Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA should enhance its E-TICKET delivery by sending PDFs

BA should enhance its E-TICKET delivery by sending PDFs

Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Where does it say you must have a paper copy to hand?
It does not say you are obligated to have a paper copy. But a prepared traveller should have one. And the fact is many travellers do always carry one printed E-ticket. So what is your grudge about asking BA to provide E-ticket in PDF format?
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
It does not say you are obligated to have a paper copy. But a prepared traveller should have one. And the fact is many travellers do always carry one printed E-ticket. So what is your grudge about asking BA to provide E-ticket in PDF format?
No grudge. Just trying to help you print fewer pages which is what I understand you want to achieve. Seems senseless to print stuff you don't need to.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:16 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Other airlines manage to provide a printable e-ticket that doesn't include large amounts of superfluous guff. BA, for whatever reason, seemingly don't. No doubt there are reasons for this that benefit BA but there seems to be less value to passengers in this regard.

It's a valid point from the OP, regardless of whether there is a perceived need to carry hard copies of documentation.

Programs: OWS, *A G
Am I the only one here thinks BA's E-ticket delivery been ridiculous?
I think anyone who has had print his etkt to make an expense claim, as is a requirement at my company, agrees with you ^
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If wanting to print out relevant part of ticket, why not just select the pages relevant and only print those? This is the same whether BA was to use portable data format or not. If it was in that format , it could likely still have all the other information in it anyway

The information provided about the US entry requirements does not require that it be printed - could show the agent an electronic copy.
Suspended
Original Poster

No grudge. Just trying to help you print fewer pages which is what I understand you want to achieve. Seems senseless to print stuff you don't need to.
So would it be better for BA to help me reduce the pages I would print? Or you think BA should keep its wasteful emails?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So would it be better for BA to help me reduce the pages I would print? Or you think BA should keep its wasteful emails?
Whilst that may be ideal, you can already reduce the pages you print by using mobile bps, and selective page printing of your eticket should you need a paper copy.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If wanting to print out relevant part of ticket, why not just select the pages relevant and only print those? This is the same whether BA was to use portable data format or not
I tried. Except depends on how many sectors you have in one ticket, you may have your flight information on page 1 and 2, then have your ticket numbers and payment information across page 3 and 4. So in the end you still end up print a minimum of 3 pages.

For instance, one of the ticket I have, the page one would have PNR and half of the flight information, the second page has the second half. Then the email is followed by Checked baggage, Extra Baggage, then Extra Baggage charges across page 2 and 3, plus Disability and Mobility Assistance, following by Your Paid Meal (none in fact) information. Ticket number and payment information passenger details are across page 3 and 4.

Please teach me how to solve this issue. I am really eager to learn.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:23 am

There may be a breakdown in communications here but several people have asked you why don't you just set your printer to print the pdf pages you actually need. So if they send you a 10 page email and only pages 2 and 3 are relevant then why not just print those off? That way nothing is wasted.

I do agree conceptually that a simple pdf would work (for EK I normally get a 1/2 page eticket and a longer 'conditions of carriage' document), however you can effectively do this yourself and I am sure with all the systems issues BA have these days it isn't a top priority.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I agree with the OP partly, and with simons1 above, as I need to print out the ticket details for billing purposes. The electronic receipt comes to 6 pages, but I only need the first four as that bit covers the booking to the payment. I set my printer to only print pages 1-4 (and ignore the T&C's) and to print all four pages on 1 page of A4. If the OP wants to reduce his paper but have it in more readable format then just print on 2 pages per page of A4 - it will halve your paper output!

Having just an e-receipt which was only details of flight and cost etc (as done by EK etc) all on one page would be easier though.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:42 am

I've moaned on here in the past about having to print out four pages for my expenses, when all the necessary info would easily fit on a page.

And as for not even getting the t&cs in all that puff - well you couldn't make it up.

But at least two times that I recall, someone from BA has posted to say the receipts are being redesigned to be printer friendly. That was ages ago but it doesn't seem to have happened.

I think the PDF part of the OP's request is irrelevant. It's the content and layout that's the problem, not the file format.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A revised eticket email would be great.

Printed tickets or confirmations are useful to have when getting off the beaten track. I have been asked at immigration for onward tickets in a few countries - in the last couple of years Fiji, Palau, Papua New Guinea as well as at check in when using one way tickets when the country has an inward ticket requirement. CX at HKG were very hot on this. Sometimes showing them on your phone is fine, but paper always works better.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
The email receipt format is somewhat annoying. I save my receipts for accounting purposes by saving as PDF, and the HTML that BA deliver has a few glitches in it (malformed markup) such that only the first page will print or save to PDF with my email client (Postbox on a Mac).

There is really no strong technical reason to not deliver a concise PDF for expense report reasons.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I haven't ever been asked to show my eticket on entering the US - in fact I don't think I have been asked anywhere for one, although I haven't done the TWOV in China yet.
I was even asked to show a copy of my ESTA when on the ESTA website tells that is not required to print it! Lucky girl I am...

At ZNZ I was also asked to show my confirmation/return ticket before being allowed to enter the departure hall. Of course the only time I did not have anything on paper and my phone was having big trouble connecting. The guard took pity after 5 minutes of arguing with the phone with no avail.

Usually I print only relevant parts of tickets/itinerary and hotel booking ref. and ask for paper BPs at check-in desk, since I do not trust my phone (last Thalys trip crashed just before being asked for the ticket) and I am well aware of Murphy's Law
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point - e-ticket copies are often required for visa applications too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.