Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA and Shanghai 144-hour Transit Without Visa - any problems?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Shanghai 144-hour Transit Without Visa - any problems?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Yeah, it's a blank UK passport, barely a week old, so no issues with HKG entry.

Upon entry do they enquire about previous visas, etc? Because if I can't get this visa issued to this passport on time, I'm considering the LHR-HKG-PVG-LHR option...
my TWOV in CAN with a brand new passport (72 hours then flight to HKG) went through without any issues.
However, I had issues in Shenzhen VOA when I was asked for the old passport, which I did not take with me on the trip, so it may prove useful to take the old one in case immigration officials ask for it.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
Hi all,

Received some good advice recently on the 144 hour TWOV provisions however my google searches have brought me to this thread.

i would hugely appreciate any feedback from others who have experience.

Flying LHR to PVG with a separate booking to SYD 2 days later.

1) Given BA will not know about my separate booking, I assume we may encounter some difficulty checking in 24 hours ahead and may have to do this at the airport?

2) I have seen from some searches that people reference going to the BA ‘visa check’ desk at LHR - if I am TWOV, why would I do this? Or could I still have an issue at boarding if I don’t?

Apologies for the questions on this but I seem to come across something else each time!

thanks again.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by thepinkponce
Hi all,

Received some good advice recently on the 144 hour TWOV provisions however my google searches have brought me to this thread.

i would hugely appreciate any feedback from others who have experience.

Flying LHR to PVG with a separate booking to SYD 2 days later.

1) Given BA will not know about my separate booking, I assume we may encounter some difficulty checking in 24 hours ahead and may have to do this at the airport?

2) I have seen from some searches that people reference going to the BA ‘visa check’ desk at LHR - if I am TWOV, why would I do this? Or could I still have an issue at boarding if I don’t?

Apologies for the questions on this but I seem to come across something else each time!

thanks again.
Visa check will verify that you qualify for the TWOV before allowing you to board the flight to PVG. Bring a printout of your onward ticket to SYD, which the Chinese authorities will also require when you land at PVG.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:03 am

Now Understood - thanks for that.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Indeed. You have to be transiting between two countries so Country A->China->Country B. If you were connecting both ways via HKG you would be doing Country A->China->Country A which wouldn't work.
Hong Kong is not part of mainland China so is a 3rd country and so you can transit through HKG.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The official Chinese line is something like "separate immigration rules" for the third country. Wouldn't want to admit HK is too separate (nor Macau)

But anyway, HK counts which is very convenient.

Last edited by flatlander; Jan 21, 2019 at 3:20 am Reason: INCEU60 is not as generous as I thought :(
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ubiest

Visa check will verify that you qualify for the TWOV before allowing you to board the flight to PVG. Bring a printout of your onward ticket to SYD, which the Chinese authorities will also require when you land at PVG.
Chinese immigration may also ask to see a copy of your hotel reservation so it is wise to bring printouts of all travel and accomodation confirmations. Apart from that I find the authorites efficient and friendly.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by xxxxx
Hong Kong is not part of mainland China so is a 3rd country and so you can transit through HKG.
I think you have misunderstood the context of my post. What I was replying to was a comment saying "what wouldn't be allowed is to connect through HKG in both directions." so doing something like LHR-HKG-PVG-HKG-LHR. As you are not transiting China on to a third country in that instance you would not be able to use TWOV on such an itinerary.
Calchas likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer

Chinese immigration may also ask to see a copy of your hotel reservation so it is wise to bring printouts of all travel and accomodation confirmations. Apart from that I find the authorites efficient and friendly.
Yes, I have noted that. Thank you.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:21 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thepinkponce
In T5 at least I'm pretty sure you can't even get through security until you've had your visa check done. You would just be rejected and sent back to the check-in/visa check desks.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

In Beijing, immigration needed exact hotel address and phone number. They weren't bothered about paper/printed confirmation, just that we were able to show the booking ref and flight number for depating.

We flew MH (KUL-PEK) and they took about 15 mins to confirm that we were eligible for TWOV. Hopefully BA are deal with British/EU passports more often than Malaysian.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Just a heads up, one of the travel bloggers Josh Cahill was refused entry to China under the TWOV as a hotel on his previous visit hadn’t registered his stay or something, it seemed that the immigration and operating carrier were passing the buck and nobody seemed to know what to do before As his onward flight with another air,I’ve was in 5 days.

After overnight on the seats at the airport he was returned to his origin and bought another ticket on a separate carrier to return to China for his onward flight... Whilst the situation didn’t seem pleasant it could have been a lot worse in other countries and the footage is a little melodramatic IMO but if you want to see you can search for it on You Tube.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:04 am

Many thanks for these additional replies.

I’m actually doing two separate TWOV’s in the space of 3 weeks, with a separate ticket to SYD nested in between. PVG and the PEK either side. I’ll be sure to check that the first hotel register my stay after the above message.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
We are doing LHR-PVG PVG-HKG and LHR-PVG PVG-KUL respectively on Thursday so if I find a moment at the weekend I will report back
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Worth perhaps noting the title of this thread refers to a "144 hour visa" but the content is for Transit Without Visa

One could seriously confuse people, at airport and in China, if one seems to be trying to get a visa on arrival.
moondog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.