What does IB F class earn on BAEC?

Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
What does IB F class earn on BAEC?

I've just booked a MAD-TLV return on IB via TravelUp in (what I thought was) business class. On receiving the confirmation email, I saw that the TLV-MAD sector had booked into F class and was described as "First", while the other sectors were booked into I class. Knowing that IB don't offer F, I called IB and TravelUp who both confirmed that the sector in question had in fact been ticketed in the economy cabin. TravelUp claim that IB use F as an economy booking class, but their system just picks it up as first class.

Obviously, I'm not letting this one go, but my question as far as BA is concerned is what would an F booking class on IB earn on BAEC? F is not listed as an IB booking class at all on either the IB website or the BA calculator. Does that mean this flight would earn 0TPs as there's no reference to it anywhere, or does anything booked into F, regardless of in which cabin you're ticketed, earn 210?

Thanks for any insights!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Odd. Iberia's website makes to reference to F Class at all

http://www.iberia.com/gb/faqs/fares/
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by pianotraveller
I've just booked a MAD-TLV return on IB via TravelUp in (what I thought was) business class. On receiving the confirmation email, I saw that the TLV-MAD sector had booked into F class and was described as "First", while the other sectors were booked into I class. Knowing that IB don't offer F, I called IB and TravelUp who both confirmed that the sector in question had in fact been ticketed in the economy cabin. TravelUp claim that IB use F as an economy booking class, but their system just picks it up as first class.

Obviously, I'm not letting this one go, but my question as far as BA is concerned is what would an F booking class on IB earn on BAEC? F is not listed as an IB booking class at all on either the IB website or the BA calculator. Does that mean this flight would earn 0TPs as there's no reference to it anywhere, or does anything booked into F, regardless of in which cabin you're ticketed, earn 210?

Thanks for any insights!
Finnair uses F as the booking class for point/cash upgrades from Y. The flights still earn at the rate of the original booking class.

I can't speak for IB, but I would find it highly unlikely that it would earn at a First class rate.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
I would find it highly unlikely that it would earn at a First class rate.
Me too - I just wondered if it was more likely that F wouldn't earn at all as there's no mention of it on either the IB or BA websites.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:59 pm

Rather curious... what are the other sectors (which you said booked into I class)? Do you know the actual fare construction, to know if the mystery leg is part of another fare component, or one of its own?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by pianotraveller
Me too - I just wondered if it was more likely that F wouldn't earn at all as there's no mention of it on either the IB or BA websites.
That is the rule of thumb: If the booking class does not appear on the relevant ba.com list for the marketing airline (IB in your case), it earns nothing in BAEC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.