Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Colleagues not taking their first class seats

Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam Silver, BA Bronze

Odd scenario...

We are a group of 6 people. 2of the guys are not taking their flight home (one moved to another day, one just booked another flight but has for some reason checkedin) only the 3 F tickets are on one booking though

The others are one in F, one in C and one in wtp.
Is there any advice or mileage in asking for opups to their (paid for!) Seats ?

Boarding in 4 hours so any advice welcome !

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by dukesy; Oct 11, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL
No, I'm afraid not. If the flight is overbooked and op ups are required, this will be decided by BA. If the flight is not full, the seats vacated by your colleagues will remain vacant.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
odds on an op-up - virtually zero. These seats are not for your mates to hand over to anyone else once they have failed to check in / or moved to another flight they are no longer their seats.

if BA needs to do op-ups they have an algorythm that makes the decison on who gets them. They won't upgrade just because the seats are now empty
dukesy likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice

I thought this might be the case but thought it was worth asking 😁
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
its not paid for anymore after they changed dates.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA will re-open those seats and re-allocate / re-sell / accommodate new customers changing flights / accommodate operationally necessary upgrades etc. as they see fit

My wife once had to cancel a trip with me at very short notice (she was due to join for a work event) - her (former) Club World seat was occupied by someone else when I got on board, even though we had only called through the cancellation whilst I was heading to the airport less than 2 hours before. BA won't hang around with this.

Bad luck...
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dukesy
2 of the guys are not taking their flight home (one moved to another day, one just booked another flight but has for some reason checkedin)
Do you mean they just did a no-show, and booked a completely separate one-way ticket? I'd like to know which corporate travel policy allows that!

Obviously if they've used their existing booking and changed/cancelled it, there isn't such a thing as "their seat" anymore...
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
They were travelling First. I don't think money was an issue for this person/company.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Their seat" does not exist, whatever the reason. Whether the two changed their tickets or simply no showed, once they do not occupy the seat by the deadline, it is gone and not theirs to assign.
gms likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Absolute not.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Would this be a different situation if this was one PNR?

And OP please explain the collegiate disparity in the travel classes? 😊
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
No. Once a passenger fails to check-in by the deadline, or once a checked-in passenger fails to board, the seat is the airline's to re-use.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It wouldn't make a difference if one PNR and some had dropped out from travelling. Particularly at LHR T5, since 34 minutes before departure the computer would know that the people concerned were not in the building and would be merrily assigning seats based on BA's priorities, rather than the priorities of those remaining on the PNR.

Either way, you best cancel and potentially get some of the taxes back.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

And OP please explain the collegiate disparity in the travel classes? 😊
No. A PNR is simply a passenger record. Every passenger has his own ticket and therefore his own contract with the carrier. The lone exception are 2-4-1 and other similar deals where one passenger is an "appendage" of the other.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:54 am
Original Poster

OK.. Apologies for delayed response , but have been travelling !

So, this is a more in depth breakdown and what the outcome was !

3 people from one company booked in F some time ago (Lets call them X, Y and Z), a few months later another colleague joined them on a seperate booking but in C, (as prices had leapt!)

Z (the owner of the company) decided to simply book another ticket to allow him to go play golf in Florida or somewhere), and as far as he was concerned "Throw away" his return. That left the 2 guys in F, and once in C.

Meanwhile I was in a separate booking (different company!) in WTP.. The question would have been better phrased as "Can we ask to move the C passenger up to the now spare F seat, and IF SO, move the WTP to the now vacant C?"

I know this was always a leap, but the fact that the owner had already CHECKED IN and had a F Boarding pass (that he had forwarded to his colleague in C) made us wonder how they could reallocate him trtavelliong with Hand luggage only, as he could techincially just turn up at the gate!).

The outcome was exactly as you guys expected. NO op ups, F seat went to someone else !

I DID manage 6 hours sleep on way back though, so there is that !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.