three snappy retorts ready to go if any "honeymooning couples" try to poach my window seat.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by jimlad48
I read it and found her language a little hyperbolic to put it mildly, although I don't doubt it was an extremely unpleasant experience.

The man in question, and the way he acted - I did wonder if it was possible that there may have been some kind of mental health issue that was kicking in? Not in any way trying to excuse him, but the language used (if true) did seem a bit bizarre, and I just wonder if he wasn't completely in control of himself?
Yes, it did have that feel about it. Mind you, air travel can bring out extremes in people.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: BA GCH
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I wish the man had been banned from BA - regardless of the writer's interpretation or presentation of the situation, it seems to me that the man behaved very badly, and he'd do it again to someone.
The offending pax may yet be so.

We don't know if any sanction was applied to said individual and we may never know. As bad as his actions were, BA should and probably will handle this privately.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Yes, it did have that feel about it. Mind you, air travel can bring out extremes in people.
+1 ^

From the description he doesn't come across as someone in full control. It doesn't excuse his behaviour but may explain it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.