Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can't check-in online - BA blame AA, AA blame BA

Old Aug 11, 16, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Online check-in opened for my flight about an hour ago.

So it was booked with AA, but the first flight (well, first two flights) are on BA.

There have been a couple of changes to the flights, and on AA's systems they look fine. But BA's booking management shows all the changes:

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 19.53.46.png
Views: 2894
Size:  316.3 KB

BA are saying I can't check-in online, and they can't do anything on the phone, because "AA haven't confirmed the changes, and if they say they have they're lying." AA say it's all confirmed and ready to go. BA's online thing says Confirmed. Neither airline can help me. And both say the other one is lying! No idea who to believe.

I only want to check-in online because I have about 100 minutes at Amsterdam between arriving and leaving, and not sure if there's a oneworld transfer desk or if I'd have to leave and go back in?

Edit: Didn't realise the image would be so giant! Whoops.

Last edited by cooksey87; Aug 11, 16 at 2:01 pm Reason: Comment
Old Aug 11, 16, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sounds like the PNRs are out of sync. There's a very good chance that this will check in fine at the airport, codeshares and flight changes tend to cause this, and if a BA customer has an AA codeshare on their booking it doesn't always OLCI. No one is lying, it's just down to the complexities of two large airlines on two totally different systems, held together by some ropey interfaces.

In terms of what do at AMS: go straight to the BA lounge. Depending on your arrival flight it may be en route, but it is airside in any event. And try again tomorrow, just in case it's come out in the wash. If you are delayed, then still go to the BA gate if you won't have time to get to the lounge. The BA lounge to the likely gate is a good, and I mean good, 10 minutes schlep. The gate can also sort this out since at AMS the gate staff also handle check-in. However it is normally the case that you need to be checked in 45 minutes before departure.

So long as you've been ticketed, everything else is relatively easy to sort out. Well, easier than sustaining MIA to SCL on AA, I hope that's a decent aircraft!
Old Aug 11, 16, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Ah, thanks very much! That's put my mind at ease a bit. Will head straight to the lounge/gate and try to get it sorted there as soon as we're off the plane. No luggage to sort out at least.

Luckily MIA-SCL got switched to one of their new 772s; so will hopefully be a comfortable flight to sleep on!
Old Aug 11, 16, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
You might find the relevant ticket on classic.checkmytrip.com using the BA reference. MMB starts to be a real mess when you have changes but usually shows everything, AA can end up generating additional records with new references which you have to track down to get the latest picture.

Last edited by MADPhil; Aug 11, 16 at 2:53 pm Reason: full address for checkmytrip
Old Aug 11, 16, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
You might find the relevant ticket on classic.checkmytrip.com using the BA reference. MMB starts to be a real mess when you have changes but usually shows everything, AA can end up generating additional records with new references which you have to track down to get the latest picture.
Ah, so the cancelled flights are still there, just under separate itineraries saying 'unable, does not operate'. I guess that's what's confusing BA's systems.

Hopefully will all go well at AMS!...
Old Aug 11, 16, 4:27 pm
Accor Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVPG, BA silver, Crystal Society Double Diamond
Thumbs down Similar struggle right now BA blames AS AS blames BA

Our friends are unable to check in for their BA flight tomorrow. It is now less than 24hrs. BA are NOT helpful. Bad show BA.
Old Aug 12, 16, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
My experience is that BA and AA IT don't communicate very well with each other. I've had this happen to me, with an initial leg on AA connecting to BA. BA wouldn't let me checkin until the AA segment was checked in (the error message you get isn't helpful, I don't remember in detail, but probably the "Our systems are currently not responding, please try later"). AA couldn't checkin on line for some reason I never understood. I finally called them up (very easy, no holding and someone in the USA who spoke English) and they pushed the magic buttons allowing me to checkin, but still requiring me to go to a desk. And even after I had checked in subsequently on BA, I still got paged to go to an agent in LAX.
Old Aug 12, 16, 5:17 am

Programs: BA silver.
Ditto on the 'BA and AA systems don't play nicely together' anecdata. A mixed booking turned out to be a great way to end up in a middle seat across the Atlantic, since I couldn't check in until I got to ORD.
Old Aug 12, 16, 5:30 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
On a related note I am about to book an AMS-LHR-MIA-SJO on AA.com.

On the AMS-LHR, AA.com is offering either the BA flight (BA423) or the AA codeshare on the same plane (AA6434).

On the LHR-MIA the booking is offering me AA metal (AA39) or BA metal (AA6162).

On the way back it is also offering me the choice of AA metal or BA metal (on an AA codeshare).

Generally speaking, which of these options is best for ensuring no check in glitches such as the above?
Old Aug 12, 16, 5:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet View Post
Generally speaking, which of these options is best for ensuring no check in glitches such as the above?
AMS-LGW-SJO on BA.com

If on AA, keep as much AA stuff in there as you can, but it is usually OK to have BA metal under BA prime code on the first sector, that should check in fine on the BA side. Key to it is to have the personal data on the AA.com side up to date, API, address, emergency contact / decline. Ditto BA API too. At Heathrow you can't easily avoid a discussion with AA at T3 anyway, they have a special hall for this just before security, so if you don't have a boarding pass you have a reasonably easy place to get it; with BA to MIA you won't have that.
Old Aug 12, 16, 5:42 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Thank you for the swift reply - I am planning to 'force' an overnight in MIA to see family there, hence the routing.

For the first leg is it actually better to be on the BA code AMS-LHR, or does it just not make a difference one way or the other?
Old Aug 12, 16, 5:45 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet View Post
Thank you for the swift reply - I am planning to 'force' an overnight in MIA to see family there, hence the routing.

For the first leg is it actually better to be on the BA code AMS-LHR, or does it just not make a difference one way or the other?
Better to be BA code I would say, if you are BAEC. This should then come up automatically in BA.com under your login, you can get the API up to scratch and it should work on both the BA App and BA.com for OLCI. Nothing in life is guaranteed! That said I doubt that is the sector you are worried about, I guess it's the USA sectors, and I wouldn't pay extra for being BA prime code unless there was something else in it for me (e.g. extra Avios).

And it's worth getting familiar with the AA app, it's usually quite good, login as a guest and don't exit out of your reservation so you don't have to put the PNR in there all the time.
Old Aug 12, 16, 5:49 am

Thanks so much. It's the sector I am actually most worried about in the sense that a problem with it could kibosh the whole itinerary. I will take your advice. Thanks again.
Old Aug 12, 16, 7:11 am

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Originally Posted by catandmouse View Post
And even after I had checked in subsequently on BA, I still got paged to go to an agent in LAX.
This is normal when connecting from another airline to BA ex-USA. BA haven't seen you yet; they need to check your passport before boarding starts so they can resolve any issues.
Old Jun 8, 17, 11:39 pm

The problems with online check-in on a BA ticketed itinerary with an AA domestic segment continue. I tried to check in at T-24 for a JFK-SAN segment on aa.com. I am redirected to ba.com:

Check in with British Airways
We’ll redirect you to check in for your British Airways flight.

Continue Cancel

On ba.com, i keep getting this message:
Online Check-in Available 24 hours before your flight departure time

Error
We are unable to display your booking. To check in and receive your boarding pass, please proceed to the airport.

Last edited by satish_ny; Jun 8, 17 at 11:40 pm Reason: typo

Search this Thread
Search Engine: