Some good news! [discretionary renewal]

Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:33 am

Exactly the same as greenpen for me too, I was optimistically hoping I might get the 7 day advance seat selection for my trip next year, but unfortunately we'll just have to take what's left!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Email saying gold, account says silver

My friend was surprised to get an email today welcoming to being Gold which was a surprise as she doesn't have enough TPs to keep the gold card but she has more than enough for silver. Is this just a BA IT glitch?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think we are seeing a pattern here. See also this recent thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...y-renewal.html

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Oct 3, 2016 at 1:22 pm Reason: remove circular reference
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
So should we wait fingers crossed for the account page to be updated to show gold?

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think we are seeing a pattern here. See also this recent thread:q

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...y-renewal.html
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Litmus test will be nabbing row 1 on a CE booking or entry into GF. I'm usually an optimist so I'll only say I hope it's not an IT glitch
Judging by some of the website 'features' I've seen lately, nothing would surprise me.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:09 pm

Another one! Great news for all those that benefit ^

Forward bookings on BA must be atrocious, if they are reverting doling out free status cards as they did in 2008/09.

Hopefully a big sale will be planned soon for JV routes - I need to get booking a LAX return - TATL on AA of course
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:16 pm

Waiting for my Premier status...
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I'll just settle for GGL!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:02 pm

Seeing as the website / app hasn't updated yet with the status suggested in the email, I'm increasingly thinking that this was a snafu, and that the wrong field was being read from a database somewhere when the distribution list was being prepared...

Shame. But I didn't exactly deserve silver
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:51 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by markle
Seeing as the website / app hasn't updated yet with the status suggested in the email, I'm increasingly thinking that this was a snafu
If that's the case then we're observing two separate phenomena, which may or may not be related. My family member's 'undeserved' Gold status is still showing on the website and in the app.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:19 am

Via DM on Twitter:

Hi Markle,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the email you received about your Executive Club Tier status. I have checked this for you and I can confirm that the Bronze Tier status showing on your account is correct.

I would like to thank you for raising this issue with us and after speaking with our Systems team, I can assure you that this is being investigated. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this has caused and thank you again for getting in touch. ^EC
I suspect other people receiving "welcome" emails for their former status over the weekend also received them in error.

As a positive though, the service from the Twitter team is much, much better than the people replying to emails. I'm pretty sure they've have just bounced it back to me with a form email saying that their records show that I'm Bronze.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Just a quick reference point on "What status will I be next year?".

There are two key dates - collection year which ends on 8th of month and membership year which ends on last day of following month.

The collection year date is the point at which your following year's membership is determined (excepting any two week grace periods) and the point at which any discretionary renewal will also be awarded.

To check what is happening, a few days after the end of your collection year, look in the request Executive Club items section of ba.com. It will show whether a renewal pack for your current status is being processed or a pack for your downgrade to a lower tier.

None of this will affect the appearance of ba.com, which will continue to show your status as is until the end of your membership year. In other words, the fact it doesn't change colour does not mean you have retained status. You receive all benefits relating to your existing level of status during that period.

Other frequently asked questions are what happens to things done before the drop like TCPs (for GCHs dropping to silver) and other seat assignments. The answer seems to be that they stick unless BA has some reason to revalidate seat selections. That happens regularly for 1A/1K in F, less so for other cabins unless there is an change of plane. Everything else (lounge entitlement, extra baggage etc) depends on status at time of flight, not time of booking.
Strawb likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:14 am

I can chime in here that I was fortunate enough to have Gold renewed despite falling far short in my August to August Tier point year. Maybe it helped that I had over 2500 the year before, so if you look at both years, I still "averaged out" to more than 1500 per year for Gold.

I might add that one of the reasons I dropped off last year is that I put a lot of my earning into AAdvantage instead (and was holding Sapphire with them alongside Gold at BA). AAdvantage changes of late have not made me so happy either, so I'm likely to put my flights back into BA earning after my short respite. Both airlines are leaving me a bit disappointed at the moment, however. Nevertheless, the discretionary renewal will indeed ensure that I keep trying to book BA this year, whereas I might have given up otherwise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.