Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: golfmad
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

The vegan / vegetarian food thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
The response I got from CS on a fruit-only breakfast, twice:

Thanks for your comments about our catering service. Please accept my apologies for this late reply. I completely understand why you, and specially your girlfriend, are annoyed you found only fruits in her vegetarian meal. We know how important it is for us to offer our customers the correct meals and I’m so sorry about what happened. I absolutely agree we’ve let you down.

We choose our catering partners carefully and we set very high standards for food preparation. Our suppliers must have strict processes in place when preparing all meals. We have our own Technical Standards for Food Safety and we continue to run our own Quality Programme. Our catering facilities are expected to meet these standards and we’re audited frequently by an independent accredited globally recognised audit organisation. Once any food is on board our aircraft, we also have strict rules for the storage and preparation of food.

From what you’ve told us, our catering suppliers have failed on this occasion and I’ve made sure they’re aware of what happened. Their future performance will be monitored and we’re very grateful you took the time to contact us. It’s only through receiving your comments we’re able to focus on areas where we need to improve.

Thanks for getting in touch with us, as your feedback is essential to help us improve our service. We value your support as a member of our Executive Club. I hope we can welcome you on board again soon. Please feel free to contact me directly using the blue link below if I can help you with anything else.
After another reply, they offered 5000 avios!

Last edited by florens; Nov 22, 2016 at 4:47 am
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest
BA28 HKG-LHR 20.11.16 World Traveller - VGML Vegan Meal Pasta with mushrooms and vegetables.
Looks better than some of the meals I've endured in First
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
A link to this thread has been added to the forum dashboard which I hope will help you find this thread whenever you need to refer to, or add to it.

Thanks! Good to see and much appreciated
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
I recently fashioned my own vegetarian afternoon tea on a CW flight by raiding the Club Kitchen in advance to nab a sandwich pack (which included one cheese and one egg sandwich), and combining these two with the one egg sandwich in the regular afternoon tea pack.

It wasn't my finest culinary moment, and I still feel guilty about the three wasted meaty/fishy sandwiches which means I probably wouldn't do it again - but definitely it beat the usual half-frozen houmous sandwich I always seem to end up with for long-haul VLML afternoon tea...

(also pictured: lemon drizzle cake and chocolate & cassis Opéra cake)
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Can't seem to get the images working on my phone, will try later on a computer.

Ordered the vegan meal on LHR-HKG. My preious experiences with BA vegan meals have been terrible so I usually bring my own snacks to get through the flight. I didn't need them this time!

The appetizer was pretty sad and the CC were so embarrassed, they gave me extra bread and a salad from the regular app. The main was excellent, a lovely sweet potato curry. I was so full that I slept through breakfast and landed feeling refreshed and not hungry, a first for me and BA.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Would be really nice if BA could label the veggie options on their menus.

AA have started doing this so I now don't bother pre-ordering a veggie meal if I'm in business because I know there will be a veggie starter, veggie main, sometimes a veggie desert and always a veggie before landing option (normally the salad with the chicken omitted or the veggie pizza).

I'm never sure on BA because they use fancy words for some of their ingredients. Fancy words that I can't google on the wifi-less planes.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:01 am

Recent LHR-JFK Vegan main course

I am reliably informed it was 'nice'.

Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Vegetarian options for all meals/courses?

I'm taking my first long-haul BA flight next week (LHR–SIN in Club World) and am wondering if I should order a special meal or just pre-order the vegetarian option from the regular menu. I'd normally get a vegan meal, but having followed this thread, I think I might be a bit more lenient with my principles on this special occasion.

If I do order the regular vegetarian main, will there be vegetarian options for my starter and for breakfast as well, or do I risk being served meat at some point? I'll be sitting in 16A (last row on the 777), so I gather I'll also be one of the last to choose.

Another option would be the Asian vegetarian special meal. What would that likely entail?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
VGML on new CE Domestic

GLA - LHR - Hot breakfast was mushroom omelette, diced potatoes, tomato and spinach. It was served with yoghurt and choice of croissant or roll, jam or marmalade, and surprisingly the tray had real butter.

