Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA and Shanghai 144-hour Transit Without Visa - any problems?

Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:39 am
Original Poster

As is widely covered in the 'Transit Without Visa' thread, it's acceptable to book travel of the form LHR-PVG(144hrs)-HKG(1hr)-LHR (or swapping around HKG/PVG) to visit Shanghai under the Visa Free rules. (Essentially, booking a ticket with the outbound or return routed via HKG, as BA is apt to offer anyway).

Although I'm clear this is acceptable with the Chinese authorities, would this be likely to raise any eyebrows at the Visa Check desk at T5, or are they used to it? Just wondering how much extra time to allow concerning BA in particular, etc.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Done this, and several variations, many times. BA are fully aware of this, and generally check your onwards travel documents, other times seem happy for you to just say "I've got a connecting flight". BA - certainly at London - are very much familiar with this very handy arrangement for CTU, PVG and PEK. And HKG is specifically fine as the onward travel point too. Allow 5 minutes extra on what you would allow for HKG direct.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
No problems at all. Have done on several airlines, and as long as you are going to a third country (so LHR-PVG-MAN would not be permitted, but LHR-PVG-HKG-MAN is fine). And for this purpose Macau and HK are third countries.

May need to check the exact wording of the rules if you are planning to be very close to 144hrs. I think the count actually starts midnight the day after you arrive. So say you arrive day 0 at 3pm then the clock only starts ticking at 00.00 on day 1, which effectively means 144hrs+part of a day.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive answer!

I did search the TWOV thread, and it sounded like other airlines are a little more dubious about the arrangements - glad BA are up to speed.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I can confirm it is exactly as CWS stated. (Of course!)

I have done this several times, on through tickets as well as on separate bookings. And, it is 3 whole days, so you can stay up until midnight on the 3rd day following your arrival. All airlines are well aware of it and it is a very commonly used facility. Getting a Chinese visa, especially if required quickly, is often a PITA, especially of you are not in your home country at the time.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CD747
As is widely covered in the 'Transit Without Visa' thread, it's acceptable to book travel of the form LHR-PVG(144hrs)-HKG(1hr)-LHR (or swapping around HKG/PVG) to visit Shanghai under the Visa Free rules. (Essentially, booking a ticket with the outbound or return routed via HKG, as BA is apt to offer anyway).

Although I'm clear this is acceptable with the Chinese authorities, would this be likely to raise any eyebrows at the Visa Check desk at T5, or are they used to it? Just wondering how much extra time to allow concerning BA in particular, etc.

Thanks!
Me: "Hi, can you do the visa check for me for my flight to China?"
BA: "Yes, where is the visa?"
Me: "Actually I'm doing the 72 hour thing, my onward flight is on a separate ticket to---"
BA: "Approved."

Must be my trustworthy face. JAL wanted the onward ticket number.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by CD747

Thanks!
Curious: Would LHR-HKG-PVG-LHR also be acceptable for the 144hr transit rule in Shanghai?

I've never done it, but it looks as though my visa may fail to materialise in time and, therefore, am looking into this as an option.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Curious: Would LHR-HKG-PVG-LHR also be acceptable for the 144hr transit rule in Shanghai?
That looks OK to me.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Either routing (LHR PVG HKG LHR or LHR HKG PVG LHR) will be equaly fine for the 144 HR TWOV (assuming you have a passport from a suitable country). As would LHR PVG HKG PVG LHR.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Either routing (LHR PVG HKG LHR or LHR HKG PVG LHR) will be equaly fine for the 144 HR TWOV (assuming you have a passport from a suitable country). As would LHR PVG HKG PVG LHR.
Yeah, it's a blank UK passport, barely a week old, so no issues with HKG entry.

Upon entry do they enquire about previous visas, etc? Because if I can't get this visa issued to this passport on time, I'm considering the LHR-HKG-PVG-LHR option...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Yeah, it's a blank UK passport, barely a week old, so no issues with HKG entry.

Upon entry do they enquire about previous visas, etc? Because if I can't get this visa issued to this passport on time, I'm considering the LHR-HKG-PVG-LHR option...
Not in my experience, with a mix of visas, 24 and 144 hour TWOVs, scattered over multiple passports, they are more likely to ring your hotel to check you have a reservation. But if you are a UK national you should get a China visa in three to four days. If handed in tomorrow, it should be available on Tuesday, so long as you do in person in London, Manchester or Edinburgh. It's just a form filling exercise and entry tax, as far as I can tell.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GinFizz
True, but what wouldn't be allowed is to connect through HKG in both directions.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not in my experience, with a mix of visas, 24 and 144 hour TWOVs, scattered over multiple passports, they are more likely to ring your hotel to check you have a reservation. But if you are a UK national you should get a China visa in three to four days. If handed in tomorrow, it should be available on Tuesday, so long as you do in person in London, Manchester or Edinburgh. It's just a form filling exercise and entry tax, as far as I can tell.
They almost never have appointments at the China Visa Centre; they're notoriously s..tty with people, too, and I dislike their attitude.

I've previously had J2 visas is the issue I have with China mainland. It seems that no other type will be awarded. But with my new blank passport I may have a workaround with a 144hr TWOV, as there's no paperwork in the document.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
True, but what wouldn't be allowed is to connect through HKG in both directions.
That's pretty critical to know, just in case that's what the TA offers (as it'll be cheaper, no doubt)...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Indeed. You have to be transiting between two countries so Country A->China->Country B. If you were connecting both ways via HKG you would be doing Country A->China->Country A which wouldn't work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.