Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Barriers coming to BA lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cymro
How will that work with guesting? Or will that be enhanced?
Lounge guesting is part of oneworld benefits* so I couldn't see that being enhanced.

Link

*There are a couple of Qatar lounges that do not allow guests.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I can't remember seeing people complain about the automatic barriers at the TK lounge at IST etc though.

True but I normally find staff waiting to scan your BP. I would miss the nice chat with the staff though.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
You typically only get a grunt at LHR lounge receptions, so a machine-generated grunt would be just as welcoming.
This. Always thought automatic gates would be a great idea. Now if only they would invest the "cost savings" into their Product....
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Lounge guesting is part of oneworld benefits* so I couldn't see that being enhanced.

Link
So was through-checking of luggage across separate bookings. Clearly oneworld benefits aren't set in stone.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Have you tried any of the larger Senator lounges?

No afraid not, the only times I have flown Star is with TK and not to Germany (though having said that am off to MUC on Friday so may get the chance). Come to think of it I don't think I have ever flown Lufthansa.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
Hard to see it as a negative. Even if the gate cannot acommodate every permutation. If 95% of visitors can make it through, that allows staff to focus on those who need assistance (or who are fraud artists with a story).

Automated gates work well elsewhere in the world of commercial aviation, including at gates, but there always needs to be a staff person present for the exception cases.
Indeed and there have been complaints on here in the past about people having to wait because the receptionists were dealing with other passengers so this offers a quicker way in for a lot of people.

Even if it allowed 50% to be diverted from the desks that would be something to speed entry up.

Why is it that people use gate almost daily - at stations for example or at their place of work - yet are suddenly incapable of using one in an airport.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Worcester
No afraid not, the only times I have flown Star is with TK and not to Germany (though having said that am off to MUC on Friday so may get the chance). Come to think of it I don't think I have ever flown Lufthansa.
Well the way it works at these lounges - which in my view are almost as good as Flounge, with one in FRA on a par - is that there is either a scan yourself point and someone watching for any red bleeps, or a barrier that retreats on scanning the boarding pass. Again there's someone nearby to help if necessary.

There are only a few lounges where this would make sense, in that it would allow staff numbers to be reduced by 1. So in T5 it would be Flounge and the 3 Galleries Club (though B would be borderline), T3 Galleries Club, and LGW South. T3 Flounge is one person anyway. Perhaps T7 Galleries Club too. And that's about it.

For Flounge, it would improve the experience since 80% of passengers would be happy to Flash And Go, rather than standing behind the person (actually, always a male) arguing about the merits of their extended collection of cost centres being allowed access.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by David_Doyle

Link

*There are a couple of Qatar lounges that do not allow guests.
When Qatar buys IAG in, oh, about 18 months, then I'd expect a similar policy at all IAG airlines.

There's a reason these cutbacks are being implemented so rapidly and VR is being offered. Impending corporate activity has to be top of the list.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold , HH Diamond , IHG Diamond Elite, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
True but I normally find staff waiting to scan your BP. I would miss the nice chat with the staff though.

Exactly, the personal interaction will be missing, it's BA's staff that often make the difference
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Will we have a 'Millionaire's Automatic Barrier' at T5 South as well?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by oscietra
When Qatar buys IAG in, oh, about 18 months, then I'd expect a similar policy at all IAG airlines.

There's a reason these cutbacks are being implemented so rapidly and VR is being offered. Impending corporate activity has to be top of the list.
Except for the tiny problem that EU and UK regulation both denies a non-EEA corporation to own more than 49% of an EEA airline...
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Leaked mock-up of T5 North Lounge entrance

Ha ha - was in stitches at that!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For Flounge, it would improve the experience since 80% of passengers would be happy to Flash And Go, rather than standing behind the person (actually, always a male) arguing about the merits of their extended collection of cost centres being allowed access.
I think this is something BA will file under the miscellaneous ancillary benefits - a reduction in the number of people trying to sweet-talk themselves additional guests, since the machines aren't susceptable to puppy-dog eyes or DYKWIA. Not that the staff are either, but that doesn't stop the attempts... See also the chip & pin readers on the self-tagging machines that LCCs use, there to remorselessly collect your excess baggage fees.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Now where's the fun in that? All those arguments at the entrance are part of the entertainment for those inside!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
See that I can see as a genuine improvement. Why have so many staff when a machine can do the job.

I hope it has a loud siren for those who are rejected. And an even louder more obnoxious fire drill type sound for any bronze members trying their luck haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.