Afternoon flight (16.20 LHR - GLA) - my neighbour and I had both ordered veggie meals and got different dishes. I'd requested lacto-ovo and I got a cold main dish of mozzarella, tomato and pesto salad served with slice of Dundee cake. Main was nicely presented with nasturtium and pea shoots garnish, and all very tasty. Suspect my neighbour's meal was vegan as it was veggie sushi (no soy sauce) and standard fruit plate.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
WTP LHR-BOS-LHR Vegan and Ovo/Lacto out and back

BA213 LHR BOS [A380] -- Veg Vegan VGML
Cross between a korma and green thai curry, with tofu. Tasty enough! Beetroot type salad side

BA238 BOS-LHR [B789] -- Veg Ovo/Lacto VLML
Meat free breakfast omelette. One of those Russian roulette type choices where I could have stuck with standard catering on this particular flight as the non-full English option on this day flight was a vegetarian pasta dish.

[sorry, can't figure out how you get pics to follow each caption]
Attached Images   

Last edited by NoTiersForMe; Apr 24, 2017 at 8:48 am Reason: tried to position images between text. and failed
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:45 pm

I just got back from my CW trip to Singapore and did end up booking the AVML for both of my return legs (SIN–LHR–TXL). Dinner was curry, followed by curry for breakfast and finally curry for brunch on the short-haul leg. They all looked awful but tasted nice. They were very filling, even more so since I had made the mistake of snacking too much in the lounges beforehand.

The starter was a salad with a salad on the side. Genius!

The main course. "Smells gorgeous, that one" was the FA's comment, and it tasted it too. Great for people who like tofu. I like tofu.

I'm not quite sure what the dessert was. It was similar to rice pudding with pistachios and maybe a hint of green tea? The taste was okay but the presentation was just sad.

And for completeness, here's the breakfast. Not sure what it was, again not much of a looker but tasty – just a bit early for what I thought was a fairly heavy meal. Not pictured are the pastries and fruit (grapes, pineapple, pitaya, watermelon and orange, all delicious – not surprising, coming from SIN).

All in all, I don't think I'll be ordering an AVML on long-haul again. It tasted okay but was just too much for me – I didn't finish a single meal. And I realise I can't order an asian vegetarian meal and then complain about getting curry, but after the third one in 16 hours, I was getting a bit bored of it. In future, I'll probably stick with the VGML or just risk the vegetarian option from the regular menu.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Domestic CE VLML dinner offerings:

LGW - GLA on Friday was a salad (fine, but a bit dry - no dressing).

GLA - LCY yesterday was a lovely veggie lasagne.

I will definitely choose to fly to/from LCY in future, you'd think that BA would be consistent in its meal options, but clearly not.
Attached Images   

Last edited by albpenny; Apr 25, 2017 at 4:56 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by albpenny
Domestic CE VGML dinner offerings:

LGW - GLA on Friday was a salad (fine, but a bit dry - no dressing).

GLA - LCY yesterday was a lovely veggie lasagne.

I will definitely choose to fly to/from LCY in future, you'd think that BA would be consistent in its meal options, but clearly not.
Your LGW-GLA meal was the exact one i had on JER-LGW.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by albpenny
Domestic CE VGML dinner offerings:
Surely with eggs and cheese in the salad that's a VLML (lacto-ovo), not a VGML (vegan)? But in that case, why the need to insult you with the Del Monte fruit bag for dessert? BA is full of wonder.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by waffle
Surely with eggs and cheese in the salad that's a VLML (lacto-ovo), not a VGML (vegan)? But in that case, why the need to insult you with the Del Monte fruit bag for dessert? BA is full of wonder.
you're absolutely correct - will amend, I do order the VLML.

To be honest, I didn't think about the fruit-in-a-bag thing, but agreed it isn't exactly premium!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.