Wiki Posts
Search

Help booking ex-uk on the phone

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Help booking ex-uk on the phone

Hi all

Just been told of a policy change that I wanted to check with you guys if you’ve heard of this.

I'm trying to book an ex-eu to the US on the phone with BA and want to force the AA internal legs to be booked as AA flights (not BA codeshares) so i get the First TP's rather than the business class tp's I would get if booked as a BA flight.

the agent is telling me they have been told to book onto BA code if one exists and wouldn’t budge. I'm not sure i quite believe this but has anyone else had similar? Not the end of the world as I can book the correct ones via AA.com if needed but would prefer the Amex bonus points for booking through BA if possible…

Cheers
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
i've heard this on here before but the common suggestion was to hang up the phone and call again
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:22 am

I've read several reports of this recently. I'm thinking it is a policy change.

You can try HUACA but you might not find a different outcome.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: Lufthansa , British Airways, IHG, Hilton, Marriott
We are having issues with OLCI if mixing BA/AA flight numbers recently - Could it be FLY?. BA all the way doesn't seem to have the issues.

Perhaps try a local TA?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Hi all, bit of an update.

Had a chat with someone else who wasn’t hugely helpful and couldn’t get the same fare I could get via aa.com, ITA and google flights.

Tried a third time and got an old timer who knew all about TP running and was quite happy to ticket me into whatever fare codes I wanted. So looks like it's hit and miss on who you get.

First trip to HNL, Ex-Dub booked including a night in Vegas on the way. Two FT’ers on the loose in Vegas for 24 hours… what’s the worst that can happen…?

Full TR to follow.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Look forward to TR as its a similar route and tier point run we want to plan.^
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I was told exactly the same on a relatively recent call - that where a BA code exists that they had to use that rather than the AA code (for example). That was definitely the case for flights from the UK. Where the flight originates in the US and is operated by another carrier then that carrier's flight number would be used in preference to a BA codeshare.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I deal with this by booking ex EU on the phone with BA to an east coast point of entry (e.g. JFK or BOS) and then booking domestic first directly with AA for the internal flights. There are pros and cons to both approaches - e.g. not being on one ticket is not ideal if you have close connections, more avois (I think?) on BA tickets versus the tier points on domestic first. Bookings on aa.com can be in sterling which is a bonus and I have booked ex DUB on aa.com in sterling several times (plus if you put business in as the travel class, the domestic legs seem to automatically be in first).
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I've been told the same (in my case for the first time) by a supervisor on the GGL line the other day. Insisted and got them to book me what I wanted. I'll admit that it worried me a little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.