Wiki Posts
Search

Is Club Europe Worth the Money?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Blue
Is Club Europe Worth the Money?

I have been looking at flights from EDI to CPH with BA. Since BA don't operate flights direct from Edinburgh I'd need to go via London. My question is, is club Europe worth the extra money?

Having the extra leg room, and not having someone sitting directly next to you does sound nice but not sure if it's worth the price tag.

Any advise would be great.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:38 pm

No Leg room. Not worth the money unless you want the points.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Worth something? Yes, but how much is a matter of heated debate. The extra TPs are main driver for me, but quicker exit from plane and no immediate neighbour etc. are probably worth Ł20 or so. Maybe on a longer flight that would be higher. TPs can tip "value" north of Ł60 usually
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. Is there a direct option regardless of carrier? If so take that.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
I think it's only worth the money if someone else is paying! I only ever use my money for CE when I'm travelling on an ex-EU in CW.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

How much extra are we talking about?

For the EDI-LHR flight there is no CE cabin just the standard domestic cabin.

CE would give you an extra hold baggage ( up to 32kg each) - it is 1 piece at 23kg in Euro traveller,
Priority check in
Priority boarding
Lounge access
a better meal and bar service on the LHR CPH flight

Extra tier points.

For a small amount of money it is probably worthwhile especially if you do not have status

Regards

TBS

Entirely a matter of personal opinion and what the money is worth to you.

The planes are all economy seating though.
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Poster is a Blue so he is looking at four lots of lounge access for a start plus a lot of extra Avios. Easily worth Ł100 return factoring everything in.

However, the sheer effort of changing at Heathrow means that I would be seriously looking at flying direct even if it is with someone rubbish :-)
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:43 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
If your tall and you can get row possibly but an exit row in ET is far better
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
In those cabins, NO!
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
As you're a Blue, it might be. If you had lounge access already, I would probably say no.

CE is a perfectly civilised way to travel. You get shorter queues, the empty middle seat is a surprisingly big plus (to me at least), and you have a lounge & open bar... Considering you'd be spending several hours at the airport/flying each way, and these hours will be the start and end to your trip... It's up to you really. What's important to you?

If you have enough avios, I personally wouldn't hesitate to take a redemption on CE if I were in your position. Paying... depends on the price and if you see yourself reaching Bronze and above.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:47 pm

You do realise you haven't said how much money it is? Whether it's "worth the money" is rather dependent on that!
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Do you have to go with BA or do you have a choice?

CE really isn't worth it I think, it's very overrated and it's basically an economy seat with an empty middle but of course you get lounge access etc. A different story of you're after the TP's.

For such a shortish flight at under 2 hours, and I live in Edinburgh, I think I'd much rather take the direct flight with one of the LCC's.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)
Depending upon your connection times you may not have that much time in the lounges given that many CPH flights are operated by JetTime, and another thread on here has noted regular delays.

Also BA share a lounge at CPH which is ok, no great shakes - nice view over the airport, and basic food/drink. However, it's a longish walk to the BA gates from the lounge and you need to allow time for passport control. They are installing e-gates but when I was there last month they weren't all open and if flying during holiday time queues can be horrendous.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
I always fly CE - for the more personalised service and the better food and drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.