urgent help - passport issue

Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Numb3rs
Should I keep updating this tread once landed in CPH and trying to pass immigration?
For the sake of completeness ^

I don't expect you to have an issue there, but be ready with the same argument just in case.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, of course, please keep us updated on this saga.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Great news. Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Indeed, great that it worked out! Remember that you might face the same issue when flying back from the US to Denmark so if possible at all (depending on where you are) I would strongly encourage your wife to sort out her passport from the US if possible.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed, great that it worked out! Remember that you might face the same issue when flying back from the US to Denmark so if possible at all (depending on where you are) I would strongly encourage your wife to sort out her passport from the US if possible.
I wonder if the LHR-CPH CPH-LHR BPs would be accepted as evidence.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I will be quite surprised if the LHR agent did not thoroughly document the PNR notes, if only to cover himself based on the supervisory approval. That documentation would include notes explaining that OP's wife is admissible to Denmark based on the EEA association and provide the employee ID of the supervisor.

Showing up with old BP's won't do much as all it does is tell one agent that another might have made a mistake.

Stick to the PNR notes.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I will be quite surprised if the LHR agent did not thoroughly document the PNR notes, if only to cover himself based on the supervisory approval. That documentation would include notes explaining that OP's wife is admissible to Denmark based on the EEA association and provide the employee ID of the supervisor.

Showing up with old BP's won't do much as all it does is tell one agent that another might have made a mistake.

Stick to the PNR notes.
If the OP's wife travels with the OP she has an absolute right to enter Denmark under EU law.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Process at the immigration took less than 20 seconds. I'm not even sure the immigration officer noticed the passport was expiring in less than 3 months. I presented the EEA resident cart along with hers and mine passport. Officer took a quit look and stamped her passport. I'm not sure if she is supposed to get a stamp?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Process at the immigration took less than 20 seconds. I'm not even sure the immigration officer noticed the passport was expiring in less than 3 months. I presented the EEA resident cart along with hers and mine passport. Officer took a quit look and stamped her passport. I'm not sure if she is supposed to get a stamp?
The stamp could come in useful on the way back.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:08 pm

The passport should not have been stamped.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
If the OP's wife travels with the OP she has an absolute right to enter Denmark under EU law.
Yes, yes, yes..... That has been established and is not relevant to the question posed.

The question had nothing to do with whether OP's wife has a right to enter Denmark, but about memorializing the process so that the delay at LHR check-in which snagged the expiring Canadian passport and then required consultation with a supervisor to authorize boarding, need not be repeated on departure back to CPH.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Had some issues with the AA security check asking why we went to CPH and back but onboard now and happy

Thanks again
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Great to read this happy ending and safe travels!

For future reference if someone is in similar situation, the API info is not used by the airlines in Europe.

In the case of the OP he could definitely have made it to CPH by putting a later expiry date of his partner's passport in the API. This does not get double checked. (Obviously I would never advocate to do this where a visa/ESTA is involved as it would mean trouble at check-in and denied travel).

Granted, in the case of the OP there may still have been an issue at CPH customs, but better dealt from there than from LHR, especially as to send them back to London they would have used the flight they intended to take anyway.

But in general, if you are the lead in a group/family/colleagues booking intro Europe and have been tasked to check in for everyone, only the First Name and Surname matter in entering the API, not the DOB nor the document number/expiry date. So no need for these frantic search for info when all that matters at his point is to log in quick and get bet seats.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Great to read this happy ending and safe travels!

For future reference if someone is in similar situation, the API info is not used by the airlines in Europe.

In the case of the OP he could definitely have made it to CPH by putting a later expiry date of his partner's passport in the API. This does not get double checked. (Obviously I would never advocate to do this where a visa/ESTA is involved as it would mean trouble at check-in and denied travel).

Granted, in the case of the OP there may still have been an issue at CPH customs, but better dealt from there than from LHR, especially as to send them back to London they would have used the flight they intended to take anyway.

But in general, if you are the lead in a group/family/colleagues booking intro Europe and have been tasked to check in for everyone, only the First Name and Surname matter in entering the API, not the DOB nor the document number/expiry date. So no need for these frantic search for info when all that matters at his point is to log in quick and get bet seats.
You are joking right?

All API data is passed to the UK government for threat assessment. Entering fictitious data is not a sensible way to go when the security services are looking for wrong-doers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ry-scheme-2012
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This has been going on for 13 hours and well into the workday in the UK.

I fail to understand why OP's wife has not undertaken the first basic step here of checking with the Canadian Consulate, or even simply taking her passport and every supporting document over to the Canadian Consulate and physically plopping herself down and asking for assistance, to determine whether, in light of the flight schedules, either a passport or a temporary passport (which permits a USA stopover enroute to Canada) can be issued prior to check-in. I would bring physical print outs of the e-ticket receipts with me and not rely on anything else.

If so, this entire mess is avoided. If not, then trying to make the best of it may be the best of it.

One phone call.
Completely unnecessary -- under the applicable laws -- to do as suggested above. For those with EEA family permits and a passport traveling with EEA citizen immediate relative, a passport remains valid for entry at this port of entry into Schengen/Denmark until the passport expires.

They often don't do as much as you seem to expect above. I do this route a lot and have had access to the PNRs of enough trips for enough people in this kind of situation that there really isn't that much done for such situations most of the times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.