Some good news! [discretionary renewal]

Old Aug 12, 16, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Some good news! [discretionary renewal]

...well for me anyway . And just to shine some light on what seems to be a fair few negative threads, here is a positive one.

Today I received - to my delight and surprise - a silver renewal for another year, despite not having made the TP. Very nice gesture from BA ^ perhaps they saw the ~12 odd years at silver/gold and gave me a bonus!
Old Aug 12, 16, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Just for interest how far short of TP's were you?
Old Aug 12, 16, 10:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That's good to hear, and I think there have been other FTers a bit short on TPs but long histories who carry over. I wouldn't count on it lasting for long, but it's to some extent the sweet spot on BAEC and you have another year to enjoy it.
Old Aug 12, 16, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Indeed, and it's very gratefully appreciated as well - I don't do nearly as much LH these days, but the semi-numerous short haul trips are made a bit nicer with lounge etc.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
That's good to hear, and I think there have been other FTers a bit short on TPs but long histories who carry over. I wouldn't count on it lasting for long, but it's to some extent the sweet spot on BAEC and you have another year to enjoy it.
Old Aug 12, 16, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I take it you didn't fall short of the silver TPs as a pre-existing gold?
Old Aug 12, 16, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
A nice gesture from BA - pro-actively given. I expect little touches like this go a long way.
Old Aug 12, 16, 12:30 pm

I am rather a bit selfishly hoping for something similar but on the Gold level... For around ten years I've rather easily qualified for Gold, and last year also earned a GUF2 at 2500 tier points (which I'm having a rather hard time figuring out when or if I'll be able to use... but that's another matter). On that basis, shortly after my membership year renewed in August 2015, I had a bunch of flights in F coming up on AA that would basically give me almost-instant Platinum and a sled load of extra AA miles with a promotion on premium long-haul they had running, so I figured, why not? The tier points on those flights amounted to 1120, and as I had exceeded the Gold requirements the year before by that amount, I figured I'd still be okay.

Next comes a bit of (temporary) change in travel patterns, and some redemption flights using AA miles on flights I otherwise would have bought (including some BA) just before AA's own devaluation of miles. So, a few days ago, I ended my BA year for the first time in probably a decade without enough points to renew Gold.

In the time since I took my chances last year, both AA and BA have reduced their baggage allowances in Business (what I usually have to fly on both... First has been removed from my two main routes on each airline), so in my case the extra bag as an Emerald has gone from occasionally convenient to often almost necessary. I didn't expect that to happen, either...

If I'm suddenly "stuck" with Sapphire on both carriers rather than what I expected to happen, then the next year might see me facing some interesting choices. If BA chose to look the other way this once after a decade or so as a Gold, then I'm pretty sure I'd load up my earning with them again, and maybe make sure I don't miss Gold again until I hit the 35,000 tier point for life mark!
Old Aug 12, 16, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA
I have heard the same from a friend who is Gold and gained 1460 this year. They also gave him a discretionary extension on gold for another year however he has only been part of the executive club since 2014, therefore, I think it's rather based on types of tickets and spend.

Or the person who did the 8th of August cohort is just generous
Old Aug 12, 16, 12:49 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by BABenchley View Post
Or the person who did the 8th of August cohort is just generous
Have they rehired the guy who loaded the fares last year?!
Old Aug 12, 16, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Blue,AB Silver, Marriott Silver,Hilton Gold,ANEK Ferries Gold,Accor Silver, IHG Plat,BW Diamond,
So hopefully my b**e status will be renewed for another year

BK
Old Aug 12, 16, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I think I'll work on talking another holiday, just to be certain

However, good news for the winners in life's lottery! And I believe HIDDY's Blue renewal is in the post too!
Old Aug 12, 16, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Blue,AB Silver, Marriott Silver,Hilton Gold,ANEK Ferries Gold,Accor Silver, IHG Plat,BW Diamond,
I always thought blue was never to be mentioned on this hallowed forum
Old Aug 12, 16, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
However, good news for the winners in life's lottery! And I believe HIDDY's Blue renewal is in the post too!
By now I'd think HIDDY should have his own new status... I propose Executive Club Indigo: just past Blue, but if you're in a really dark room it's as black as a Premier Card, so there's an easy explanation for any shenanigans that otherwise would seem unlikely.
Old Aug 12, 16, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BravoKilo View Post
I always thought blue was never to be mentioned on this hallowed forum
We are always inclusive, Brother Blue. Just wait until we've boarded

Originally Posted by Schultzois View Post
By now I'd think HIDDY should have his own new status... I propose Executive Club Indigo: just past Blue, but if you're in a really dark room it's as black as a Premier Card, so there's an easy explanation for any shenanigans that otherwise would seem unlikely.
Good solution. Perpetual Indigo is a good title, IMO.
Old Aug 12, 16, 3:05 pm

Smile

[QUOTE=T8191;27055609]We are always inclusive, Brother Blue. Just wait until we've boarded

But not when I'm not traveling in F :-:

Search this Thread
Search Engine: