Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Premium Gatwick - LGW North new Fastrack - experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

There is plenty of commentary in this forum on the Premium Gatwick fast track facility, going back several years. BA is the main customer of this channel. Recently this has been moved and revamped into a new location, and this thread serves to replace comments which largely don't apply any more. Particularly advice from me and others suggesting that Premium Gatwick should be avoided: the new arrangement changes that.

Zone E, directly in from of Jamie's Coffee gaff, so this is half way along the departures area with BA's check on the far left (zone A). If HBO then you save some walking.

Opening hours:
Now open all day long, whereas the previous facility was sometimes closed early or late on.

Process:
Again some big changes here. The photos show the entrance area. As you enter there is a bit of space and then a row of self serve entry barriers. You place your App, OLCI or BA issued boarding card barcode. If going UK+Dependencies+Ireland, as soon as the barcode has been accepted, look up and right to the camera area: there is a small white screen telling you where to look. After the gates have opened you are at a 6 person multiple occupancy row, trays underneath similar to T5. So grab a tray, put your PCs, liquids and complex wires on to one tray, your bag into the next tray. I find it easier if you put the tray in sideways you can get your bag alongside.

Channels:
The new arrangement allows for flexibility on the number of positions open, so they can use one channel of 6 people, or tensa off the adjoining channel to add another 6 people. I've used this 3 times in the last fortnight, one one occasion they kept the machine dedicated for fast track; on another they were bringing passengers from normal track to the channel but allowed fast trackers to go immediately to an unpacking position (this was when they were busy with normal track); on the final occasion the whole area was very quiet and two channels were open for fast track and no waiting for anyone.

Photos:
This shows the entrance area coming from the BA check-in area.

This shows the entrance from the other side, taken a few seconds after the first photo, but showing queues for normal track.

This was a busy afternoon, and they were apologising on the PA about this (heard that at T5 anyone?) but I doubt anyone spent more than 10 minutes in normal track.

Experiences:
My 3 timings were (arrive at gate to collection of trays at the end):
2 mins 32 seconds
2 mins 59 seconds
3 mins 40 seconds

Advantages:
- It's faster! Fast track LGW used to be problematic since once-a-year travellers, some of them quite elderly, mostly arriving many hours before departure, generally unfamiliar with the protocols, could take a long time to be processed and the previous arrangement meant that every passenger was dealt with sequentially. The multiple positions allows for a few passengers to take their time and give scope for the frequent traveller to zip through.
- Flexibility: GAL can easily increase or decrease the size of fast track to take account of demand, win-win for everyone.
- Reliability: No knowing whether to allow 10 minutes or 30 minutes to get through LGW was always a nuisance, LHR T5 almost never exceeds 10 minutes if you know what you are doing. Now LGW is better than LHR - even though there have also been a lot of improvements at T5 in the last year or two.

Disadvantages:
- If you get done for a secondary (typically you have left liquids, or something that could be liquid, in your bag or have a mass of wires) then you will be held up. As with LHR the bag goes into a separate channel and there can be a number of trays to be processed first.
- The exit point is at the far end of the shopping area, some distance from the No. 1 Traveller Lounge and most gates. It's a good 4 minutes walk to No. 1.
- The previous system deployed a lot of staff in a dedicated area, which may have given some premium feel, though it was lost on me if there were 18 people in front of me. Now you are in a big hall, there's a lot of automation and self serve, which is perhaps a bit ruthless but frankly it works.
- As with all these multiple user systems, if you are nearest the scanner you may fight to get a space to push your tray through. Unless stopped, I used the tip that was pointed out elsewhere in FT, nudge a corner into the belt area, stop the tray behind and swing your tray into the newly vacant space.
- There is now a body scanner at Premium Security if you fail the work through metal detector. Same system as EDI, walk through with shoes on, if you get pinged there is no personal searching, you are directed to the scanner. Under UK regulation, the body scanner can be declined for a personal search instead, but they don't encourage that option one little bit.

Conclusion:
This is similar to the setup in LGW South, where Premium Gatwick is part of the main search area. GAL have put a lot of effort and thought into the process, security was always friendlier there than HAL, and now I have to say the dividend is great. Security - once a reason to avoid LGW - is now a reason to use that airport. There are improvements in the arrivals area too, and though there is no getting around the long distances, altogether using Gatwick is a better place than it was, and vastly better than Stansted.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 19, 2016 at 5:59 am
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
My times are in the range CWS indicates.
I will just add the 'normal track' merges from the right before the unpacking area. There can be a bit of a stand-off as to who gets beckoned over first to unpack. I waited and watched 4 or 5 of the 'normal' queue go through before a helper emerged and asked me to step forward. She remarked they normally reserve the front two spots for Fast Track ... so I guess you can claim them if in a rush (1K and 2K as it were ).
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I like it much better than the old set up, it's so much faster, although I did walk right past it the first week it was open... and Sod's law normal track was heaving that night!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks cws, and I look forward to using it in under 2 weeks time. It is no secret I had begun to avoid old premium security due to the problems you noted.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:34 am

Went through it in Sunday. Very rapid, less than 2 mins. I did set the beeper off and had the shoes/scan routine which was really easy.

Much better than the old Premium set up.

If you wanted to be mega picky it's a walk to the lounges from security exit but that really is first world problems territory.

The owners of LGW have been working hard to upgrade the place, whenever possible I prefer LGW, fortunately the fourth daily EK flight will soon be starting up.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Thank you for the report, CWS.

I can now leave it till later to turn up at LGW
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Very useful report thank you
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Tried it a couple of weeks ago when it was very new and it was superb. A good system, plenty of staff, and above all the friendliness of the people working there really stood out. They had flip charts out on the other side to enable people to write comments and it seemed like everyone thought the same.

Mind you, flew through LHR a week later and the new north fast track was almost as good. Really busy start of school holidays Sunday for the airport but the passage through couldn't be easier. It's a well kept secret, First check in were still directing pax to south fast track but the queue there was huge
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've been through twice, once at 5am and it was empty while the rest of the hall was packed. The second time was between 10 and 11 in the morning and it was empty yet again, despite massive queues at all check in desks (maybe the slow drip of passengers from check in to security had something to do with it.)

While I dislike LGW in comparison to LHR in every other way, security is an aspect which actually works better. ^

Now all we need is a neat white door leading from security straight into a newly renovated Flounge.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:29 am

Deleted, duplicate..
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've been through the new Premium Security twice last weekend - Friday around 2pm and Saturday around 9am. As you noted C-W-S it was very quick and efficient - basically no waiting time at all. My only concern was much longer, then before, walk to the lounges
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
The irony is that BA are moving in 4 (?) months time. Still, I am glad that we can not all get more quickly to that Circus that calls itself a Lounge -which as we all know is a temporary arrangement (if you happen tothink that one year is temporary, I don't) until BA move in 4 months time. Did I miss something?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
The irony is that BA are moving in 4 (?) months time. Still, I am glad that we can not all get more quickly to that Circus that calls itself a Lounge -which as we all know is a temporary arrangement (if you happen tothink that one year is temporary, I don't) until BA move in 4 months time. Did I miss something?
I agree completely, the general chaos and disorganisation of the main terminal just flows over to the lounge complex. Not a good atmosphere at all.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
4 months? Sorry, at least 6 and more likely we'll have time to have a baby before we actually get a chance to use it!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Thanks for the info. We are there in September when flying from DUB then on to MCO. I don't suppose we'll have time to visit the lounge but if we're delayed in LGW, it's good to have the info.

Katie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.