Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's reimbursement offer leaving me short

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Isnt making a claim for £9 wasting the Court's time? My advice: let it go.
If BA randomly knocked £9 off EC261 claims saying it breached their policy it would be a handy cost saving.

Would you consider that acceptable practice that people should "let go"?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
No.

Whilst it may seem petty to go after £9, if enough people do it then BA may finally change this policy.
This is the bit I absolutely agree with. They may even do what easyJet do in this situation - even though they won't normally have to deal with this - which is to have a dormant side of their App which will actually book a hotel for you from their version of MMB. Now I gather it only works with tactical failures (not mass irrops) but still the point is that BA, if they wanted, could facilitate and reduce the cost of their hotels since everyone in this scenario is likely to be on walk-up rates, rather than haggling the various chains and saying "can you do that for £199 please". At the moment the Contact Centres can't book hotels, airports often are outsourced with no out of hours service and people often end up sleeping in airports. Even if they can't do the technology stuff, they could at least hand out cards with telephone numbers and the distress-rate corporate discount code on it.

The internal cost of handling a £9 MCOL claim is about £300. At some point someone will notice.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
If BA randomly knocked £9 off EC261 claims saying it breached their policy it would be a handy cost saving.

Would you consider that acceptable practice that people should "let go"?
I am not sure that a small claims court judge would look favorably upon such a small claim (although others will be better informed than me on this).

Whilst BA may be in the wrong here, I just don't think £9 is a battle worth fighting in this way. Not just the disproportionate court costs but all the paperwork, time and hassle too - how much do we value our leisure time?

So, are BA wrong here? It looks like they may be. Is it worth going to court for £9? I still say no, and let it go!

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The internal cost of handling a £9 MCOL claim is about £300. At some point someone will notice.
I wonder what the costs are to the court system? (let alone to the claimant)

Last edited by Flexible preferences; Aug 2, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I am not sure that a small claims court judge would look favorably upon such a small claim (although others will be better informed than me on this).

Whilst BA may be in the wrong here, I just don't think £9 is a battle worth fighting in this way. Not just the disproportionate court costs but all the paperwork, time and hassle too - how much do we value our leisure time?

So, are BA wrong here? It looks like they may be. Is it worth going to court for £9? I still say no, and let it go!

I wonder what the costs are to the court system? (let alone to the claimant)
Fees are paid to file, and those are also handed over to BA. The end result will be more then £9. It isn't OP who chose to fight for £9, BA does. OP tried to get them to simply pay as they should (there are no limits in the rules).

How you feel about that is irrelevant.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: QF, BA
Thanks for all the replies. After seeing the encouraging posts here yesterday afternoon, I filed a claim for the £9. Will report back how I get on.

I appreciate the suggestion on writing to legal but I saw that post too late. Either way, I think I've been reasonable to trying to resolve this through Customer Relations but their responses leave a lot to be desired.

In order of receipt:
Thanks for providing us with the receipts for your expenses. I'm only able to contribute £200.00 towards your hotel due to company guidelines we have in place.
I understand your frustration as you feel you should be refunded for all of your hotel costs. Unfortunately, we're unable to pay these costs as we have to follow company policies. These policies are put into place, so we're fair to all our passengers.

I appreciate you chose the hotel because of the reasonable cost and I'm sorry no help was given to you by our staff. You may be able to make a claim through your travel insurance. If you need documentation to support your claim, please reply to this email, by using the blue link below.
I understand your disappointment with not being able to fully refund you the £9.00. Please be assured we know we have a duty of care over you. However, we also have to follow strict company policies to be fair to all our passengers. I hope you understand that on this occasion we can't make an exception.
I appreciate you suggesting alternative methods of providing you with a refund of £9.00. Unfortunately, I'm unable to process these suggestions. As previously mentioned, we have to follow policy guidelines to be fair to all our passengers. I'm sorry for the disappointment caused.
As we’ve discussed previously, I understand your frustration as you feel you should be refunded for all of your hotel costs. Unfortunately, we're unable to pay these costs as we have to follow company policies. These policies are put into place, so we're fair to all our passengers. We've paid for all your expenses in line with our company polices. I'm glad you've received your refund and bank transfers. I'm sorry I can't offer any more compensation. I’m sure you’ll understand we must apply a consistent approach to situations like this, so we’re fair to all our customers. This means we won’t make an exception. I know this will be disappointing to hear since it’s clear you expected more from us.

I understand from your email, how strongly you feel about not being refunded £9.00 for your hotel expense. I want to assure you we’ve taken the matter seriously and done all we can to make changes within the company, so we can try to avoid this happening again.

If you have travel insurance, you may be able to make a claim through your policy and we will be happy to provide documentation to support this where possible. Please use the blue link below to let me know if this is something you need.

This latest one that tells me to stop emailing them (in more polite terms) really irked me.
Thanks for your most recent email. I’m sorry to hear you remain unhappy with our resolution to your complaint. I’ve reviewed all of the information you’ve given us with my manager, however our response will not change and we’re unable to respond to any further requests for a further refund about the issues you have raised.

