Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-Dub flight change

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Ex-Dub flight change

I hastily booked an ex-DUB trip to LAS via LHR in the last sale. I was a bit rushed doing it as I was booking on my mobile from a train and the signal on my phone was dropping all the time.

I currently have a connection time at LHR of 2hr 10min, and will need to go from T5 to T3. It would really mess up our plans if we missed the connection as we have to go to a wedding the next day. I know BA would put us on the next flight, but I think we are on the last one out that day (16:40)

In hindsight I wish I had gone for the earlier DUB-LHR flight which would give a connection of 3hr 30min, I had a look at changing online and the fee (Euro 300) was more than the cost of a new CE ticket. What would be the chance of BA changing my ticket if I called up as it reduces the chance of them having to cover the costs if our DUB flight is delayed (all one PNR) ?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
No chance of them changing it for free if you call... It's over Minimum Connection Time.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you called? Zero.

It is possible to ask when you get to DUB as noted in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-dub-lhr.html, but again the answer will likely be no.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:03 am

If you want additional buffer (connection) time, then you'll have to pay the change fee.

You can arrive early at DUB as ask to be put on an earlier service, but that is certainly not guaranteed, especially if it is busy/full.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the responses, it's my first ex-eu and lesson learnt. Will stick to what I have and hope there are no delays.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by jphjph
Thanks all for the responses, it's my first ex-eu and lesson learnt. Will stick to what I have and hope there are no delays.
With 2hr 10mins connection you would have to be really unlucky to miss the next flight. Yes, we have seen scenes depicting a third-world operation at LHR recently, however, it has improved over the last week to 10 days in my experience.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rossmacd
With 2hr 10mins connection you would have to be really unlucky to miss the next flight. Yes, we have seen scenes depicting a third-world operation at LHR recently, however, it has improved over the last week to 10 days in my experience.
My concern was more a potential delay to the Dub-Lhr flight, but hopefully will be fine.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by jphjph
My concern was more a potential delay to the Dub-Lhr flight, but hopefully will be fine.
Keep an eye on any creeping delays on the day so you can be proactive if needs be. And no harm having any back-up routes thought through - e.g. flight to LAX and a short hop the following morning
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I think you'll be fine - the BA later flight often leaves late - however this still may not help if DUB was very late. Anyway, your best bet is be prepared with plans B & C to hand. There will still be several flights that day after this time to JFK where you can hop to LAS one way or another, late evening or early the next day. You will be able to get the re-route to suit (as long as there's space!)
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
And, don't forget in your back up plans that, if the flight from DUB is delayed, you could go from DUB to USA on EI and connect there - you don't have to do it through LHR.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
OP - as others have pointed out, you should be ok, although throwing in the T5 to T3 transfer does cut down on your margin for error.
Given the flight times you mentioned - I would assume you are on the BA835 from DUB to LHR. The inbound for that flight (BA834) is on its 2nd flight of the day after arriving from another destination after an overnight stop (I'm afraid I could find no real pattern after observing the aircraft that operates BA834/835 night stopping in Glasgow, Oslo, Toulouse and I think a German airport over the period of a week). The main point being with your flight being only the 3rd of the day - delays are a little less likely (or should be minimised!). If you do have a real issue with a cancelation or delay at Dublin, as note above, you could see about getting onto the 3pm direct to LAX with EI depending on your day of travel as this is not yet a daily service) or the later afternoon EI JFK flight (is daily). If you get to LHR but will miss your flight, unfortunately you will have probably missed all the West Coast flights for that day, so JFK on a 5/6/7/8pm outbound is your next option.
Perhaps have a few back up options in mind if the worst happens and fingers crossed all goes according to plan!

Pilot37
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you are slightly late there is a connection via JFK: AA 107 to JFK dep 17:15 then AA 2659 arriving LAS 00:11 although it is quite short connection in JFK (1h20m). I suggest talking to BA before going to T3 to ensure you are protected onto that, otherwise stay in T5 and talk to them about further options.

If you are more delayed, try to get yourselves onwards to the USA the same day, you may end up with a night stop in the eastern USA. There are many transatlantic options, get yourselves onto the next ones.

I would strongly recommend bringing the wedding clothes and a couple of days other clothes as carry on (even if you are not entirely HBO) because if this goes pear shaped on you, your bags may not follow you very quickly.

Overall, you should be alright, try not to stress too much
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
While MCT is 90 minutes, You can do that T5-T3 in about 45 minutes without particularly rushing. The airlines build in their "delay before" as they do not want lots of people missing connections. MCT does not mean this is the quickest you can get between the terminals

So with a 2hour 10 minute connection you should be ok even with a 90 minute delay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.