Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some good news! [discretionary renewal]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
They used to sell Silver for £250 but we are going well back now.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
I was running short by just 10 points to reach another year as GGL. Really didn't want to rely on BA's good nature, so it was a quick BtoB to Manchester last Sunday for me.

Has anyone been given another GGL when short on points?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
I had a discretionary GGL renewal although I'd rather not say from what. It was a lovely surprise, but that was after I took 6 months maternity after averaging 7k TPs the previous 5 years.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:58 pm

Comped silver? Or email sent in error?

I woke up on Saturday morning to be downgraded from Silver to Bronze. This was very much expected - only got ~100 TPs in the last year as most of my work was in the UK.

This afternoon, I had an email from BA saying "Welcome to Silver!" outlining Silver benefits. Website / app both still show Bronze.

I'm a BAPP cardholder and put through a lot of spend each year. I also have bookings this month for a bunch of work flights that will earn ~300 TPs.

Have I been comped Silver, and it'll just take time to filter through to the website? Or (more likely) has BA just twisted the knife a bit by screwing up and sending me a 'Silver' email rather than a 'Bronze' email?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Why don't you call and ask? Both are possible. BA seems to quite frequently renew status for people who fall even quite a lot short of the threshold especially if they have been there for years or if, as may well be the case at the moment, they expect tough times ahead. However, if the website says differently that is certainly a bit odd. Maybe try to log off and on to see if anything changes?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA, VS,
My new bronze cards arrived on Saturday also no with the BA account saying bronze. Then today I got the same email. Confused!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Yeah - here too.

Was 80 points short of Silver renewal in August but ba.com showed as still having silver after the TPs were zeroed....until 1st October when I flipped to Bronze.....and then just got an e-mail earlier today to say 'Welcome to Silver' (still showing Bronze on ba.com). Maybe I have been busted to Bronze as the Silver card was still valid until end of September?

Who knows? Maybe they've rumbled me for booking flights to BOM in January on Etihad?

TBH the only real benefit of Silver is not having to pay for seat selection which I refuse to do. Etihad don't charge for seat selection (but don't really have any duff seats in J). Just another reason to enjoy AA on TATL flights to NY at Christmas.

Never fly Domestic and rarely in Europe so no real worries about not having lounge access.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like forward bookings have taken a real nosedive and BA are into 2008-09 damage limitation mode with triple miles promotions and status comps. Looking forward to a big Avios sale and the next IAG quarterly results.....
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
I was running short by just 10 points to reach another year as GGL. Really didn't want to rely on BA's good nature, so it was a quick BtoB to Manchester last Sunday for me.

I was 10 TPs short of 3.5k for 2xGUF1s and BA very generously gave me the TPs for a redemption flight. Targeted I'm sure
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:25 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Sounds like [...] BA are into 2008-09 damage limitation mode
We don't yet know if it will be quite that extreme, but the reason I'm reading this thread -- and now adding a data point -- is a completely unexpected Gold renewal in my family.

The member in question ended her first year with Gold status on fewer than 800 TPs. She racked up 400+ TPs in the week after 8 August to start her new collection year, and will reach 1,500 TPs before October ends, but should still by rights have dropped to Silver this past weekend. She didn't and on checking the BAEC website saw that a Gold renewal pack was sent out on 14 August (she hasn't seen it because she's been travelling).
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:23 am

I think it might be a glitch of some kind. My year finished on September 30th and the website colour went from bronze to blue. I got the email welcoming me as a bronze on October 2nd followed by another today (3rd) telling me I'm blue! Website is still blue.

I am an important passenger for BA as I have 690 lifetime tier points and my last flight was in CE. Just the sort of person they should be cosseting!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I think it might be a glitch of some kind. My year finished on September 30th and the website colour went from bronze to blue. I got the email welcoming me as a bronze on October 2nd followed by another today (3rd) telling me I'm blue! Website is still blue.
Yep, I'm suspecting that was the case too. I've not had any further emails today, but the website / app is still showing Bronze, and unlike IMH's experience, the website is showing that a Bronze (not Silver) pack was sent to me on August 14th - never received it though.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Originally Posted by markle
Yep, I'm suspecting that was the case too. I've not had any further emails today, but the website / app is still showing Bronze, and unlike IMH's experience, the website is showing that a Bronze (not Silver) pack was sent to me on August 14th - never received it though.
Yeah, the same happened to me. I had a "Welcome to Silver" e-mail on Saturday but my online account is showing Bronze. Curiously though, they've processed the order for my downgrade but haven't sent the card yet, despite my Silver card now being out of date. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:55 am
EdC

Programs: BA Silver, Accor + Hilton Gold, YHA Life member
Ditto - Silver card arrived a week or two ago, email welcoming me back to Gold arrived this morning. Assume as well that it's a glitch.

Reminds me, I'd best change my Flyertalk profile...
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by EdC
Ditto - Silver card arrived a week or two ago, email welcoming me back to Gold arrived this morning. Assume as well that it's a glitch.

Reminds me, I'd best change my Flyertalk profile...
Oh don't worry, I'm sure you won't be the only one who fibs about their status on here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.