Search

Tier Points on Malaysia question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by diamantaire
but baec shows it as 140 tp , shall call up ba
That's seems likely to be because the calculator knows that MH sells a flight on this route, and calculates on that basis without knowing who is operating the flight. I would be surprised if the calculator is provided with all the information about who operates every route.

If you get a different answer from BAEC and then you do fly this MH ops EK flight, please do let us know what happens.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Please find mentioned below the response from BAEC:

Please find below your personal assistance reply from British Airways.

If you have any questions after reading our message, don't hesitate to reply to this email - or if your query is urgent you can telephone our Customer Support team:
http://www.ba.com/servicecentres/

Subject :Hello , Do MH4501/MH4502/MH4504/MH4505 earn any avios & tiers points . These fli... [Incident: 180131
Response By Email (Louise) (03/02/2018 03.36 PM (GMT))
Dear Mr Diamantaire
Thank you for your email. I'm afraid flights marketed by a One World partner but operated by a non-partner do not accrue Avios and Tier Points so regardless of the MH flight number any flight operated by EK would not earn you any points. Please do let me know if you have any further queries at this time.

Kind regards
Louise
British Airways Executive Club
Old May 5, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Does anybody know how quickly MH flights post to BAEC? Eg I believe QR is a weekly process. No big deal, it’s only a 5 pointer and a handful of Avios but after a week am wondering if it’s indicative of a problem or just a usual lag

thx
Old May 5, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Does anybody know how quickly MH flights post to BAEC? Eg I believe QR is a weekly process. No big deal, it’s only a 5 pointer and a handful of Avios but after a week am wondering if it’s indicative of a problem or just a usual lag

thx
My MH flights credited three days after the flight on both the outbound and inbound legs..
Old May 5, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold

thx
I have taken 8 MH flights so far this year - Avios and TPs for each have all posted within 3 days (much to my surprise) with no obvious pattern in terms of which day of the week they arrive.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by HarryKUK

My MH flights credited three days after the flight on both the outbound and inbound legs..
Originally Posted by GinFizz
I have taken 8 MH flights so far this year - Avios and TPs for each have all posted within 3 days (much to my surprise) with no obvious pattern in terms of which day of the week they arrive.
thanks both. Will put in a claim then.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:17 am

thanks both. Will put in a claim then.
or not... N class so I wouldn’t get anything, bit annoying that it doesn’t post the flight but show as zero (think I got that on some EI flights years ago)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Am I just being naïve … but is there a genuine reason why "I" fares on MH don't earn TPs or Avios? One might have thought that a business class fare would earn something! I just booked a trip on BA.com that involves a BKK-KUL segment - in I: now I feel that I am being 'robbed' of (around) 40 TPs and 750 Avios. Not a massive issue, but still! (Worth looking out for on longer MH trips, though!)

I've come across similar issues with some partner business class fares in other FFPs (such as Aeroflot in Flying Blue) but these are generally fixed once the various airlines' IT systems are reset after bucket letter changes. This one seems to have been around for at least a couple of years.

-- Henry
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Henry III
Am I just being naïve … but is there a genuine reason why "I" fares on MH don't earn TPs or Avios? One might have thought that a business class fare would earn something! I just booked a trip on BA.com that involves a BKK-KUL segment - in I: now I feel that I am being 'robbed' of (around) 40 TPs and 750 Avios. Not a massive issue, but still! (Worth looking out for on longer MH trips, though!)

I've come across similar issues with some partner business class fares in other FFPs (such as Aeroflot in Flying Blue) but these are generally fixed once the various airlines' IT systems are reset after bucket letter changes. This one seems to have been around for at least a couple of years.

-- Henry
May I know where did you find an I fare from MH? I seem to remember JCDZ fares only for MH business class.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:51 pm

Connections from BA I class is one instance where you can end up in I
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SLGO
May I know where did you find an I fare from MH? I seem to remember JCDZ fares only for MH business class.
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Connections from BA I class is one instance where you can end up in I
Originally Posted by Henry III
Am I just being naïve … but is there a genuine reason why "I" fares on MH don't earn TPs or Avios?
Well, there is a genuine reason, but not necessarily a genuine good reason .... MH uses the "I" fare class internally on its own tickets for upgrades to business using its own Enrich program.

As sammyg901 mentions above, on a BA ticket (125- ticket number) where there is a connection to a MH flight (e.g.a ticket for LHR-KUL with LHR-SIN (on BA) then SIN-KUL (on MH) the BA reservation system books the MH ticket in the same fare class as the BA fare. So an I-fare will book into "I" on the MH flight (and a D-fare will book into "D" - so you would get TPs/Avios for that). This appears to be in the booking class table (with e.g. "I required" for a BA I-fare for MH flights, though I confess I am never that confident about how to interpret the booking class rules).
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by GinFizz
Well, there is a genuine reason, but not necessarily a genuine good reason .... MH uses the "I" fare class internally on its own tickets for upgrades to business using its own Enrich program.

As sammyg901 mentions above, on a BA ticket (125- ticket number) where there is a connection to a MH flight (e.g.a ticket for LHR-KUL with LHR-SIN (on BA) then SIN-KUL (on MH) the BA reservation system books the MH ticket in the same fare class as the BA fare. So an I-fare will book into "I" on the MH flight (and a D-fare will book into "D" - so you would get TPs/Avios for that). This appears to be in the booking class table (with e.g. "I required" for a BA I-fare for MH flights, though I confess I am never that confident about how to interpret the booking class rules).
I have only seem "I" class fares on upgrades and on non BA flight number domestic connections on MH.
Upgrades and award tickets don't earn points, but I was disappointed that on my business class connection LHR-KUL-JHB I did not get the 40 points on my (paid) MH connection.

Now it seems that MH offers limited Business class seats on those flights as "I" class, if that bucket is sold out you get a Y class fare earning 20 points... It wont give you the option to connect by paying a higher fare for J, C, D or Z.

I don't know if it an agreement issue between BA and MH, but any normal thinking person would think a paid connection would be in J, C, D or Z class.
I did do a claim but it was rejected, I was thinking to explain the issue to BA, but the mere thought of trying made me lose the will to live.

Globalist
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by SLGO

It is part of an itinerary booked on the BA website, connecting to an onward BA flight.

-- Henry

PS: This new 'improved' (that is rubbish) FT website seems to have taken away my ability to multi-quote posts!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes indeed, I suspect this is more incompetence than bad will but it is quite incredible that it has not changed for so long. My sense is that the revenue team people who work out fare rules have not quite realised that there is a world beyond BA and that for MH, I is not actually a revenue class so it seems normal to them to ask for that when an MH flight is selected as part of a BA I class fare (note that using the same bucket letters is neither a requirement nor a universal practice - for instance, BA no full well not to impose K class when you book a Y connection to a T fare on MH or CX or AA even though this is what it asks on BA connections to the same fare). Conversely, the BAEC people are not bothering to find out that I is sold as paid class when connecting to a BA I fare so not trying to discuss this with MH.

And passengers are just stuck in the middle...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.