FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Tier Points on Malaysia question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1783612-tier-points-malaysia-question.html)

BA or bust Aug 9, 2016 3:48 am

Tier Points on Malaysia question

Quick Q on a possible MH flight (in Business). According to the BA TP calculator only Business lowest (R, I) and Business flexible (J, C, D) give tier points.

But I have done a dummy booking on MH and I cannot easily see reference to these letters of the alphabet. I see the fare basis as zbt12gb and the only reference to mileage or tier points I can see further down is the following statement:

18. HIP/MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS
18.1 note - general rule does not apply the higher intermediate point rule does not apply for stopovers.

So my question is... do all Business fares on MH credit tier points to BA?

darthlemsip Aug 9, 2016 3:51 am

I on MH doesn't as I recall - I flew Z earlier this year, which is their cheapest business bucket, and that did credit

KARFA Aug 9, 2016 4:01 am

This post on a blog may give you a method of finding boking classes on the MH webiste when booking.

http://flystaytravel.com/how-to-find...lines-flights/

As you have noticed, I booking class does not earn on MH.

For avios and TP earning in business on MH:
- J, C, D, and Z earn avios and TPs
- I earns nothing

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-avios/flights

corporate-wage-slave Aug 9, 2016 5:27 am

I few MH last week in Z, and I got the 40 TPs 2 days later, showing as Z/C in my account details, as you would expect.

Normally, but not always, the first letter of the fare basis is selling class, but I'd be reasonably confident that this would work for you.

Globaliser Aug 9, 2016 5:30 am

Originally Posted by BA or bust (Post 27037017)
Quick Q on a possible MH flight (in Business). According to the BA TP calculator only Business lowest (R, I) and Business flexible (J, C, D) give tier points.

I think you've been looking at the earning for BA flights, not MH flights. If you change the drop-down airline selector to Malaysian, you'll see the listing of JCDZ (only).

As it happens, I spent a little time yesterday updating the TP earning quick reference table - see the link in my signature.

scottnothing Aug 9, 2016 8:08 am

I just booked business class flights LHR-SYD (return) for £2167 and had the same query.

When you bring up the fare rules for the current business promo fares, they show as being “Z” class which, as others have noted above, are entitled to earn Tier Points and Avios. A dummy booking on Expedia.com also showed the same flights as being sold as “Z”. Fingers crossed we don’t face too much of a fight getting them to credit. Also looking forward to experiencing the new A330 fit out.

sharp5flat9 Aug 9, 2016 9:50 am

As a related rant, I flew a cheap Y sector on MH recently (KUL-BKK). I didn't expect it to credit but checked my account anyway. Nothing appeared so I filled in the claim form at ba.com to see what would happen. I received an automated response suggesting I'd already claimed for this flight, which was clearly not the case ... :confused:

So, I sent a general message via the website and received a slightly more personalised reply from someone in the UK:

Originally Posted by BA CS
"I have checked the details we have for your booking, but I'm sorry to say the fare you paid was for a booked class that does not earn Avios or Tier Points, so I am unable to credit your account.

When you fly with Malaysia Airlines only some fares will give you a booked class that earns Avios. You can see the list of classes which do earn Avios on ba.com. Your flight was booked in a deeply discounted class."

So, to cut a long story short, if you book a non-earning class it will probably just fail to appear in your account, causing you and BA unnecessary wasted time. It would make more sense to show a zero-earning entry, but hey, this is BA (or MH) IT we're talking about ;)

BA or bust Aug 9, 2016 1:58 pm

Thanks everybody for your responses. I am good to book now. ^

BA or bust

PS And yes Globaliser I was faffing about with the TP calculator and must have omitted to change from BA to MH when I copied what I saw as the applicable fare classes in my original post. Must try harder! ;)

Jonrross Aug 9, 2016 2:33 pm

I recently flew a return flight from KUL>CGK. I booked with MH, but the first leg was operated by Garuda as a codeshare. At the airport I managed to transfer to an earlier MH operated flight. I was pleased to see a few days later that I was awarded Avios and TP's for this sector. I was half expecting not to receive any as it was meant to be operated by Garuda. Its left me wondering whether I would have received them if I had taken the Garuda flight or whether I only got them as I ended up on an MH flight?

On a slightly different note, being on standby at KLIA wasn't the most pleasant experience from an immigration point of view. They told me to go to the standby desk at T-45 (I turned up at T-60 to be safe). After issuing the ticket it left very little time to clear immigration and get to the gate. There have been occasions at KLIA where I've had to queue upwards of 45 minutes to clear immigration alone.

mrvincent Aug 9, 2016 2:36 pm

When I bid for (and "won") an upgrade for a domestic MH flight, it sent me from one of the cheapest economy buckets to I class. I was awarded the points for my original ticket - 5TPs!!

Globalist Aug 9, 2016 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by mrvincent (Post 27039947)
When I bid for (and "won") an upgrade for a domestic MH flight, it sent me from one of the cheapest economy buckets to I class. I was awarded the points for my original ticket - 5TPs!!

That's technically how it is supposed to be. MH paid upgrades are not earning additional TPs which is clear in ther terms and conditions. You get the TPs for your original fare.

Hence I always book their Business promotions in Z. Who can beat 400tp sin-kul-Lhr in business for 1000 pounds.

Globalist

diamantaire Jan 27, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi quick question, searched around other threads did not find the answer in any of the other threads.

If I book malaysian :

dxb-kul-hkg in z class , will I get tp for dxb-kul ?
Cause mh does not fly to dxb (ek code share) , but baec flight calculator shows 140 tp for dxb-kul with mh as the airline.

ceej123 Jan 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Don’t think so. The only way you get TPs and Avios on EK is on a Qantas codeshare.

Globaliser Jan 27, 2018 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by diamantaire (Post 29347196)
dxb-kul-hkg in z class , will I get tp for dxb-kul ?
Cause mh does not fly to dxb (ek code share) , but baec flight calculator shows 140 tp for dxb-kul with mh as the airline.

According to the rules, it should be a no.

See the table at the bottom of this page: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights

The relevant line is Flight code under oneworld alliance partner; Flight operated by non-partner airline.

diamantaire Jan 30, 2018 3:32 am

k thanx I also assumed its a no , but baec shows it as 140 tp , shall call up ba