Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will Delta's new business class be superior to BA First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
The new Delta seat looks extremely claustrophobic. Nothing kills a business class seat more than having half of your body in the seat in front. There is absolutely nothing revolutionary about this design.

BA's CW seat is absolutely fine. It is a bed in the sky, which what a J seat is supposed to be. Just because ten or fifteen of BA's passengers are always looking for the next best thing does not mean that the airline should change a seat that is working. The absolute majority of passengers are flying to get from A to B, not to experience unparalleled luxury. There comes a point where a new design brings nothing to the overall experience. The new AA seat looks good but it does not do what the CW seat does not - both allow the passenger to get good sleep. I don't see how the new DL seat revolutionizes travel when it is a mere bed - something that many airlines have been offering for years. Business class travel is all about being able to sleep and work, which the CW seat successfully achieves - why change it? It is one thing to bring something unique to the market (which BA did when it changed a seat into a bed) and it is a different thing to offer something that has for long been on the market but in a different design. Then, it just comes to pricing, schedule, FFPs, alliances etc.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:41 am

Just to remind everyone, BA *will* be launching a new CW seat when the A350 comes online and this will have direct aisle access.

Photos (leaked) and discussion here:

New Club World (Genuinely something new)
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by N1120A
... Also, BA has significantly better wine and food than Delta and I don't expect that to change.
For now...
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Just to remind everyone, BA *will* be launching a new CW seat when the A350 comes online and this will have direct aisle access.

Photos (leaked) and discussion here:

New Club World (Genuinely something new)
But, with apparently no plans to retrofit to the rest of the fleet...
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
A significant part of Delta's "new" product is hype. These are going to be little cubby doors and not really a seating revolution. Also, BA has significantly better wine and food than Delta and I don't expect that to change.
The fact that transforming regular seats into fully enclosed ones is not a revolutionary to the seat itself does not make it pure hype either. Privacy is a value in its own right, and one which many, myself included value a lot.

In particular, one of the issue with the staggered seating is precisely that on half the rows you are directly by the aisle (just as you are in CW aisle seats by the way) exposed to traffic. Enclosure will make those seats a valuable choice again. I'd certainly choose this new DL1 seat concept over CW any day.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
So what if it is. If seats are important then move your business to Delta.

Most frequent flyers are "locked" into specific airline programmes and that drives their loyalty. Alternativley, they are "locked" into airlines per their corporate travel policies.

On transatlantic flight, I would choose an AA 777-300 flight over any BA flight in business class for the seats. Fare are generally the same and BA TPs credits are identical. I am not that desperate for extra Avios by booking BA; the seat comfort outweights extra Avios.

BA continue to earn large profits so there is no pressure on them to change strategy.

Still there is the marraige between Delta and Virgin to factor in. Would definitely consider trying out the seats if I can use my large bank of VS points (from my credit card) to redeem seats.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'd certainly choose this new DL1 seat concept over CW any day.
But will you actually start flying DL rather than BA? Any investment needs to be justified, and any airline will want to see a return on the investment. If the only thing BA will achieve is the approval of a few Flyertalkers but no significant increase in passenger numbers then it will be a waste of money to introduce a new seat. Many people complain about various aspects of flying BA but refuse to actually pay a competitor. Very few leave.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
I have to say I find this seat claustrophobic to look at let alone sit in.

I think Singapore Airlines have a similar arrangement where legs go under the seat in front but that is almost full width - as I look at the Delta pic it looks like there would be only around half the seat width that is available?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL's new seat will be way better than CW, but still a little behind F.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:00 am

To answer the thread title, I do not believe this is better than F, however it has closed the gap somewhat.

I like CW, it offers all one expects from a J seat. Is it the best in the world, no. Does it get me to where I want in relative comfort, yes! So whats my choice going West. Delta on 12+ or (AA J > BA J). I'll take my ice cream sundae and onboard wifi thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Looking solely at the pictures? In no way will it be better than BA F

Better than CW? It probably comes down to whether you like having your feet shoved in a box for 8 hours and if not sleeping a TV inches from your face at all times
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Also, BA has significantly better wine and food than Delta and I don't expect that to change.
I wouldn't count on it, given the monthly cycle of catering enhancements we're seeing across BA.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Also, BA has significantly better wine and food than Delta and I don't expect that to change.
Does it? This is dinner on Delta from the East coast (don't remember where from) to London.

Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Doesn't look any more superior to what Iberia has been offering for a while in their J cabin and it's far behind the BA F product.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
A significant part of Delta's "new" product is hype. These are going to be little cubby doors and not really a seating revolution. Also, BA has significantly better wine and food than Delta and I don't expect that to change.
It's down to preference but I rather have a better seat for 10 hours than "better" food and wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.