Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have BA improved their seating algorithm ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Have BA improved their seating algorithm ?

I have some bookings that have recently had equipment changes and one cancellation.
The cancellation was auto rebooked, the aircraft the same AND I had the same seat <exit row>.
The equipment changes are for upcoming flights, both from 52J to 86J 747s, on one I kept the same seat as did my mother (2A/K) and the other MrD and myself went from 12J/K to 34A/B, all in all a result.
In previous years we have been separated by aisles, middle seated and back rowed.
I just wonder if the algorithm used has been improved, or if it is having some (albeit minor) status that changed the outcome ?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Theoretical Seating on FLY is supposed to be the new feature that assists here. Previous discussions here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-cw-seats.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ked-seats.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26811659-post300.html
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I suspect that by using the word 'algorithm' you are giving the hamster with painted feet too much credit.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Theoretical seating is much better at keeping links and seat characteristics than the previous system, especially when reaccommodations occur following config and equipment changes.
FYI, FLY is just an interface connecting to Altea via web services, so the algorithm behind is from Amadeus
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I suspect that by using the word 'algorithm' you are giving the hamster with painted feet too much credit.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I just booked TATL CW for two of us next March to take advantage of the sale and the AARP discount while they lasted. I chose seats together in the almost empty cabins during purchase. At the end BA.com informed me that the seats I chose were not available and moved us to well separated individual seats. I was able to move back to the seats that I originally chose but, unless the system knows something about my wife's preference that I don't, this seemed a bit weird.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
Sadly there was no improvement that I have witnessed recently.

On an ET flight from LGW. FLY decided I should be moved from 6A to 21A. Pretty disappointed with this outcome. This was a checked baggage fare and our seats were selected at time of booking. According to the check in agent, there was a change of aircraft and the new FLY system randomly selects new seating for everyone. So apparently Silver gets you the last rows in the cabin...! :/ Could there be 20 rows of GCH before us?!!

Any expert advice on why this might have happened?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Sadly there was no improvement that I have witnessed recently.

On an ET flight from LGW. FLY decided I should be moved from 6A to 21A. Pretty disappointed with this outcome. This was a checked baggage fare and our seats were selected at time of booking. According to the check in agent, there was a change of aircraft and the new FLY system randomly selects new seating for everyone. So apparently Silver gets you the last rows in the cabin...! :/ Could there be 20 rows of GCH before us?!!

Any expert advice on why this might have happened?
Could it be that it was randomly selected?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Oh that's too funny, and having experienced the tail end of a Fly meltdown I can imagine it.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
Smile

Stuff like this provides the necessary sanity bridge between 'blighty' and sitting alone in a PHX hotel restaurant half way through another TP run.

Btw at this hotel they have a system that spews chilled water vapour over your pool-side sunbed - it works - you can sit unshaded catching lots of UV at 110 DegF !!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
"BA" and "improved" can't normally stand in the same sentence.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

On the BA 1461 flight EDI-LHR tomorrow ( first leg of the flights to HNL) I was unable to select seats in advance. I come to OLCI this morning and get allocated 21AB ( looks like a 767) with no other seats available.
At least it is a short haul to LHR

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by wenzlydale
Stuff like this provides the necessary sanity bridge between 'blighty' and sitting alone in a PHX hotel restaurant half way through another TP run.

Btw at this hotel they have a system that spews chilled water vapour over your pool-side sunbed - it works - you can sit unshaded catching lots of UV at 110 DegF !!
We call these "misters" (probably a derivative of the term sprinkler). They're quite common at outdoor shopping malls and restaurants with a patio area.

I don't have misters at my house (many do), but we do have a heat/cool pump for our swimming pool, so we can reduce the water temperature this time of year from 36 to a more pleasant 31 (which feels cold compared to the air temperature).
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:53 am

I'm in shock.

I took two flights this week and selected the exit row window. Despite being busy flights, the middle seats stayed free both times.

Now I've just taken an HBO flight and although I've probably only done half a dozen such fares, not only did I get a window seat for the first time (my preference), but it was two rows back from the curtain and both aisle and window seats were empty

It wasn't a full flight by any means, but I couldn't see any other rows with just one occupant. The row behind me had three single travellers.

I don't know if it's luck or something aligned to status, but I'm liking it. Might treat myself to a lottery ticket this week
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wenzlydale

But is it imported mineral water from Fiji?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.