Bag drop at LCY - how early?

Old Jul 25, 16, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: LAN Comodoro, Hilton Gold
Bag drop at LCY - how early?

Hello everyone.
A friend of mine is travelling to TXL from LCY this week. Because of some transport issues, he will be at LCY as early as 3h before departure. Ideally, he'd drop his luggage, and come back to the airport at a more reasonable time. Would bag drop be open at that point, or will he have to wait until T-2h? He can obviously do OLCI beforehand.

Also, it appears LCY has the facility of self bag-drop. Would that work in this case?
Old Jul 25, 16, 7:58 am

Hi XmaX,

Bag Drop seems to only be open from two hours before departure. I go through LCY a lot and I've seen many passenger turned away for being too early. It's a small airport, so i suppose they really don't have anywhere for the bags to "wait" after bag drop.

Here's the detail confirming that on the LCY website: https://www.londoncityairport.com/tr.../page/check-in
Old Jul 25, 16, 8:15 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
The airport website seems to be pretty insistent that passengers can only check-in from 2 hours ahead.

Leave the bag at their left luggage facility if it's a big issue.
Old Jul 25, 16, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I was turned away 2 1/2 hours prior to departure and told to come back. This is regardless of whatever the colour of your shiny bag tag.

The earlier post is correct that it is lack of room that is the driving force.
Old Jul 25, 16, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Accor Sil, Black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
re "self-bag drop" facility, you can print luggage tags from one of the machines (as I did this morning given the queues were stupendous (though the Flybe ones were doubly worse from the BA ones) but you then need to go to a desk to drop the bag (and they want your BP and a form of ID). So it's not a 'self drop' facility as LH used to have many moons ago where you dropped the bag at a machine without human contact but more realistically a 'self tag' machine which requires human interaction (cue queue for a desk), and ID.
Old Jul 25, 16, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, KL FB Ivory, SK EB Basic, FI Saga, DY Reward, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Pref
Does LCY even have left luggage? Pertinent question for me since I'm flying LCY-AMS in two weeks' time and need somewhere to dump my bag for about 6 hours (I've always got the folks round the corner, but wouldn't want to impose).

Otherwise, I saw that Westfield in Stratford has a "cloakroom" service which was where I was planning to dump mine then hop on the Docklands to LCY.
Old Jul 25, 16, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: LAN Comodoro, Hilton Gold
Thanks for all the answers, I'll tell my friend to take his time and arrive as late as possible.
Originally Posted by chris1979 View Post
re "self-bag drop" facility, you can print luggage tags from one of the machines (as I did this morning given the queues were stupendous (though the Flybe ones were doubly worse from the BA ones) but you then need to go to a desk to drop the bag (and they want your BP and a form of ID). So it's not a 'self drop' facility as LH used to have many moons ago where you dropped the bag at a machine without human contact but more realistically a 'self tag' machine which requires human interaction (cue queue for a desk), and ID.
Yep, I realised that. I was just hoping that once it's tagged, nobody's gonna care what time it is
Does LCY even have left luggage? Pertinent question for me since I'm flying LCY-AMS in two weeks' time and need somewhere to dump my bag for about 6 hours (I've always got the folks round the corner, but wouldn't want to impose).
Apparently, there is indeed left luggage at LCY.

Search this Thread