Wiki Posts
Search

Too many Elite members BA/AA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Question Too many Elite members BA/AA

Today I was checking in at JFK for a flight to London. There were more elites than non elite's the check-in. Are we coming at an point that Elite membership is worth nothing like we already see by the USA hotel chains Hilton, Sheraton and Marriott. The US credit cards promo's has brought millions of miles in the game. In the plane the stewardess told me that BA in overrun with US customers with mid-level AA Elite status and that BA is downgrading there Club World service. Quote from stewardess: First Class is our focus now, here are the most customers that are paying for their tickets. Any experience?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ITravelElite
Today I was checking in at JFK for a flight to London. There were more elites than non elite's the check-in. Are we coming at an point that Elite membership is worth nothing like we already see by the USA hotel chains Hilton, Sheraton and Marriott. The US credit cards promo's has brought millions of miles in the game. In the plane the stewardess told me that BA in overrun with US customers with mid-level AA Elite status and that BA is downgrading there Club World service. Quote from stewardess: First Class is our focus now, here are the most customers that are paying for their tickets. Any experience?
BA have already started downgrading their First Class service so not sure where your cabin crew is getting their information.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Every now and again we get posts like yours

The results are often

- yes there are too many
- need to make qualification MUCH harder
- But set the level so I can still be Gold
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

The results are often

- yes there are too many
Quite!

How time flies - has it really been a month since the last such thread?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

The results are often

- yes there are too many
Ok, that was funny (and quite true as well!)

Regards
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
FWIW the credit cards have (relatively) little to do with status, besides a few elite qualifying miles on AA. Priority boarding exists, but is still after proper elites. Perhaps the biggest issue is OW ruby having access to business check-in, but since there's no in-between, not really sure what can be done. Either way, I strongly disagree that status is "worth nothing," even if I'm a lowly sapphire.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
If it was JFK it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that it was a super high J 744 and Y was lightly loaded. I've flown back from New York with Y being very sparsely populated which J has been much busier. But then I guess it is easier to jump to the conclusion that BA has too many elites disrupting the OPs serine progress through the airport and hence onward to the ivory tower of their choosing
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These rants can all be summarized across alliances and carriers as:

"The qualification for my elite level ought to be set at one [Insert Metric: mile/point/Dollar/other unit] than I have."

For what it is worth, the crew with whom OP spoke are crew and not management for a reason. They have no clue what they are speaking about.

Yes, F costs more than CW and so on. But, although the specifics are proprietary, most business analysts believe that on international long-haul, it is Business Class (whatever a carrier wants to call it) which is the most profitable because it represents the best balance between revenue and cost which includes space.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You could also argue that the reason there are too many elite members is due to those that do TP runs in the US. I seem to remember you posting about doing one or two of those to attain and retain status. It is easier of course to complain about how someone else's status is worth less (or is less important)than your own.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Often1
These rants can all be summarized across alliances and carriers as:

"The qualification for my elite level ought to be set at one [Insert Metric: mile/point/Dollar/other unit] than I have."

For what it is worth, the crew with whom OP spoke are crew and not management for a reason. They have no clue what they are speaking about.

Yes, F costs more than CW and so on. But, although the specifics are proprietary, most business analysts believe that on international long-haul, it is Business Class (whatever a carrier wants to call it) which is the most profitable because it represents the best balance between revenue and cost which includes space.
I thought WT+ was the most profitable?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Does anyone really care how many elites there are if you are still getting the benefits advertised?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Maybe those "elites" with poor grammar could be the first cut?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:52 am

Just watching the Olympics. Is travelling on an aircraft many times now an "elite" sport?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Time for elite popcorn
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Today I was checking in at JFK for a flight to London. There were more elites than non elite's the check-in.
Probably those who earn their status through work travel taking their wife and two kids on the annual holiday. Multiply that several times and you end up with a crowd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.