Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: golfmad
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

The vegan / vegetarian food thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
When it comes to afternoon tea, is the salad with aubergine/tofu with an apple still the deal? Is it better or less good than the Asian vegetarian alternative?
This appears to be the current rotation for the VLML afternoon tea replacement (on band 2/3 at least):

...a slightly blurry LHR-BCN last week

..and LHR-TXL the week before.

Not the most inspiring dish, I have to say! I much prefer the current brunch replacement, which is quite a pleasant mozzarella, pesto and rocket salad:

...MAD-LHR yesterday
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
This appears to be the current rotation for the VLML afternoon tea replacement (on band 2/3 at least):
Thanks so much! I'm trying to identify the lot - I see grilled courgettes, boiled or roasted carrots, some fennel. Are the other two things a bit of cold omelette and some tabulleh? Or is it lentils?

One thing I do note is that you get fruit/dessert which is a plus compared to the normal afternoon tea while the AVML only gets the apple right?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:33 am

Thanks so much! I'm trying to identify the lot - I see grilled courgettes, boiled or roasted carrots, some fennel. Are the other two things a bit of cold omelette and some tabulleh? Or is it lentils?

One thing I do note is that you get fruit/dessert which is a plus compared to the normal afternoon tea while the AVML only gets the apple right?
You've almost identified everything correctly - the two other things are indeed tabbouleh and a hummus (presumably sun-dried tomato or similar from the colour)!

Whether you get a fruit plate/normal pudding/apple seems to be a bit random even with VLMLs - occasionally an apple does appear (which on one memorable occasion from GVA recently was shrink-wrapped!), but more often than not these days, it does seem to be the fruit plate.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Whether you get a fruit plate/normal pudding/apple seems to be a bit random even with VLMLs - occasionally an apple does appear (which on one memorable occasion from GVA recently was shrink-wrapped!), but more often than not these days, it does seem to be the fruit plate.
But do you ever get a real dessert or fruit plate rather than the apple with the AVML? My impression from the other posts is that it seems to be the apple every time, which sounds like a sad way to end a meal!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by waffle
You seem to have had more luck with AA than I did then. I did thoroughly enjoy my transatlantic flights in J with them, but not because the catering was so great. On the westbound I had bizarre pasta-like balls (black and white and around 3–5 millimetres in diameter – never seen them before or again, and not in much of a hurry to do so) that were most favourably described as filling.
It may be "Israeli couscous", ptitim (a substance mostly unrelated to couscous) or Maftoul (a variant of couscous). From your description it sounds more like ptitim.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:12 am

But do you ever get a real dessert or fruit plate rather than the apple with the AVML? My impression from the other posts is that it seems to be the apple every time, which sounds like a sad way to end a meal!
To be honest, I'm struggling to remember the last time I ordered a shorthaul AVML - I only tend to experience them when Mr JtO and I are travelling longhaul together, when we often order one VLML and one AVML so we're not eating exactly the same cr@p menu. So I don't know the answer, I'm afraid - but I'm definitely in agreement that an apple is NOT the way to end an onboard meal...!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:37 am

but I'm definitely in agreement that an apple is NOT the way to end an onboard meal...!
Exactly! I would have taken a ripe quality mango or a passionfruit though!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by florens
Good morning from T5!

So we just came in on the 66 from PHL in WTP. BA really needs to work on two things:

First, the dinner took forever. We were well
into the Atlantic when lights were dimmed. It took 2.5h to serve dinner. Even the trays in the WT cabin were cleared sooner. Really?

Second, vegatarian meals: the meal on the dinner tray was wrong, twice. First we got a hindu/asian vegetarian meal, then just the main on the tray was replaced by some vegetarian pasta, but the dessert was again asian vegetarian. We finally managed to get the correct meal. Breakfast however was a big joke. Why on earth would BA load a vegetarian meal consisting of - oh wonder- fruits, when their regular 'refreshment' box consists of a cream cheese pretzel (which is vegetarian obviuously)?!

I also noticed that there was a problem with the meal of at least one other passanger in the WTP cabin.

We're lucky to be able to grab breakfast in the lounge now killing time on our 5h layover...

I showed a lot of tolerance in the past but now I am really not happy anymore!
Here a picture of the VLML (breakfast, ah, light refreshment) on BA66 31/10:

Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
I have had the fruit plate the last several times I've ordered a special meal, however the small chocolate pots are usually left untouched by many passengers, leading cabin crew to collect several and offer them out

Last edited by Egoldstein; Nov 2, 2016 at 8:48 am
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Housekeeping notice

A link to this thread has been added to the forum dashboard which I hope will help you find this thread whenever you need to refer to, or add to it.

Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
BA11 LHR-SIN 12.11.16 World Traveller - VGML Vegan Meal Cous cous with mushrooms

Apparently this meal was very tasty, but my partner was quite astounded by the 86ml cuplet of water on a 12˝ hour flight.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
BA11 LHR-SIN 12.11.16 World Traveller - VGML Vegan Meal - second meal.

Apologies for the poor quality under the challenging light conditions.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:58 am

BA28 HKG-LHR 20.11.16 World Traveller - VGML Vegan Meal Pasta with mushrooms and vegetables.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:58 am

BA28 HKG-LHR 20.11.16 World Traveller - VGML Vegan Meal - second meal

Under the vegetables was a very soggy muffin!
Attached Images  
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Broccoli for breakfast?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.