Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F 789 or 388

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
F 789 or 388

I have flown F a few times LHR-SFO on the 380 and I really like the cabin and seat. I have the option to fly F to SJC on the 789 (1K and 2K both available) which I have not done or stick with the well tried and tested 380.

I need to be in Mountain View so SJC is a much closer and cheaper Uber ride but SFO arrived 1:10 earlier so time wise will probably work out at a similar hotel arrival time.

What would you do? Especially anyone who has experienced F on both.

Cheers
economyman
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
I'd say do the 789 seeing as you've done 388 several times. I've only done F on 380 & 77W so can't give you concrete advice however.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Definitely try the 789 if you haven't had chance to yet and have done the 380 a few times already.

I've only done the 789 once in F so don't have much to go on. There were a lot of things I liked about it but overall I think I prefer the 380. The service was a bit of a shambles when I tried the 789 so I want to try it again to see whether with a good service, I come away feeling any differently.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
Can I lower the bar by 2 levels and ask exactly the same question but for someone travelling WTP ?

There's a world of difference flying on A380 vs 777 - I've never been on a 789 before, and would like to know how it compares on my favourite J & K seats
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Didn't BA skimp on the toilet to passenger ratio on the 787 F cabin?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)
Originally Posted by creampuff
Given the continued food and drink enhancements, perhaps BA feel that there will be less need for toilet usage...
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by avon75
Can I lower the bar by 2 levels and ask exactly the same question but for someone travelling WTP ?

There's a world of difference flying on A380 vs 777 - I've never been on a 789 before, and would like to know how it compares on my favourite J & K seats
Have been in WTP in both and have no clear preference - obviously both have the latest WTP product which is a big improvement; 787 being a smaller plane perhaps has better ambiance but not much in it
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
Originally Posted by creampuff
Only slightly - it's 1:8 rather than 1:7 usually seen.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I think the seat on the 789 is better than the 388 so long as you don't need the "buddy seat". With regard to the toilet ratio being 1:8 which is slightly worse than on other planes, the situation is made worse by the fact that if you do have to wait you can't help but be in the way of the crew in the cramped galley area.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by peterrabbit
Actually, its one toilet for eight F seats + cockpit crew + cabin crew in the forward galley.

Having two toilets means that if one person requires long use of the toilet (don't ask why) the other toilet is still servicing people.

Definitely not flying F on a A787-900 for this reason. Shows that BA just do not care about providing F passengers with the level of comfort and luxury that they have paid for, either with cash or Avios.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by peterrabbit
Plus the flight crew and at least 2 of the cabin crew which makes it 1:12 versus 1:9.

Also, the probability of finding 100% of the F loos engaged is significantly greater on the 789, especially at peak times.

Edited to add: Ah, beaten to it by KenJohn!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:21 am

In reality, the toilet ratio is worse than the 1:8 ratio as the flight crew and the cabin crew serving the F cabin also use the F toilet which is in a cramped location. Effective ratio is therefore something like 1:12 or 13.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I'd really not make a decision based on people per toilet ratio

It's a cracking aircraft and a lovely seat. Absolutely go for it. The very worst might happen; you'll need to walk a few feet and use one of the J toilets
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
well I was thinking the same thing, is there much to pick between the two so have booked to go out to SJC in F and then back from SFO in F for New Year in Vegas all thanks to an Amex 241 Ill to a TR once its done!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
I actually flew back from SJC in F on Friday. It was a great flight. Didn't feel quite as "special" as on the 388, to be honest, but that may just be because the lounge at SJC is a lot less nice than the QF lounge at LAX.

There was a bit of a queue for the toilet at peaks times, but the seat is terrific. The 388 is more private, because the walls are higher - it feels more like your own little room. It was perfectly nice on the 789, but felt more like a seat with partitions, as it really is.

However, the biggest deciding factor for me is the flight time: at SFO, the early flight is only 30 minutes after the Emriates 388 departs, so security, which as I'm sure you know isn't great at the best of times, is terrible. The later flight out of SFO is much better. I forget which one of the two the 388 serves, but if it's the early one, I'd definitely go from SJC to avoid the queues at SFO. If the 388 is the late flight from SFO, then flip a coin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.