Troika Cloud Sculpture T5 Lounges

Old Mar 11, 18, 3:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
What I also liked about Troika was that the sound was reminiscent of the older flip boards for airline/train arrivals and departures, harking back to a different time (as a side benefit to the sculpture.

Damn I'm getting old as not only do I remember both the Troika and All the time in the world working during trips through T5 but the flip boards are now also a thing of the past...

*sigh*
Old Mar 11, 18, 4:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

As art pieces go, Troika might be a bit of a bugger* to dismount and relocate for repair.

* a better form of expression fails me
Old Mar 11, 18, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BotB View Post
Damn I'm getting old as not only do I remember both the Troika and All the time in the world working during trips through T5 but the flip boards are now also a thing of the past...

*sigh*
Solari boards are still very much around in Germany, including at both Frankfurt Airport and the Hauptbahnof. Some airports like Belgrade still have the side light flashing to indicate boarding.
Crampedin13A and Dave_C like this.
Old Mar 11, 18, 4:30 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Solari boards are still very much around in Germany, including at both Frankfurt Airport and the Hauptbahnof. Some airports like Belgrade still have the side light flashing to indicate boarding.
Thanks c-w-s, yes, FRA is one that did spring to mind and as you say, even I have seen many still in use in Eastern European countries....long may that continue...Thanks for trying to cheer me up!

I'll lend you my mix tape cassette next time we meet up!
Old Mar 11, 18, 4:32 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Also in the qantas first class lounges in Sydney and Melbourne.
Old Mar 11, 18, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Boston South Station replaced its Solari board with a large solid state display awhile back, but kept a sound recording of changes going for some time to ease the changeover for regulars. Bostonians are used to being head-down focused on their Dunkin coffee and/or magazine/book/paper/device and only checking the board when it makes a noise.
Old Mar 11, 18, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by baflyer999 View Post
Now it just looks like BA commissions things that break and they can't afford to repair them. Not a great message to give when you're running an airline. I always cringe when I see them featured onboard in the high life video ident.
I have not visited the south lounges for many years. I think the last time was 2013 and ever since I have headed to Galleries Club North.

But the old clackety-clack of the cloud was always rather fun and the wall of times was a pleasant distraction. Not being bothered to pay to repair these artworks is shoddy at best and shameful at worst - where is their pride?!
Old Mar 11, 18, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
I have not visited the south lounges for many years. I think the last time was 2013 and ever since I have headed to Galleries Club North.

But the old clackety-clack of the cloud was always rather fun and the wall of times was a pleasant distraction. Not being bothered to pay to repair these artworks is shoddy at best and shameful at worst - where is their pride?!
Calm down man....

It might just be a case of they can't get hold of the one bloke in the world who's competent enough to fix the damn thing.
Old Mar 11, 18, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this a shame every time I go past!
Old Mar 11, 18, 5:37 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Whoever the BA art-wallah is should probably commission something from Carl Andre next time.
Old Mar 11, 18, 6:00 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Is there another time-related art installation somewhere in Heathrow, partly pale green/blue coloured with various clock faces embedded in it? Or am I imagining things?
This one perhaps? Between T5’s parking and terminal
Old Mar 11, 18, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
As art pieces go, Troika might be a bit of a bugger* to dismount and relocate for repair.

* a better form of expression fails me
A phrase I heard in regard to something similar was "It's like repairing railway locomotives already underway: Technically interesting, but not much fun"
Prospero likes this.
Old Mar 12, 18, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Why not installing a 1:5 model of the Concorde in it's place, or is it a bit obvious for an airport?
Old Mar 12, 18, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Nils21 View Post
Why not installing a 1:5 model of the Concorde in it's place, or is it a bit obvious for an airport?
You mean replace a couple pieces of art representing a better and richer history with a 1:5 model of a plane representing a more technologically advanced past?
Worcester and Nils21 like this.
Old Mar 12, 18, 4:18 am

Such a shame it's been simply left to gather dust. I guess it's a metaphor for what's happened to BA generally over the past ten years.
kaka likes this.

Search this Thread