I'm sorry this isn't the response you were hoping for but we would not share statistics, and information about other passengers under any circumstances. I can appreciate your disappointment as your flight was cancelled. However, we've met our obligations in full.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:14 am

Thanks for posting the emails you have received from BA customer disservices.
Pretty shoddy way to treat paying customers.
Glad you claimed for the £9 - it will cost them a lot more than £9 to deal with this. If more people took BA to task about their dubious ways of avoiding/shortchanging and downright lying to customers about their rights to duty of care and EU261 compensation then things might improve.
My prediction is that as soon as BA receive the notification of claim they will settle and send you what you are rightly owed. If they try to get you to backout by saying they will defend the claim then just hold firm as they will undoubtedly settle before this gets into court.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:22 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
"we've met our obligations in full"

That really is an outright lie. Company policies and guidelines do not have primacy over the law.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by joequimby
Thanks for all the replies. After seeing the encouraging posts here yesterday afternoon, I filed a claim for the £9. Will report back how I get on.

I appreciate the suggestion on writing to legal but I saw that post too late. Either way, I think I've been reasonable to trying to resolve this through Customer Relations but their responses leave a lot to be desired.

In order of receipt:

This latest one that tells me to stop emailing them (in more polite terms) really irked me.
Sad that BA chooses to lie and cheat like this. Presumably expecting the passenger not to follow it up because of the amount involved.

As stated above, knocking a few quid off every claim could save a bit of cash. What next - company policy is to pay only £1.50 for a drink and £5 for a meal?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Sad that BA chooses to lie and cheat like this. Presumably expecting the passenger not to follow it up because of the amount involved.

As stated above, knocking a few quid off every claim could save a bit of cash. What next - company policy is to pay only £1.50 for a drink and £5 for a meal?
Agreed.BA had the opportunity to arrange a hotel for the OP and failed to do so.This is entirely of their making.

Mrs rapidex was delayed out of BKK on a recent BKK-HEL-LHR flight.Finnair arranged her hotel in HEL,provided transport each was,dinner and soft drinks and then a choice of 600 Euro cash or an 800 Euro voucher.Other airlines can manage delays simply,but not BA.

I wish the OP well with his court case.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Good luck with your claim @joequimby

Let us know how you get on!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Was it right for BA to set a cap and if so, was it right not to inform OP (and others) in advance? The former does not get answered here, but the latter seems clear. OP interacted with staff which told him to find his own acommodations. Either an oral caution or better yet, a simple piece of paper would have helped. Items such as the HEX could have been covered by BA vouchers (for which BA pays a fraction of the individual passenger cost) and BA could provide a list of outlying areas where hotels in range are likely to be found (and the means of transport found).

In this situation, what is inherently unfair, although it did not occur for OP, is that many people transiting LHR have no familiarity with London. It is simply a place where they change planes. Whether GBP 200 is a little or a lot for a hotel room and whether the location of OP's room was the right or the wrong place to look is an interesting question for someone familiar with London. But, even a seasoned traveler who simply connects at LHR has know reason to know London and its hotel scene.
I agree with this... BA should either a) make the booking themselves, b) provide vouchers or c) provide info up front on any spend limit and advise on where to look for suitable hotels.

If they don't do any of those then IMO they should pay up in full as they have left it then to the customer to decide without any advise/guidance on what is acceptable/expected. It is no good not paying up after the event IMO if they don't pro-actively say what the limits are beforehand.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I agree with this... BA should either a) make the booking themselves, b) provide vouchers or c) provide info up front on any spend limit and advise on where to look for suitable hotels.

If they don't do any of those then IMO they should pay up in full as they have left it then to the customer to decide without any advise/guidance on what is acceptable/expected. It is no good not paying up after the event IMO if they don't pro-actively say what the limits are beforehand.
And, the BA limits are too low to get any decent hotel at some airports, especially at peak times or when there is major disruption.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Thanks for posting the emails you have received from BA customer disservices.
Pretty shoddy way to treat paying customers.
Glad you claimed for the £9 - it will cost them a lot more than £9 to deal with this. If more people took BA to task about their dubious ways of avoiding/shortchanging and downright lying to customers about their rights to duty of care and EU261 compensation then things might improve.
My prediction is that as soon as BA receive the notification of claim they will settle and send you what you are rightly owed. If they try to get you to backout by saying they will defend the claim then just hold firm as they will undoubtedly settle before this gets into court.
+1^ That was my experience from a TATL delay, following which I claimed 600 Euros for each of 3 pax 2 years ago. They faffed about when I made my claim, continued faffing when I sent an LBA, but stumped up promptly once I filed claim via MCOL.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick
The law does not state a limit nor allow airlines to arbitrarily allow one. BA's policy is therefore to disregard the law. Bizarre.
I personally do not find this helpful. The implication is that the law allows a total free for all. On that basis, next time I have a BA Paris flight cancelled, I shall book into the Ritz and expect BA to pick up the cost of the room (say 1,300 Euros plus food).

BA set a limit (and a reasonable limit to my mind) so that both parties can be comfortable with what is acceptable.

The law expects compensation that is commensurate with the loss sustained. It is not there to provide betterment to the inconvenienced party.

BA's approach is helpful in interpreting this; your comment is not.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I personally do not find this helpful. The implication is that the law allows a total free for all. On that basis, next time I have a BA Paris flight cancelled, I shall book into the Ritz and expect BA to pick up the cost of the room (say 1,300 Euros plus food).

BA set a limit (and a reasonable limit to my mind) so that both parties can be comfortable with what is acceptable.

The law expects compensation that is commensurate with the loss sustained. It is not there to provide betterment to the inconvenienced party.

BA's approach is helpful in interpreting this; your comment is not.
But if BA didn't communicate is limit in advance, and given there were no cheaper options, I don't see how BA would not be liable for the £209.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.