Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Cymro
The starter, I agree.

The ice cream, probably.

The missing second meal and the removal of the tuck box - anyone who flies semi-regularly in long-haul economy on any competitor will pick up on that one. As will their kids.
The tuck boxes are only on flights over 8.30, these flights retain the second meal, the flights with the "basket of shame" never the tuck box.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
This constant downgrading of service in small increments is really horrible for customers. How can you ever know what kind of product and service you'll end up with by the time you fly? I have flights already booked and now wonder how bad will these "enhancements" get by then.

I think the lack of meals in WT/WT+ will definitely be noticed when people are starving at the end of their flights. The changes in CW service aren't as drastic, at this point. But who knows what will be coming next. They're probably just starting slowly to see how much they can push their CW customers.

It's all a deplorable way to deal with customers.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
One good thing has happened here...fever tree in all cabins. I don't travel in WT and have done WT+ twice in the last 3 years but for those who do this is a genuine enhancement. Also can't hurt the healthy stock price of fever tree which I have seen a 100% return on in around a year of being a shareholder.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alta, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
no Ice Cream!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by bafan
How often have you not had your first choice of starter ? I don't think I've ever not received my first choice. And I think this is a real cut to the CW service. Very poor show by BA.
The only time recently that I recall not getting my first choice was in AA F. On my recent BA F flight they were definitely short on the popular choice (a very nice seared prawn dish). That said, I'm sure there are some passengers without status that do not end up with their choice.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by colm
no Ice Cream!
Freeze the fever tree. It's BA panacea.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
A few years ago if you were travelling in economy, BA would always be the choice over AA, not any more. I never thought i would be typing that
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:24 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
A few years ago if you were travelling in economy, BA would always be the choice over AA, not any more. I never thought i would be typing that
I wouldn't go that far yet. BA's soft product may be getting crappier by the month, but AA hates economy passengers and their crew makes damn sure you know it.

BA's staff at least manage to be pleasant even if the rest of their offering isn't so much.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The tuck boxes are only on flights over 8.30, these flights retain the second meal, the flights with the "basket of shame" never the tuck box.
Allegedly the crew walk down the aisle with the 'basket of shame' and offer the passengers "muffin or nuffin" - amused me anyway...
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:32 am

Has Jeff Smisek been retained as a consultant by BA?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
There was an analyst note released about 18 months ago that picked up on the fact that the ability to squeeze margins any harder without pissing off passengers had been exhausted. The monthly product erosion shows this perfectly - the cuts are now meaningful to passengers.

(Must admit I was a bit surprised when I saw that we had no choice of starter on my CW flight next month, but thought it was a gatwick thing...)
Do you have a copy Swiss? It would be an interesting read.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
CW
Arrival lounge invitations to only be given out for flights arriving before 12.00, does that mean that the lounge is now going to close at 12.00 instead of 14.00?
I don't even recall getting an Arrival Lounge "invitation" on my last couple of flights (arriving well before noon). We just know to head to the lounge upon arrival.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Actually they are not an invitation but a information card, entry is by eligible boarding card or status, if you know how to get there you don't need the card.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Calum
Only people on this forum will notice the changes.
Originally Posted by Cymro
The starter, I agree.

The ice cream, probably.

The missing second meal and the removal of the tuck box - anyone who flies semi-regularly in long-haul economy on any competitor will pick up on that one. As will their kids.
I certainly doubt the CW change would be noticed outside these hallowed portals. I really can't remember where the ice cream was edible, as opposed to drinkable, and though the yoghurts are a better idea, given the weakness of the fridge, I imagine the wastage on this was huge. The starter? Well a choice is nice but as indicated it's not that often seen in business class these days (it is on my current SriLankan wifi enabled CDG-CMB service, choice of goose liver pâté or vegetable terrine). Lufthansa offers a choice of 3 starters, Air France just the one, KLM typically offers the choice between a fish starter or soup.

On the other hand the changes this time (and last month) in WT/WTP are quite detrimental. If the IFE goes down the food service is pretty much the only thing to look forward too, and I was quite impressed by the effort that went into the design and content of the second meal boxes.

The two things that will make a difference are adverse Customer Voice scores - so make sure you feedback to crew on the afflicted services; also the corporate customers who send their unfortunate staff in WT or WTP: I would hope their account managers will point out to BA that since the service has deteriorated the fare constructs should be reviewed too. A downward spiral none the less.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
There was an analyst note released about 18 months ago that picked up on the fact that the ability to squeeze margins any harder without pissing off passengers had been exhausted. The monthly product erosion shows this perfectly - the cuts are now meaningful to passengers.
That's interesting. I've read the IAG analysts' reports at the place I work (major bank), and while they comment on many things, I hadn't read anything in relation to what I've highlighted in your text.

I just re-read one, focusing on IAG and the North Atlantic long haul market, particularly as it's the most profitable in the world for airlines (across cabins).

It therefore amazes me that BA decided to downgrade their offering in non-premium cabins on these exact routes. One of the most illogical decisions in relation to overall route profitability, especially when faced with new entrant threats from the likes of Norwegian. If passengers feel like they're on an LCC then they might as well be, and benefit from the cheaper price.

Classic bean-counter salami-slice cuts with no reference to the wider/strategic importance to the firm of their most important markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.