Changing FQTV number for BA Flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If you want the freedom to credit individual sectors to individual FFPs, then

a) Never put ANY FFP number in ANY of your bookings
b) Once you have flown, do a retro-claim for each sector separately in each programme though, be warned, some programmes will "hoover up" all the other unclaimed sectors when you do this.
Aha, what a great idea. Yes this would certainly solve the OP's problem and save time constantly attempting to change numbers. For access to fast track or lounges the passenger could simply show whichever card they have status on, but make the point to the agent that the number is not to be added to the booking.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Turboprince
There are assumptions that it is not a priority for BA to make this freedom available, because it is something that happens very rarely.
Yet a lot of other members have stated (in this and other threads) that they are familiar with the (lengthy) process that they have to go through when they ask for miles to be un-credited from their BA account in order to then be retroactively credited to another account.
Therefore, many of us have apparently already been there.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
In a nutshell, it's because the desire for this functionality to work is an edge case requested by very few people; and because there are much more important things for the airline to work on than this low-importance low-priority question. That is reflected in the fact that IME other airlines don't get this right either.
FTers are a very poor example from which to extrapolate the prevalence of any particular type of request. As a population, we're tend to be adept to greater or lesser degrees at gaming using to our best advantage the various quirks of airlines' systems. But you only need to consider the proportion of the passenger population which flies without even having a frequent flyer number, let alone get anywhere near having multiple scheme memberships that have to be juggled.

Hence the almost unanimous view here that it's an edge case, and a low-priority problem. Even as someone who's tried to do this and failed, and who likes to get the most of out all the possibilities of flying, I would also rather that the airline devoted its resources to solving more pressing and important problems than this.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, OnBusiness, Eurostar C.Blanche
I have moved on.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Simple change from BA to AA FFN prior to flight

Hi, I just purchased a flight + hotel package from BA.com while logged into my Executive club account. I forgot to change the FFN to my AA# (I need the whole trip to credit to AA) prior to purchase.

Is the Finnair website still the best way to do this change? Or should I call in, and if I call in will it get screwed up?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by fanger
Hi, I just purchased a flight + hotel package from BA.com while logged into my Executive club account. I forgot to change the FFN to my AA# (I need the whole trip to credit to AA) prior to purchase.

Is the Finnair website still the best way to do this change? Or should I call in, and if I call in will it get screwed up?

Thanks for the advice.
This thread has gone on for longer than I care to read. But I can give you some recommendations based on my multiple year experience with being both AA, and BA elite and one year of being AS elite and trying to make sure everything goes to the right account.
  • If you want to mix the target FF# on a single journey (For example, three outbound flights going to three FF programs), you need an expert travel agent or airline agent to enter the number segment by segment into your booking. Plus you have to make sure nobody along the route messes it up.
  • If you want to swap FF# entirely on the whole ticket (or one way journey), you have three options. From simple to hard:
    1. Use an online system such as finnair.com (if your booking is done by BA) and change it there before you check in and/or go to the airport. (Simplest)
    2. Give your FF card to the check in agent but not your passport first, and have them change the FF# BEFORE they check you in. (A bit harder because if you give your passport with the FF card, agents tend to ignore what you tell them and check you in before changing the number while listening to your telling them you want to change FF program)
    3. Get checked in with the wrong number, but then have them enter the correct number and then VALIDATE it. It seems there are two places where your FF# goes. One agent in an Admirals Club saw that my emerald status was not showing up on the boarding pass, nor when he scanned the boarding pass and said "Oh it is in there but not validated". He 'validated' the BA# and reprinted the BP which then showed emerald status. Miles posted to BA as expected by me. I am not sure what validating means and I would NEVER rely on that method, except with the very same person in that particular Admirals Club.
It seems to me that you should use method 1 and if that is not possible, use method 2.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
[*]Use an online system such as finnair.com (if your booking is done by BA) and change it there before you check in and/or go to the airport. (Simplest)
[/LIST][/LIST]It seems to me that you should use method 1 and if that is not possible, use method 2.
Thanks for the confirmation. I can confirm that as of Sep 2017 the Finnair.com method works smoothly to change a FF#on a booking in advance of travel.

As if to confirm that everything worked, the confirmation email appears to indicated that I was auto-assigned bulkhead seats for the outbound presumably based on Emerald status with the new FF#. Will check ba later.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.