Is this a new announcement onboard?

Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by 355F1
Just about to depart LAX on the A380.

Along with the regular announcements the cabin attendant said, "....and all devices and phones need to be unplugged from the power source when not in use."

I fly a lot and have never heard any airline say this...
In practice I'm not sure how this would ever really be enforced. In the case of the CW seat, you cannot see the charging area when the seat is in bed mode. And passengers can of course bring battery packs that may be used to charge phones, tablets, and laptops independent of the power system that BA provides.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
All seats have a light that comes on (which all crew can see easily) when a device is plugged in, if someone is asleep and the light is on I unplug the device, why do people ignore safety related annoucement, do the think the know best?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
In regards to the not moving a seat if the device falls down below it... There is a picture that has just been shared internally on Yammer of an iPhone, well, parts of it, that were retrieved from a CW seat on the A380 after it was dropped down the side, and the customer decided to move the seat instead of telling the crew.

It is about 20 parts and completely mangled. Yes, the risk may be low of it starting any sort of fire, but the risk is still there.

I won't copy and share the picture, as I don't want to get into trouble again, but it is very real.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: BA silver.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
why do people ignore safety related annoucement, do the think the know best?
But if it isn't couched as a safety-related announcement, pax might not make the connection. The first time I heard this was on CA and they didn't explain *why* you couldn't charge devices, so I assumed it was because they didn't want all these devices sucking up power for some sensible limited-onboard-electricity-supply-related reason. "iPADS BURSTING INTO FLAMES" just didn't enter my head.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
All seats have a light that comes on (which all crew can see easily) when a device is plugged in, if someone is asleep and the light is on I unplug the device, why do people ignore safety related annoucement, do the think the know best?
Does that light illuminate if the USB port is being used to charge a phone.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Do you know I'm not sure but I think not.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Have noticed the new seat/phone announcement myself recently, as well as the safety video on Cathay which makes the same point. I do think airlines should state it is for safety reasons as otherwise pax probably just assume it is in case the phone gets lost (the former rationale might be more memorable).
Old Aug 13, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Guilty!

It's not new but this one is.
If you are seated in our First or Club World cabins please take care that your personal electronic device does not get lost beneath your seat. If it does, please do not move the seat and let one of us know.
I am sure I am not on my own in being someone who has lost an iPad down the side of a First seat... Slight panic ensued 20 minutes before landing as I wondered if I would see it again. I had to move to another seat while two lovely crew members wrestled to get it out. I am sure they had better things to be doing at that particular time.

It didn't fare too badly although I noticed a couple of weeks later it had sustained a significant dent in the back which I'd not noticed because of the cover. Not sure about the seat but can't have done it much good either having an iPad wedged in the workings.

Definitely something worth being mindful of.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:07 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
The interesting thing is that this announcement about not using at seat power was made on A319/20 flights to and from BLQ over the last few weeks. I've not noticed any at seat power on SH.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:59 pm

Mid Pacific IPhone fire onboard.

KLM LI-ION battery fire in cabin

Last edited by Sigwx; Aug 14, 2016 at 2:08 pm
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
The interesting thing is that this announcement about not using at seat power was made on A319/20 flights to and from BLQ over the last few weeks. I've not noticed any at seat power on SH.
MF tend to do that once in a while, probably habit.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:14 pm

I think the problem with this policy is that if it started getting enforced with any vigour at BA (and so far it doesn't seem to be), people will just resort to bringing external battery power blocks to charge their devices from overnight instead.

I'd be more worried about that personally, given where those devices come from (I've had at least 3 of them as freebies lately, each more dodgy than the last), and it's something the crew can't do much about until it's too late if the device is squirrels away in a seat back pocket or the CW drawer. I think the in seat power (which is hopefully tested regularly!) is the lesser of two evils there.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Originally Posted by CD747
I think the problem with this policy is that if it started getting enforced with any vigour at BA (and so far it doesn't seem to be), people will just resort to bringing external battery power blocks to charge their devices from overnight instead.

I'd be more worried about that personally, given where those devices come from (I've had at least 3 of them as freebies lately, each more dodgy than the last), and it's something the crew can't do much about until it's too late if the device is squirrels away in a seat back pocket or the CW drawer. I think the in seat power (which is hopefully tested regularly!) is the lesser of two evils there.
The new announcements and policies being enforced are a direct result of being an increasing amount of PED incidents.

It is the job of crew to enforce the rules, and to help ensure the safety of everyone on the aircraft but actually everyone on board needs to take responsibility for their own equipment.

I have had incidents recently where I have had to argue with passengers for using the hoover sockets (which are more likely to truly mess up your PED than anything else, so just don't use them!), and for sleeping with a Laptop plugged in to the normal UK socket under the WT seat on an A380, the laptop was hidden under a pillow on an empty middle seat despite me already asking during the meal service for him to make sure he unplugged before he slept. I woke him up and he was very dramatic and upset.

The announcement about dropping your phone down into the seat mechanisms is also due to so many incidents, please be careful.

Safety is the responsibility of everyone on the aircraft not just the crew, so your help and co-operation is much appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:09 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
My recent observations are that quite a few people do not care about safety rules anymore and do not even bother observe them if they think they are against their own convenience:
2 flights this week end and I saw:
- One person having a phone call during take off
- People walking in the aisle during alignment on the runway
- People walking in the aisle during taxi
- One person unbuckling during take off and landing just after the crew passed
- People leaving stuff (bags, electronics) on their lap during landing and take off

Passengers are getting complacent with this. Crews too.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
MF tend to do that once in a while, probably habit.
They sometimes also remind passengers travelling in their First/Club World cabins on the A320 to keep the floor area around their seat completely clear for take off and landing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.