Search

Flight connections T5 (30th July)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Flight connections T5 (30th July)

Wow!

This might be old news for people who connect through T5 but this morning the line leading to the boarding pass scan for flight connections was horrendous...thank goodness I was fast track. They actually had people queueing along the wall near the escalators from the transit. Once you cleared that queue, you then joined another queue, snaking up to flight connection desk(easily 200+ people).

Once past that, they were not allowing non-fast track people to take the escalator up to security but instead we're sending them around the back of the escalator (was all signed and escalator, although working was ordered off. I'm not sure where that would lead to, unless they were double backing to the fast track escalator in a big circle which didn't seem to be the case.

Security, whilst busy, flowed fairly quickly, but I'd be frustrated if I had to stand in what looked like a good 30 min line just to have my boarding pass scanned.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you can, go landside and aviod it.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by silonic
Once past that, they were not allowing non-fast track people to take the escalator up to security but instead we're sending them around the back of the escalator (was all signed and escalator, although working was ordered off. I'm not sure where that would lead to, unless they were double backing to the fast track escalator in a big circle which didn't seem to be the case.

Security, whilst busy, flowed fairly quickly, but I'd be frustrated if I had to stand in what looked like a good 30 min line just to have my boarding pass scanned.
They would have been sent to South Security, rather than North, which is a new-ish arrangement. If you go to the furthest channel there, then it's often faster than North Fast Track, though of course you can't see that. Though today is one of the busiest days of T5's history, Friday was the busiest, I really doubt anyone was waiting 30 minutes. People often feel that it looks like that but yesterday no one waited more than 19 minutes in security (well, excepting Secondary checks, I guess but that's largely self inflicted). But KARFA is right, no one with e-gate access should do this route anyway, as is often pointed out here and in KARFA's guide.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:05 am

I'm connecting through LHR on my first TP run/holiday ex-dub to HNL (dub-Lhr-jfk-phx-hnl / Koa-lax / lax-bos-lhr-dub. thank you FT ) I think we only have 1h15 to connect.
Any words of wisdom if things are no better by the time we arrive at 4pm? We are (or will be) fast track, faster to go landside?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rosso
I'm connecting through LHR on my first TP run/holiday ex-dub to HNL (dub-Lhr-jfk-phx-hnl / Koa-lax / lax-bos-lhr-dub. thank you FT ) I think we only have 1h15 to connect.
Any words of wisdom if things are no better by the time we arrive at 4pm? We are (or will be) fast track, faster to go landside?
You're coming in from DUB so it's a no brainer: go landside. The reason being you have a fast track to landside down a corridor in the middle of T5 that takes you at the back - and avoiding - the UK Border to baggage reclaim. You will be landside in 5 minutes with no passport checks. Your only decision, if you arrive on time, is whether to go via South security airside, which is nearer, or North, which is faster but further.

The only nuance here is that if DUB is quite late, and you are get to T5 with under an hour to go, maybe you should consider airside flight connections since the conformance may be lower than 35 minutes, which is hardcoded if landside, variable if airside. Being a JFK departure, and therefore normally from T5B, then that's unlikely, T5B will be 35 minutes. Personally I'd still go landside but I make a point of not 'formally' recommending going landside if that close to departure.

Before going into security landside, just go to the visa check desk - or any empty desk - to get your passport scanned if going to USA. Doesn't apply to all destinations, and they may do it anyway at DUB but this won't take long to do, and I always do it just in case.

[If you need a visa for the Common Travel Area then it gets more complex, but USA, EEA, Swiss, Japan, HK, most Commonwealth countries are fine].
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Friday morning: I landed from AA100 (JFK) at T3 and from deplaning, bus, flight connections, security and getting to Galleries First T5 took 50 minutes. Suppose we were lucky as there was a bus waiting at T3, but we spent close to 25 minutes queuing at security
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Gold
Rosso

Are you on the 15:20 DUB flight to LHR as I am on this too.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I did an international flight connection today at 13:00, it was the best experience I've ever had - 8 minutes from de-planing (as our American friends are often fond of calling it) to arrival in the CCR ^

Why can't it be like this all the time??!!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They would have been sent to South Security, rather than North, which is a new-ish arrangement. If you go to the furthest channel there, then it's often faster than North Fast Track, though of course you can't see that. Though today is one of the busiest days of T5's history, Friday was the busiest, I really doubt anyone was waiting 30 minutes. People often feel that it looks like that but yesterday no one waited more than 19 minutes in security (well, excepting Secondary checks, I guess but that's largely self inflicted). But KARFA is right, no one with e-gate access should do this route anyway, as is often pointed out here and in KARFA's guide.
From wheels down at roughly A18, through fast track connections and security and back to the magic door took exactly 20 minutes just now. It did look busy mind you. I just did a CPH b2b and it was simplicity itself.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Dubliner1
Are you on the 15:20 DUB flight to LHR as I am on this too.
Yes indeed, Mrs Rosso and I were on that flight. Sat in GC south now waiting for the delayed 18.05 to JFK. Where are you heading?

I'm in a white t-shirt and jeans, if you spot me, say hello.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Gold
Alas but I am in the First lounge.

I took the Flight transfer route and it was quick, that is, under 10 minutes from the plane to the lounge.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL
Yes indeed, Mrs Rosso and I were on that flight. Sat in GC south now waiting for the delayed 18.05 to JFK. Where are you heading?
I'm in a white t-shirt and jeans, if you spot me, say hello.
I am on this too, about to head to C. Will look out for you!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:50 am

Yes do.
Probably belongs in the celeb thread but Bradley Whitford is up here on upper deck J.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Yes do.
Probably belongs in the celeb thread but Bradley Whitford is up here on upper deck J.
He's fantastic😊
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:41 pm

Who is Bradley Whitford? Perhaps a tennis player?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.